Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Hey, really impressed by your addon.
    Since you're here i would like to ask what purpose the "book" button that opens a window with all player actions serves?
    Also from the technical side: how do you create the first nodes. I mean you obviously can't connect betwen people who don't know of each other so how does the addon build the first connection between 2 servers? Do you have some basic names in it of players that serve as a start point to search for further nodes? D you make use of people playing on mutliple servers to serve as nodes to connect between servers? Meaning they gather on one server in oqueue chat all players with the addon and post them when he enters another server to act as a bridge?
    the 'book' is the oQueue log. the core purpose was to give the player a place to see the members of the group that have come and gone... allowing them to get a menu of options for actions regarding players that have left group. for example, the ninja looter that grabs the special loot and drops group... now you can give them negative karma and put them on your ban list. it seems fairly minor, but it gives the user some capability to do something.

it also lists what you've gained when you come out of the instance along with the time it took and how much you've gained normalized to an hour. this helps when comparing multiple activities.

as for how things start, that's the main job of the scorekeeper. when you hit the find-mesh button, you're asking the scorekeeper to connect you with the mesh. he sends you 6 randomly selected recent btags and you try to auto-friend. the target may or may not be online... but if they are, and you connect, you will start to receive premade information from them. this is how the mesh pulls itself together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    let's be honest blizz is just gonna try and hire this guy if they really want this feature in game. They've hired addon devs before, whats stopping them now?
    i'm all ears and would love to be involved in making it happen... as i think it would bring a new dimension to the game and more enjoyment to many players they otherwise wouldn't have access to.

TBH, this is something they've never gotten entirely right. I mean, even simple things could make this a lot better - eg, why the fuck can't I use Trade (or some dedicated chat channel) outside a city? They want us out in the world and this archaic restriction remains in place, it's idiotic. Even better, make said chat channel cross realm. It really can't be that hard to implement.

P.S. I found out today that the raid browser still exists in the game. LOL. I'd completely forgotten it existed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deathonabun View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The old raid finder worked great on my realm prior to LFD in Wotlk. After LFD was introduced, there was little incentive to do pug raids because LFD made it super convenient to get your badges through random dungeons. Add to that, they moved the raid finder from the micro menu and buried it under social > raids tab > other raids. (yeah... it's still there, too.)

The way it worked isn't all that different from how OQueue works. The main difference is it required individual players to list themselves for whatever raid instances they were interested in, select a role, add a note, etc. and then a raid leader could browse the list and invite whoever they wanted. OQueue simply reverses the process, allowing raid leaders to list their raid group, and individuals to browse the available groups and then solicit invites.

Personally, I think it makes more sense the way Blizzard did it. It put more onus for building the group on the raid leader. As an individual, I'd prefer to just add my name to a list and go about my day until a raid leader decides to pick me from the crowd. And then as a raid leader, I can see all my potential raid members listed ahead of time which allows me to cherry pick the group I want.

I'm not knocking OQueue btw, it does a great job in the absence of something better on Blizzard's end.

I think in a perfect world, Blizzard would have released an updated version of the old Raid Finder tool (with battletag support for cross-realm raids) together with a pug-friendly third difficulty level way back when Dragonsoul came out (instead of giving us the abomination that is LFR.)
    I wouldn't say it worked great, it was barely adequate. And if you were looking for a dungeon while leveling as opposed to a heroic at max level, just forget it. I remember how fucking painful that was.

I think the key issue with the LFG tool was the clumsy interface and the fact it wasn't cross realm.

UI is probably the weakest area of WoW, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Even better, make said chat channel cross realm. It really can't be that hard to implement.
    that really wouldn't work.

log into any high pop realm at peak time. watch their trade chat. once your eyes stop bleeding at the utter nonsense... imagine that times 200 realms.

yea... that wouldn't work

At the end of the day, Blizzard is comprised of a group of people. This group of people doesn't have the same mental capacity as the entire player base of WoW. Obviously there will be times when players out think them/come up with better ideas, which has been demonstrated in the past by various uncalculated exploits.

Blizzard isn't lazy, they're human.

Quote Originally Posted by tinystomper View Post

log into any high pop realm at peak time. watch their trade chat. once your eyes stop bleeding at the utter nonsense... imagine that times 200 realms.

I'd be more than happy to deal with the spam. I already do in trade chat. There's addons to help you filter it if necessary as well.

Sure it wouldn't be perfect but it'd be a big improvement and I don't think "but people will spam it" is a good enough reason to not do it, at least until they come up with a better alternative (and they haven't for 8 years).

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wait till oQueue is infested with baddies that you cant tell between cause the easy gaining of gear.

A lot of the praise is because it's anti-that, you usually only find good people.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    No please, up to now my Oqueue experiences have been great.

Implemented into WoW it will just mean massive retards in it also.

Keep it as it is, dont even mention its existence often so the retards wont know about it.
    Last edited by Daffan; 2013-10-04 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Errol Flynn View Post
    At the end of the day, Blizzard is comprised of a group of people. This group of people doesn't have the same mental capacity as the entire player base of WoW.
    Haha, I've seen the mental capacity of the player base as a whole, and all I can say is thank god they don't :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Just wait till oQueue is infested with baddies that you cant tell between cause the easy gaining of gear.

A lot of the praise is because it's anti-that, you usually only find good people.
    That is what is nice about the karma system. If someone is a drooling moron and idiot. You can give them negative karma.

For every negative karma everywhere the users name shows up on oQueue it will start to change to a darker red color. This will show people that the person is incompetent and leaders will not invite these people, therefore they will be less likely to be in your group after people realize they are a plague on the rest of the group.

Karma exploitation debate: Karma is stored "server side" on the score keeper which helps keep its integrity.

Click the book in the upper left to open your log, in your log you can right click names and ban / give karma to users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronburggundy View Post
    That is what is nice about the karma system. If someone is a drooling moron and idiot. You can give them negative karma.

For every negative karma everywhere the users name shows up on oQueue it will start to change to a darker red color. This will show people that the person is incompetent and leaders will not invite these people, therefore they will be less likely to be in your group after people realize they are a plague on the rest of the group.

Karma exploitation debate: Karma is stored "server side" on the score keeper which helps keep its integrity.

Click the book in the upper left to open your log, in your log you can right click names and ban / give karma to users.
    for sure happy about the karma system, It should be way more fashioned. Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tinystomper View Post

Mutliple chat channels for different purposes solve this. Also decrease traffic as someone who doesnt want one topic doesnt join the chat and thus reduces traffic from server to him.
    Since most only pvp or pve seriously it would be cut in half.

Furthermore you can color by tags inside chat messages, i wrote an addon for highlighting messages with 2v2 / 3v3 / rbg exactly because i was on one of those high pop servers.
    (rather easy to do)

10+ Year Old Account
    even the most heavily populated realms have less then 5000 people online at any one time on one faction in a city. even so, the trade chat spam is nonstop. you can make 20 channels, but having everyone on all realms able to type into them would make it unworkable. 50,000 people on a Thursday night across all US realms? no problem. people actually say 'hi'... and you'll never see the end of the stream
    Last edited by tinystomper; 2013-10-04 at 03:40 AM.

well i don't know but to me the "time and priority" excuse is a bit silly, blizzard every xpack dedicated alot of time and resource to change thing that worked just fine in the past messing with them for the whole xpack and then changing it again; for example the whole mop reps carnival, blizzard went up creating alot of reps, gated everything behind them, justice and valor gear and recipes, then changed how much rep every quest gives, then created the commendation, then lifted the restriction on gear and finally gived up and put a rain of epix in timeless island; how much time and resource have this whole sharade taken just to end up in an arguable worst sistuation than for example DS or icc?
    All the time spent on what was a non issue can have been spent on something like this future that is probably 100 times more usefull? Or for example in ohasing some zone to reflect the story?
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I would agree, but Blizz did try to implement the old raid finder a few years ago that noone used since it wasn't user friendly. So they definitely did attempt to do it. I'm sure Blizz hires developers with prior industry experience and at least a four year degree. So how come this one guy can pull it off while Blizz couldn't?
    While I don't agree with you mostly. I have to ask the same question out of a multi-billion dollar company. It makes them look half-assed.

I wonder if this is simply one of those things that is a lot easier to develop as an addon than it would be fully integrating it into their system.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Among other things, Blizzard has been reluctant to implement a karma system because if it has any significance other than being informational, it is sooooooo going to attract abuse. In addition to individual players who pretty much spend their whole in-game hours doing the wrong thing, there are entire gangs/guilds of people who individually might be somewhat well-behaved, but in a pack they become bent on causing pain to everyone within reach.

oQ's reputation system might or might not survive its oQ's popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by lethargy View Post
    I wonder if this is simply one of those things that is a lot easier to develop as an addon than it would be fully integrating it into their system.
    I don't know shit about coding.. but really? Out of a multi-billion company? PFFTTT.. doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard.

Sorry to break it to most.. but WoW is over. The production is over.. it's all maintenance now. Unless it's super easy, nothing breaking will ever get into the game as a feature anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronburggundy View Post
    It is worth pointing out that this is account-wide. You're giving the negative karma to the player and all their alts at once. It's a nice disincentive to intentionally be a troll/moron on an alt.

That's what's sorely lacking in LFR/LFD - account wide consequences.