Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

so from someone who was around since vanilla

I just want to say I am not one of those people that comes up with rant posts every week concerning the state of this or that and now I am 'quitting'.

I am writing this because I wanted to ask others who have also been around since vanilla.
    I have not played wow in years, sure every time a new expansion comes out I quit after a couple of months.

I cant really explain it but the game doesn't feel as good as it used to. I think my favorite was wotlk and probably cata too if i had time to play it at the time but now i pop in MoP from time to time and I have to say the world holds no interest to me.
    everyone is riding one a dragon or some other mythical creature and judgment gears and warglaves of azinoth are in an all time high.

I guess I am just disillusioned from all this stuff and crave the simpler times of before.
    and just to make it clear I was never a major raider and the only time I did was during icecrown (yea I am that slow) but the armor I got was soon replaced pretty fast so that was kind of a downer but its k :P

anyways what about you guys? do you feel the same?

Ae you seriously asking if there are other players from vanilla who happen to prefer vanilla to now?

Does the pope wear a funny hat? These kinda posts are made daily, why not join one of those?

Deleted
    whats the question? i played since early vanilla, my favorite times in the game are MoP and wotlk. Vanilla was fun to me because it was new for me, my first mmo, first time raiding, i had fun playing it and great memories, but certainly don't miss it.

yes , i got bored fast , leave wow resub leave resub . But atm i just ignore the flow of the game : gear --cap valor --gear cap something ---get rep ---gear gear gear .

I just roam around , get trasmog set's visit old places , playing alts in old dungeons , battle pets . Bg's , just stuff . But i still love to fly around the world and read quests

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Vanilla but a big reason is because it was new. That feeling isn't coming back. I will say the days before rampant daily quests were better.

I started playing during the AQ event.

Somehow I ended up raiding up to BWL, although i never finished it due to BC rolling in.

To answer your question: N to the O, NO.

Played since beta, my favourite time was original naxx / TBC.

I lost interest in the game a bit, but mainly cause I know it all allready. It's not half as much fun when you know what to expect even before you start exploring.

Game got better over the years though.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played in Vanilla and honestly I would not be able to go back. I loved Vanilla back in Vanilla, but I don't think I would enjoy it as much today. Sometimes I feel like the only one, but I love the current state of the game and am excited for any changes the future holds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Mercury View Post
    I loved Vanilla but a big reason is because it was new. That feeling isn't coming back. I will say the days before rampant daily quests were better.
    i tried to get the feeling back once by going on a vanilla private server, got to level 20 before i hated it :P

Deleted
    TBC > Wotlk > Vanilla = MOP > Cata to me.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i tried to get the feeling back once by going on a vanilla private server, got to level 20 before i hated it :P
    I hated leveling back then and I hate it now, no matter what they try...killing X amount of mobs to walk around pointless will remain boring.

Gameplay wise the game has gone forward, but atmosphere wise the game has gone backwards. I still don't get how you can go from an Outlands awesome design to the blant zones MOP has.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-09-23 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Vanilla. But I wouldn't want to go back to it. Was fun and all since it was new and you never knew what was around that corner.
    I still get that feeling for each expansion lasts for about a month and maybe some big patches.
    Some things from back then I like but things are a bit nicer for me I guess as I got older I don't need that big tough challenge (I.E attunement lol).

Still nice to go back and solo old raids when you're bored take a closer look at the places since when you were there for the first time you didn't stop to smell the roses.

10+ Year Old Account
    well I am not saying lets go back to vanilla. I am just saying that with gears raining down from every direction. every player has a dragon or shiny/epic gear the game is just too much.
    Believe me no one hated vanilla more than me. I played a druid and paladin for gods sake...

I just feel like whatever was drawing me to the world of azeroth before just isn't doing it anymore.
    maybe i got older? *shrug*

Suspension of disbelief does wonders. All those jokers with Judgment set, glaives of Azzinoth, riding this and that dragon? Non-canon. If WoW was a movie, these people would be portrayed in grey gear, riding horses/wolves at best. If WoW was Warcraft 4, we would be footmen/grunts, or those recruitable neutral mercs, acting as supporting fodder for a hero character.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

vanilla player here

wow has improved in a lot of areas like mechanics and classes them selves.

the community it self however i think has decline cause i remember in vanilla a lot of people knowing each other on servers or big name people both factions loved.

most people just stick to there guilds now or use lfd / lfr and never speak one word

flying mounts i think would of been much better if more limited and had flying combat with special spells

overall i sill love wow no matter what changes just cause i love it

EDIT:
    also vanilla wow was VERY VERY SIMPLE AND EASY.
    however a lot of people i think mix up the fact the classes were broken and it heavely used RNG mechanics which are retarded, there was no dbm which i still don't even use. aka we got the tools to make it seem less complex even though it isn't.

wow is way more complex today then it was before.
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2013-09-23 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    everyone is riding one a dragon or some other mythical creature and judgment gears and warglaves of azinoth are in an all time high.
    Unless you exclusively hang out in capital cities, I doubt there's that many people showing off glaives, since you can't t-mog them. Not to mention, people have been farming BT for, what, 3 xpacs? It stands to reason that the number of glaives in the game would increase. It's not like there's a finite quantity.

I actually don't see nearly as many Judgment sets as I thought I would. Once the novelty wore off, I think a lot of pallies decided to mog into other sets.

Ieveryone is riding one a dragon or some other mythical creature and judgment gears and warglaves of azinoth are in an all time high.
    So you are disappointed that more people have gear or mounts that have been out for 5+ years? I'm not sure what exactly you expected. Do you think people should grind for gear/mounts for longer than that?

There are plenty of new special mounts/gear that very few people have. Just like dragons, judgement gear, and warglaives were rare back in the day..../shrug.

10+ Year Old Account
    what about you guys? do you feel the same?
    the game has changed, but in many ways its still the same and it is you that has changed.

Your wants and needs and relationship with the game and the people has fluctuated and you are now in a different state of mind than you were 8 years ago.
    Hi

I've been playing since April 2005, and I'm enjoying Mists more than any other expansion aside from Wrath of the Lich King.

The same old mounts aren't the rare ones anymore. Just because "everyone" is flying around on a dragon doesn't mean that there are no mounts that confer prestige anymore. Just because everyone has "purple" gear doesn't mean that top-end gear is devalued- not everyone has HEROIC WARFORGED gear.

The only thing I miss about Classic is that I had absolutely no clue what the hell I was doing, so everything was "fun," and I didn't care about being optimal or doing things the "right" way. I miss that, and that is not a problem with Warcraft. That is something that happened to me as I learned more about where to find resources online, how to play the game, how to engage with the community, and how to "approach" videogames in general. The problem didn't disappear when I tried to dabble in Rift or Guild Wars 2. I still felt compelled to look up guides and play the AH and approach the world in a certain way.

My boyfriend is leveling a priest and is happy when he finds gear with only Stamina on it because he wants more health and it has more armor than his current gear. Sure, he's doing it "wrong," and I can tell him "you should only care about intellect and spirit" until I'm blue in the face, but he's not worrying about the accepted definition of how someone is supposed to play a game, and he clearly has less fun when he's worrying about how to optimally gear his character.

I've been around since vanilla like you, play every expansion for a few months and quit. I've recently popped back in and there seems to be some really cool things now worthy of attention, but it could just be that I am at a place in my life where I'm looking for this type of game again. Each individual's experience varies.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    My experience was vastly different, I started in one and now have 2 guys at 60, some raiding under belt and several other alts on levels between 20-59, loving it still after two years.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988