Thread: SoO LFR nerfed.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    nazgrim was never fun in lfr, people just cant figure out to stop atacking something..

Quote Originally Posted by Guinzil View Post
    It's kinda sad that they made Falling Ash a non-lethal ability. It's a big glowing red circle that takes ~10 seconds to fire up, if you die to that you f*cking had it coming.
    Except sometimes half of it is hidden under a building and the other half it glitches and hovers at knee-level and is hard to see if your camera isn't angled just so. 9/10 times I see it, but there have been a couple of times when I didn't realize it was there until it was too late to move all the way out of it.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-10-04 at 07:31 PM.

I just did the second half last night and my group still wiped on the shamans 5 or 6 times, and twice on Nazgrim. I don't think the encounters were ever tuned too high, people just aren't learning very fast, or at all.
    Avatar art by tumblr user kounyoukai

Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    I just did the second half last night and my group still wiped on the shamans 5 or 6 times, and twice on Nazgrim. I don't think the encounters were ever tuned too high, people just aren't learning very fast, or at all.
    And that's post-nerf. What is that telling you? Imagine how that group would have fared pre-nerf? I'm willing to be you wouldn't even have finished.

After doing Dark Shaman again I would say that if my experience is typical they will likely be nerfed a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    And that's post-nerf. What is that telling you? Imagine how that group would have fared pre-nerf? I'm willing to be you wouldn't even have finished.
    So basically what people want out of LFR is just a bunch of tank and spank encounters where nobody has to work together, nobody has to know what to do, no teamwork required? I don't have any problem with wiping in LFR, it makes it feel more like raiding and less like just getting free gear for doing nothing for an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    After doing Dark Shaman again I would say that if my experience is typical they will likely be nerfed a second time.
    Probably.

I would have no problem with that.
    We'd all get punished when they all died and we wiped.

So basically what people want out of LFR is just a bunch of tank and spank encounters where nobody has to work together, nobody has to know what to do, no teamwork required? I don't have any problem with wiping in LFR, it makes it feel more like raiding and less like just getting free gear for doing nothing for an hour.
    Did I say that? You wiped twice on Nazgrim before killing him. That sounds about right for a group of 25 random people with a 45 minute to hour and a half time block. That's what LFR is: a raid for players with limited time. You still have to work together to beat Nazgrim. The difference is that one or two people moving in the opposite direction don't derail the entire effort any more.

The problem is that all 3 previous LFR Tiers have pretty much gifted players loot. DS was basically "Bring a Friend, double up on loot" while MSV, HoF and ToES were "Don't fuck up too badly and you'll kill it eventually". ToT was "We'll give you a difficult boss every now and then but it's ez lewts", with the hard bosses for LFR being Horridon and Durumu the Forgotten; I literally cannot count how many times I've been one of a couple who killed adds entirely on Horridon or among the half a dozen who survive the maze and take Durumu down from 40%.

Siege was basically a big 2 fingers to AFKs and poor players, be them lazy or just plain awful, because it actually requires them to do something other than sit in a corner fapping over their "hard earned" epics. Combine that with fewer people participating in LFR, I can only assume that from my longer queues than previously experienced, and instead opting to run Flex Raids only serves to compound the issue.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    We'd all get punished when they all died and we wiped.
    If they don't have the sense to quit DPSing during defensive stance it's better that they don't waste the healers' time. I prefer them dying to the rest of us having to deal with the axe. The DPS loss from one idiot is less than the DPS loss of forcing everyone else to spend the rest of the raid running to avoid the axes when they could have been turreting the boss and adds instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    My group, who wiped multiple times on the trash of the first boss of the second wing (the proto-drake boss), twice on juggernaut and like 3-4 times on the shaman fight managed to one-shot nazgrim. I really don't see what's so hard about him ._.
    LFR have too many clickers and keyboard turners that ignore healing totems, defensive instance, and such.
    Easy while knowing what you're doing, impossible with people with one eye in the mouse pointer to click buttons, and other in the recount for linking and bragging their damage is higher after the wipe.

Did I say that? You wiped twice on Nazgrim before killing him. That sounds about right for a group of 25 random people with a 45 minute to hour and a half time block. That's what LFR is: a raid for players with limited time. You still have to work together to beat Nazgrim. The difference is that one or two people moving in the opposite direction don't derail the entire effort any more.
    Right. Except now so many people are complaining about how "hard" SoO is because it takes them longer than an hour, when nobody knows any of the fights, that it's all going to be nerfed to oblivion again. Like Thassarian said, people are actually required to do something in LFR now and they don't want that, and it pisses me off. It's not difficult to open the dungeon journal and spend five minutes to read the fights. If everyone that queued up did that LFR would probably run a lot smoother.

I'm not trying to make an argument, just thinking out loud so it's probably not making much sense anyway.

I think the Nazgrim nerf was good. I tanked that boss, took 7 attempts to down him. The spinning axes and Defensive Stance were the big killers. If Defensive Stance was more obvious to casual players (for example, playing a raidwarning sound when activated), it would not be a huge problem. Also, casual tanks don't seem to grasp the concept of stopping DPS while tanking a boss. Casual tanks are used to fighting the DPS over aggro.

Dark shaman nerfs are good too. it was pretty unfair to have melee die constantly to slimes because ranged weren't doing their job. IDK if the nerf solved this entirely, I have yet to raid this week.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    I think the Nazgrim nerf was good. I tanked that boss, took 7 attempts to down him. The spinning axes and Defensive Stance were the big killers. If Defensive Stance was more obvious to casual players (for example, playing a raidwarning sound when activated), it would not be a huge problem. Also, casual tanks don't seem to grasp the concept of stopping DPS while tanking a boss. Casual tanks are used to fighting the DPS over aggro.

Dark shaman nerfs are good too. it was pretty unfair to have melee die constantly to slimes because ranged weren't doing their job. IDK if the nerf solved this entirely, I have yet to raid this week.
    Slimes were still a big problem post-nerf when I ran it this week.

Right. Except now so many people are complaining about how "hard" SoO is because it takes them longer than an hour, when nobody knows any of the fights, that it's all going to be nerfed to oblivion again. Like Thassarian said, people are actually required to do something in LFR now and they don't want that, and it pisses me off. It's not difficult to open the dungeon journal and spend five minutes to read the fights. If everyone that queued up did that LFR would probably run a lot smoother.

I'm not trying to make an argument, just thinking out loud so it's probably not making much sense anyway.
    The dungeon journal isn't a very effective method of communicating what to do in these fights. Even Blizzard has admitted as much. For a lot of fights is practically useless. Same scenario they run into with tooltips. There's no sweet spot because the amount of information you need and that is going on is far too much for general players to be able to understand.

There's definitely a way to design it so that it is more effective at communicating things you need to know. A good example is removing the numbers from the explanation of abilities. Maybe have the numbers present on a tooltip when highlighting over the spell, but otherwise keep the explanation free of damage amounts.

Some people may disagree with this, but it's a fairly common sense thing to observe. If you look at the journal entries for any given encounter, then read anyone's LFR Chat explanation of a fight, one is vastly easier to comprehend. To simplify this even more, the difference between saying:

-Fire of Fire Doom - Once Highlord Firebutt reaches 20 stacks of Lolumadbro, causes invisible rocket demons to bombard fire gypsies around the room in a 20 yd radius. After 3 seconds the gypsies explode dealing 247568 damage to players within 5 yards of the point of impact. This effect also causes the cauterized effect, which reduces damage taken by 50% for 20 seconds.

-AND-

-When you see a red circle on the ground, don't be anywhere near it. Only the tanks should be in red circles.
    BAD WOLF

Any nerfs are good at this point, though I would've preferred to see a reduction in the amount of trash as well.

The second LFR wing is absurdly lengthy and time consuming for a piece of casual content, even when things go relatively smoothly.
    They just need to take out some of the trash now and it should be in a good spot.

Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    It seems a few of the bosses in SoO LFR have been nerfed. Was this the right move, or should they just of left it alone? Are you happy or angry about it?
    I'm purely happy about it. I already run Flex with my guild, and we wipe enough in there. I don't need more grief from random numbskulls in LFR. Especially assholes who literally come in and grief the group (aka pulling the boss and then leaving).

Like Thassarian said, people are actually required to do something in LFR now and they don't want that, and it pisses me off. It's not difficult to open the dungeon journal and spend five minutes to read the fights. If everyone that queued up did that LFR would probably run a lot smoother.
    So you're telling me that you expect to wait five minutes before every new pull in LFR so that all the people doing the fight for the first time can read all the boss abilities, right? At four bosses per wing that's a minimum of 20 minutes you're adding to every run so that all the new people (and with 25 random people there will always be one or two of those) can catch up. Oh, and if there's a wipe and some new players zone in you're spending yet another 5 minutes for them. Now we're adding another 5 minutes per wipe. That 5 or 6 times you wiped on the shamans? Tack 25-30 minutes of you waiting for newcomers to read on to that and tell me how fun that experience would have been. The expectations that everyone read up on and know the fights is realistic for an organized group because you can pre-screen for people who have done that ahead of time. It's not realistic in a group of 25 players, and as I just pointed out, it would take to much time to enforce. About the only way you can make this work is if you force LFR to give everyone a pre-test on each fight before allowing them to queue for the first time. That may not be such a bad idea, but it's certainly not in the game right now.

2 years down the line

Changes to Boss 3: Boss will now be replaced with a loot chest. Collect and move on.
    Changes to Boss 5: Raiders must flip a coin. Heads: You win. Tails: Flip again
    Readycheck, Balance Druid
    MCO, EU Shadowsong

T15 - 13/13 10HC - 10 Man West 293
    T16 - 14/14 10HC - 10 Man West 89

Quote Originally Posted by DaveReadycheck View Post
    2 years down the line

Changes to Boss 3: Boss will now be replaced with a loot chest. Collect and move on.
    Changes to Boss 5: Raiders must flip a coin. Heads: You win. Tails: Flip again
    I believe Hearthstone is already employing similar mechanics. No need for WoW to go there.