Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs up Alright folks I have a story for you

So basically, I don't currently play WoW because I'm in need of a new computer. But I feel like sharing this because I think many of you will enjoy it.
    Essentially I was a NEET since the start of WoW and up until about 6 months ago. So I was totally and utterly broke, but also hopeless to my WoW addiction. So hopeless that in fact I played on a computer that was below the minimum requirements for WoW. In vanilla it was okay but clearly 40 mans were rough. In BC it ran about 15 fps in raids, horrible but I could handle it. In WOTLK it started to do about 5-10 fps in raids, again horrible but I could still manage top DPS and I only freezed a few times per raid. Now keep in mind I could have gotten a job and gotten a new computer and fixed this issue easily. Then cata comes out. I'm playing at 1-2 fps and using macros to maintain high DPS because well, you could imagine. AGAIN, I am still on the very same computer that was below requirements even back in BC! It is beyond me how it let me even log in. Then MOP comes out, I am sure WoW will shut me down this time and I'll have to quit. But I manage to play at 0-1 fps and avoid all major cities and anything else that would lag the crap out of me(years of experience in dodging these places). I am prone to complete freezes multiple times per hour and WoW is finally losing it's grace for me, but still I am trapped. I cannot raid. I cannot kill mobs. Most zones I cannot enter, but I cannot stop playing STILL. Then it finally happens, my computer finally said it's final goodbye and I got myself a job a few weeks ago and will be back with a strong computer in 5-6 weeks and running at 40+ fps(this will allow me to raid with the top raiders most likely, because I could hang with them at 10 fps just fine years ago). That's my story for you guys, it is 100% true. Not much of a story honestly, and probably hard for you folks to read. I know nobody will believe me, but I was a true WoW junkie. Luckily my job is giving me more control in my life and I'll be able to limit my playing to a couple hours a day. A good joyous outlook is in my future.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you enjoying your new job?

Yes I love it, at first I had pretty bad anxiety attacks but after about a week it all came into place for me. $10 an hour too, which will probably leave me with enough to start college online.
    Last edited by PoisonousIvy; 2013-10-03 at 09:40 PM. Reason: oops forgot quote

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were that addicted, I would suggest not returning to WoW.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well congratulations on the life style change. Do you know what your planning to study at college?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    If you were that addicted, I would suggest not returning to WoW.
    The addiction came more or less from being a NEET my whole life, WoW just kept it going longer than it should have. But I've passed that and was already starting to do so in my last few months playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    Well congratulations on the life style change. Do you know what your planning to study at college?
    Likely something in the IT profession, but anything is an option of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    North Western England, Furness Peninsulas
    Yeah man, congrats on the new job, keep up the good work.
    "You have no idea what you don't know."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well make sure you stay self disciplined then. It's always nice to hear about people growing up (and no longer wasting my tax dollars as a moocher).

10+ Year Old Account
    You should save money for your new comp and another ~$1000 in savings for the next comp after that. You could then quit your job and resume playing wow nonstop and be set on computers for the next 12 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    You should save money for your new comp and another ~$1000 in savings for the next comp after that. You could then quit your job and resume playing wow nonstop and be set on computers for the next 12 years.
    Don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Very funny, but I already have my plan. Work and play WoW for 20 years. Buy all the camping gear I need and an RV and have 50k+ in savings. Retire at 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here you suffered through it when that was all it took to get the enjoyment of not only higher fps but a paycheck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonousIvy View Post
    But I manage to play at 0-1 fps and avoid all major cities and anything else that would lag the crap out of me
    How does this even happen, I think I'd be stopping after ever step forward and would go MAD. Manage it... what could even come after, negative numbers and a tear in space? o.O

Deleted
    Well there are macros to set the grafic below the minimum setting but psst :>

The addiction came more or less from being a NEET my whole life, WoW just kept it going longer than it should have. But I've passed that and was already starting to do so in my last few months playing.
    Don't blame WoW for causing you to not have a job for nearly 10 years. There's something else entirely wrong with your situation. It's great that you turned it around, but don't be so ignorant to say that you're past it. You even refer to being able to afford a gaming computer in a few weeks to play WoW on (essentially only getting a job after 10 years because you need money to buy a system so you can once again play WoW). What do you think is going to happen once you start up again?

Just move on.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    addiction is different for different people. if you were heavily addicted to the game and even after quitting you still think about it, you probably have to stay away indefinately. ofcourse this is just me guesstimating, do what you will. but alcoholics dont save up money to buy really expensive scotch for example.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had an addiction to WoW that I thought was pretty serious, but reading your story made me realize it wasn't too bad after all.

Still, though, keep tabs on your daily play time and immediately put an end to it if you're going overboard once again. Congratulations, though, on your lifestyle changes.

May you continue to drive your life in positive directions.

Deleted
    Most game addicts aren't addicted because of a specific game. If you were addicted to WoW, leaving it behind won't be the cure; it will simply treat the symptoms. There will come along a new game which you'll dive deep into, and it'll be your new "drug" of choice. That's to say, don't make some grandstanding decision about quitting WoW and then think it's all good, because it's not.

WoW isn't the issue in any of these cases. Escapism is. Shitty lives are. You need to either cure the illness, and that's reforging and reforming your own life into something that you don't feel the need to escape from, or you need to start learning how to function while being an escapist.

How can you even enjoy playing the game with FPS that low? I feel like I would just get frustrated and quit. Congrats on the job though!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see it now. Once you're able to buy that computer you're going to start making up excuses to not show up for work. Seems like all you care about is getting a job so you can get back to playing. And the cycle will continue.

I've never heard of someone so attached to WoW over the 9 years I've been playing.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Deleted
    Very funny, but I already have my plan. Work and play WoW for 20 years. Buy all the camping gear I need and an RV and have 50k+ in savings. Retire at 40.
    Retire at 40 with 50k? You plan on dying at 42?