Disc crit gemming

What is the idea with this? I've seen quite a few disc priests gem intellect + crit in red sockets for example, over just straight intellect. Is this purely for healing throughput or does it increase DPS somehow? And if it increases healing throughput, would disc want to gem crit in every socket? Red: Int/Crit, Yellow: Crit, Blue: Spirit/Crit?

Yes. Crit is by far the best stat now due to its interaction with the level 90 talents. You're gaining a lot more effective output by going for Crit due to the fact that you're shifting the bulk of your healing towards DAs which have inherently low overhealing compared to actual heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    What is the idea with this? I've seen quite a few disc priests gem intellect + crit in red sockets for example, over just straight intellect. Is this purely for healing throughput or does it increase DPS somehow? And if it increases healing throughput, would disc want to gem crit in every socket? Red: Int/Crit, Yellow: Crit, Blue: Spirit/Crit?
    Derevka explains exactly what you're looking for in his Disc guide: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837

"You will notice, that in some cases and varying gear levels, increasing secondary stats (at the 2:1 ratio) may be superior to that of Primary Stats. (ie. Increasing 200 Crit being superior to 100 Intellect). Evaluating your stats with Adinne's HealCalcis one way of determining those for you." - From Derevka's guide.

You will mainly gem Misty's, Potent's & Smooth gems this tier but i suggest you use the calculator mentioned above. I only changed to full crit once i reached a certain lvl of SP - around 40k but Adinne's Healcalc will give ya more accurate info for your play style & gear etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxickbunny View Post
    Derevka explains exactly what you're looking for in his Disc guide: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837

"You will notice, that in some cases and varying gear levels, increasing secondary stats (at the 2:1 ratio) may be superior to that of Primary Stats. (ie. Increasing 200 Crit being superior to 100 Intellect). Evaluating your stats with Adinne's HealCalcis one way of determining those for you." - From Derevka's guide.

You will mainly gem Misty's, Potent's & Smooth gems this tier but i suggest you use the calculator mentioned above. I only changed to full crit once i reached a certain lvl of SP - around 40k but Adinne's Healcalc will give ya more accurate info for your play style & gear etc.
    What Derevka said applies to throughput though, not to the effects of gemming more crit. His explanation is suited better for DPS classes where mastery might lead to more DPS than int. But with disc you are given the choice of gemming crit even if int is superior in thoughput, simply because crit is less likely to overheal than int.

Although I have to say, this is quite hefty min-maxing as the result of switching from int to crit at the right SP only means throughput increases in 0.1% levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    Although I have to say, this is quite hefty min-maxing as the result of switching from int to crit at the right SP only means throughput increases in 0.1% levels.
    In practice, the effect is huge: on the order of 10%. The shifting away from overheals has a gigantic effect, and is not to be ignored.

Yes get crit to at least 30% and Mastery to 40% raid buffed. 400k Divine Aegis is awesome.