AIO Water Cooling Concerns

Hello everyone I am looking at upgrading my system to a larger case (750D) and for the first time water cooling.

Now because I am a complete beginner I am looking at a plug and play AIO CPU water cooler. I have read many forums and many reviews and just can't seem to decide on what brand/model to purchase. My options are as follows.

Swiftech H220
    Corsair H100i
    Corsair H110
    Thermaltake Water 2.0/3.0 Extreme depending on when stock is available in Australia

The reason I am on the fence about this is because I have heard mixed feelings regarding all 4 of these AIO systems. The H220 seems to have a very unreliable pump with customers on their 3rd system and it still failing. The H100i apparently has a weak pump and doesn't perform too well. The Water 2.0 has driver issues with the pump not being recognised and stuff like that.

Now I will be replacing the stock fans with NF-F12s so included fans isnt where I'm worried. I'm not concerned about the pump failing or making horrendous noise.

I just need a AIO system that is reliable and will give me adequate results. I'm not looking at extreme overclocking but as an upcoming enthusiast I would like to see what my system can achieve (i5 3570K)

I know there are complete custom kits out there but for the price they don't seem to achieve better results than the AIO systems.

The H220 and the Water 2.0 seem to achieve the best results with the upgraded fans.

Any advice from users who have these systems?

Thanks in advance for your help.

10+ Year Old Account
    My H100i is of great build quality and has a good reputation. Corsair covers costs if it leaks.

The h220 actually has one of the best pumps in the market

I think H100i build quality is better than H110.

I'd go with H100i personally but I like how H220 has expandability
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

The only benefit to AIO coolers is......looks. The high end air coolers cool just as well, quieter, more reliable etc.

But if you must, get the corsair its the best of the bunch.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Fascinate, don't forget space. And in some cases they can be quieter.
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally try to avoid these things at all costs.

If you want liquid cooling, go real liquid cooling. AIOs are NOT real liquid coolers, real liquid coolers perform the part, the best AIO coolers perform about the same as the best air coolers - who would have guessed?

Aside from the issues you mentioned, AIOs tend to be very glitchy and I would not want something that obviously has not gone through strenuous testing to be bringing liquid near my components, de-ionized or not.

Air coolers are simple. Most of it is going to be a stationary object that simply has air pushed through it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    @Fascinate, don't forget space. And in some cases they can be quieter.
    Ya i could see someone using an AIO in something like a bitfenix prodigy, perfect match there. Not sure how a AIO could ever be quieter than an air cooler tho, unless you got an air cooler with a bad fan or something lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The only benefit to AIO coolers is......looks. The high end air coolers cool just as well, quieter, more reliable etc.

But if you must, get the corsair its the best of the bunch.
    That's not exactly true. High end air coolers aren't as effective as AIO. The noise, well put on a good pair of FANS and that may change. Reliability? The H100i has 5 year warranty which is a good addition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I personally try to avoid these things at all costs.

If you want liquid cooling, go real liquid cooling. AIOs are NOT real liquid coolers, real liquid coolers perform the part, the best AIO coolers perform about the same as the best air coolers - who would have guessed?

Aside from the issues you mentioned, AIOs tend to be very glitchy and I would not want something that obviously has not gone through strenuous testing to be bringing liquid near my components, de-ionized or not.

Air coolers are simple. Most of it is going to be a stationary object that simply has air pushed through it.
    What's wrong with them exactly? A "real" WCling system might not be for everyone + it costs bit more if you want an effective system. AIOs have pumps fail, custom loops have pumps fail, custom loops leak, AIOs leak but most AIOs have warranties.

If money is no object, Custom Loop anyday over AIO.
    -K

Hmmm thanks for the replies everyone. I might just stick with my Havik 140. Seems to be doing a decent job. I've just noticed the rubber straps holding the fans onto the unit are starting to come apart. It's not bad but it's like an old rubber band starting to fall apart. Maybe I can secure them with something more durable. Any thoughts?

I'm going to be upgrading my case so thought I'd get an AIO unit as well. Might hold off until I really need a water cooled unit. But then again I don't really need one. It was going to be more of a hobby rather than performance enhancing.

I've just read so many reviews from customers saying these AIO seem to fail after a few months. At least with an air cooled until the only thing that could go wrong is the fan, which is easily replaced.