Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    How many stacks of the buff does Galakras usually have before he dies? We had little to no issue getting into phase 2, but the soft enrage was destroying us, with him having upwards of 70 stacks.

  2. #22
    great guide thanks you

  3. #23
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    How many stacks of the buff does Galakras usually have before he dies? We had little to no issue getting into phase 2, but the soft enrage was destroying us, with him having upwards of 70 stacks.
    We had 49 stacks on our first kill yesterday after 7 wipes. Reached phase 2 once and killed it, but only with 2 mages in the iceblock left. We 2-healed it, but 70 stacks seems really high. Do you have 3 healers? If not, you have to deal more damage. Try to get all your CDs ready for p2.

    Tower 1: 4 DDs + 1 Tank (in my opionion you do not really need a healer there, just clear the tower as fast as possible as the proto drakes in the air can be really annoying and its really hard to heal it alone, so we let both healers on the ground)
    Tower 2: 3 DDs + 1 Tank + 1 Heal

    For P2, we stacked altogether and players with 3 stacks went aside to drop the debuff.
    Last edited by Smaikiii; 2013-10-22 at 09:09 AM.
    Smaiki <Integrity> @ EU-Eredar: Highmaul Mythic 4/7

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaikiii View Post
    We had 49 stacks on our first kill yesterday after 7 wipes. Reached phase 2 once and killed it, but only with 2 mages in the iceblock left. We 2-healed it, but 70 stacks seems really high. Do you have 3 healers? If not, you have to deal more damage. Try to get all your CDs ready for p2.
    We're 2 healing, and we actually have really decent DPS. We're saving lust and CDs for about 60% when the healing starts to become intense. I'm not sure what we're messing up. The median kill time for this boss on 10H is about 10 minutes, and we were reaching the 13-14 minute mark.

  5. #25
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    We're 2 healing, and we actually have really decent DPS. We're saving lust and CDs for about 60% when the healing starts to become intense. I'm not sure what we're messing up. The median kill time for this boss on 10H is about 10 minutes, and we were reaching the 13-14 minute mark.
    Well, these additional minutes might be from phase 1. Maybe that's also an indicator that your damage might be a little bit too low or bad heal interrupts. Try to enter P2 after the proto drake wave as recommended in the guide. We also missed this, but the next wave with 2 shamans wasn't really that bad (guess you have 40sec for it until the next wave spawns
    Here our log (almost-wipe-kill): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...6013&target=88
    (Tanks: warrior and death knight. The feral and hunter died early.)

    As you can see, the NPCs also did lots of damage. Pull Galakras in the blizzard to maximize DPS. If you have logs, you could compare. If you already did this, give your DDs kicks in the ass
    Smaiki <Integrity> @ EU-Eredar: Highmaul Mythic 4/7

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    We're 2 healing, and we actually have really decent DPS. We're saving lust and CDs for about 60% when the healing starts to become intense. I'm not sure what we're messing up. The median kill time for this boss on 10H is about 10 minutes, and we were reaching the 13-14 minute mark.
    Are you getting Galakras down during wave 9 with the 2 protodrakes as suggested in the guide? If you protect the engineers the north tower should open fast enough to manage that.
    We kill the snake then demolisher, 2 melee on the grunt that spawns during the demolisher 4 ranged going up the first tower to get it down asap cause the protodrakes in the air were our biggest issue, the current wave with 2 protodrakes on the ground is pretty harmless, 2nd grunt gets killed and the next wave with 1 shaman spawns. Important to interrupt this shaman as tidalwaves+drakefire is dangerous have the ranged that's coming down focus on that, melee will take over very quickly as the grunt dies. 3 ranged protecting and killing the 2nd tower, they should be done at about wave 8 and then you got a bit of time when wave 9 spawns with the 2 protodrakes to clean up any adds before shooting Galakras down.

    Our first kill was a lot messier getting Galakras down a few minutes later since 1 engineer died, it's still totally doable but it's much cleaner if you get him down during wave 9.

  7. #27
    Stood in the Fire Zabuzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Siege of Orgrimmar!
    Posts
    437
    If you get Galakras down during wave 9 after the Proto Drakes, you should be set for a clean slate going into the burn phase. Beware that whilst the tower group are clearing the first tower, the ground group should prepare to protect the 2nd tower engineer as soon as he spawns, until the tower group get back down to replace them. Bear in mind that the engineers can also be healed. I should note that on our first kill the engineer died on the 2nd tower, so we waited until the 11th wave before pulling the boss down. That isn't necessary if the engineers are properly looked after.

    For Galakras himself, pop Heroism early on during the burn phase so all your DPS cooldowns line up. If you are hitting 70 stacks your DPS is probably quite low, but it could also be due to Heroism timing.

    Do you have any logs from your attempts so far?

    One thing you can do to boost your DPS if your tanks are any good is to solo tank Phase 2. On our kill this week I was top DPS on Galakras specifically, though it is exceedingly easy to do as a Prot Paladin:
    Take 2-3 stacks, with Eternal Flame up and (Glyphed) Divine Protection on the 2nd or 3rd.
    Pop Holy Avenger, spam Shield of the Righteous and refresh Eternal Flame whenever you get to a large step up in Vengeance.
    Healer externals to 8-9 stacks
    Ardent Defender + (Glyphed) Divine Protection to 10-11 stacks
    Guardian of Ancient Kings to 12-13 stacks
    Divine Shield to drop stacks if needed.

  8. #28
    Stood in the Fire Zabuzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Siege of Orgrimmar!
    Posts
    437
    Thanks to thesmuggler for pointing out the links to my new website were messed up! Fixed them

  9. #29
    I'm not sure if it's THE issue, but someone pointed out that for all of our attempts but one, the NPCs weren't damaging the boss. I believe someone said that they did 15% of the damage in their kill. That would've definately got us a kill this week, all of our wipes were around the 11-17% mark.

    I'm not sure if there is a sweet spot to tank him in. I typically pull him down the hill, between the 2 gates where the helpful ring of fire spawns.

    Raid comp if it matters: BrM Monk/Blood DK--Mistweaver/Resto Druid--Destro Lock/Destro Lock/Fire Mage/Ele Shaman/Boomkin/Fury Warr
    Last edited by Rixark; 2013-10-25 at 07:41 AM.

  10. #30
    Stood in the Fire Zabuzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Siege of Orgrimmar!
    Posts
    437
    We killed him the first time without engaging the adds, but it definitely makes it a lot easier to do so.

    Have one tank stand within the target range of the NPCs (can test this during P1) and taunt Galakras when he spawns, pulling him far enough to engage.

    Once he's engaged, have the other tank taunt and move into the positions you are using (if you've got markers and set locations), or just leave it on the initial tank and have your raid adjust accordingly (if you do it on the fly)

  11. #31
    We tried different strategy but for now, we send 1 tank+4dps in the first tower.

    The problem is the ground team (1tank 2 heal 2 range dps).
    A grunt appears during the 2 proto drake wave, and another one during the next wave (shaman, etc).

    If the 2 dps of ground team focus on killing the grunt, our lonely tank cannot clear proto drake alone, same for the next shamy wave.
    And if we help him on the wave, 2 grunts are free to kill demo team, delaying the 2nd tower opening by A LOT. Then we have to face the double shaman wave while tower team is in the 2nd tower.

    how do you handle that? Does the ground team have to focus protodrake/shamy wave, and let demo team getting killed until tower1 team comes back? Or?

  12. #32
    Haven't put in heroic attempts on this yet, but strategy wise I'm a bit confused as to how you guys handle the 2 drakes that spawn after the 1st tower team goes up. We'll most likely send in 4 DPS with a tank and healer in the first tower, leaving a tank, healer and 2 RDPS on the ground.

    From what I understand, the 2 drake wave is accompanied by a grunt attacking the demolisher crew working on the 2nd tower. Is it enough to only have one person on the grunts, or should both DPS on the ground switch to him before attacking the drakes? If both DPS are assigned to the grunt, is it possible to have both drakes dead before the next wave?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebs View Post
    From what I understand, the 2 drake wave is accompanied by a grunt attacking the demolisher crew working on the 2nd tower. Is it enough to only have one person on the grunts, or should both DPS on the ground switch to him before attacking the drakes? If both DPS are assigned to the grunt, is it possible to have both drakes dead before the next wave?
    The drakewave isn't that important, we usually have me as arms and feral druid on the next 2 grunts. First spawns during the demolisher and the 2nd when both drakes get low, 10-30% depending on your dps. Make sure the 4 dps focus on the shaman that spawns as they come down the tower, the drakes should die quick at this point with all the dps downstairs aoeing.
    The only thing that can kill you are the drakes in the air + tidalwave, sooner the drakes in the air are shot down the better.
    Last edited by bigbad; 2013-11-15 at 01:13 PM.

  14. #34
    Stood in the Fire Zabuzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Siege of Orgrimmar!
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebs View Post
    Haven't put in heroic attempts on this yet, but strategy wise I'm a bit confused as to how you guys handle the 2 drakes that spawn after the 1st tower team goes up. We'll most likely send in 4 DPS with a tank and healer in the first tower, leaving a tank, healer and 2 RDPS on the ground.

    From what I understand, the 2 drake wave is accompanied by a grunt attacking the demolisher crew working on the 2nd tower. Is it enough to only have one person on the grunts, or should both DPS on the ground switch to him before attacking the drakes? If both DPS are assigned to the grunt, is it possible to have both drakes dead before the next wave?
    When we were progressing on this one, we just let the first crew at the tower die and then a new set spawned after the tower team got back. Eventually we realised we could burn the drakes and keep the crew up at the same time though; and even if the drakes on the ground don't die quickly, the tower team will be back to clean up roughly when Thranok comes in or shortly thereafter.

    If the drakes are placed correctly though, the ground DPS (assuming there are some ranged) can nuke both the drakes and the grunt. Remember that the demo crew are healable as well!

    For our kill, we did 1 tank/3DPS/1 heal for both tower and ground group, the ground group kept the demo crew up whilst DPSing the drakes as well (grunts have so little health!).

    If a demo crew dies, it's still not a wipe - just means you'll probably have to deal with the double Tidal Shaman wave later into the fight, rather than being able to transition on the double drake wave. We've had kills with both methods to be honest, once you've got the knack of controlling the adds, the fight is pretty much risk free post the first tower once the drakes have been shot down.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    I'm not sure if it's THE issue, but someone pointed out that for all of our attempts but one, the NPCs weren't damaging the boss. I believe someone said that they did 15% of the damage in their kill. That would've definately got us a kill this week, all of our wipes were around the 11-17% mark.

    I'm not sure if there is a sweet spot to tank him in. I typically pull him down the hill, between the 2 gates where the helpful ring of fire spawns.

    Raid comp if it matters: BrM Monk/Blood DK--Mistweaver/Resto Druid--Destro Lock/Destro Lock/Fire Mage/Ele Shaman/Boomkin/Fury Warr
    Do you have any logs? With 2 destro locks & an ele shammy, you shouldn't be having any dps problems...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravityx View Post
    Do you have any logs? With 2 destro locks & an ele shammy, you shouldn't be having any dps problems...
    that's very true, ele shaman is so imba 1 button spec for this fight bores me to tears when we wipe stupidly.

  17. #37
    Hello,

    Just had a huge argument in our guild about the tactic we should follow on Galakras heroic so I thought I would ask experienced players about it.

    Our raid setup is 2 tanks 3 healers 2 melee dps and 3 ranged dps.

    There were three major arguments.

    a) if we should go up the tower before or after the demolisher?
    b) how many dps should go up the first tower along with tank + healer. 2,3 or 4?
    c) should we protect the second tower npcs trying to unlock the second tower or should we let them die and respawn?

    The major argument was b)

    One group was suggesting the drake fire bolts (drakes on the air) were killing us/would kill us and that is what we need to deal with.
    The other group was suggesting that the ground group was/would become overrun if we sent too many dps on top of the first tower.

    Please explain which tactic is favourable and most important - WHY.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by Kreeshak; 2013-11-22 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    The problem is warriors are not easy to kill like we were in cata and people are mad at that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Brian may answer differently, but I would say mages are hard to counter for average players but easy for great players.

  18. #38
    a) you need to go after killing the demolisher because he perma stun you. For the second tower you can kill the demo, wait for the next wave and kill the shaman. with good dps the group of the second tower will finish when the second drake wave spawn.

    b) 3 dps.

    c) they are easy to protect, you can also heal them, cc the add, etc.

    The drake fire bolt damage can be deadly if someone get hit by fireball + tidal wave. You can use healing cd here to survive while the group finish and kill these drakes.

  19. #39
    If possible, I would strongly recommend 2 healing this boss. It helps keep the adds under control in P1, and more damage, rather than more healing will be more beneficial in P2.

    A. Definitely wait until after the Demolisher is dead. Otherwise the tower group will get stunned and take large amounts of damage from its attacks.

    B. Send your highest DPS tank and a healer capable of DPSing (monk or disc, if you have any) up the first tower. It is imperative that you clear all of the adds as soon as possible and get someone in that cannon to shoot the drakes down. Every time the drakes attack a ground target, their damage increases by 5%, so eventually they will basically start one shotting people. Because of this, we had 4 DPS (2 melee, 2 ranged) go up the first tower. The 2 ranged and healer that were in the 1st tower group were responsible for watching the NPCs. You only need to protect them twice, on the pull, and about 30-40 seconds later. The third grunt that spawns to attack the NPCs during the Snake miniboss doesn't matter as the door will already be opened by then.

    The group that was arguing for sending more DPS up the tower was right, it is much more important to get that cleared up than worrying about getting over run on the ground. If you're set on 3 healing, you should assign both melee and 1 RDPS to go in the tower along with the tank and healer. Make sure the RDPS and healer in the tower group are protecting the NPCs while they open up tower 1 (the grunts have 6-7M HP so might be wise to have one of the other two RDPS helping them out). So, when the demolisher comes out and is killed, these 5 will run up and handle everything up there. At the same time, you're going to get a 2x Drake wave, and another wave of adds with a shaman while the tower group is still clearing it up. The group on the ground needs to protect the NPCs opening up the 2nd tower, the first grunt to attack them comes when the 1st demolisher is killed, so make sure they're ready. You'll have 2 RDPS down there, so make sure they stand within range of both the grunts attacking the NPCs as well as the waves of adds, so they can DPS both. When the 1st tower team comes down, you should have the Drakes at low HP, and the newly spawned wave. It's fine that both are up, just make sure you're interrupting the shaman and keep them in the blizzard until the tower team comes down to help clear everything up before the next wave.

    C. Protect them at all costs, doing so allows you to bring Galakras down during the 2nd Drake wave, thus avoiding the dreaded double shaman wave.

    Once again, if possible, 2 heal this. You can send the extra DPS in the first tower group so they finish quicker and can jump down to help the ground team, or just keep him on the ground to have better control of the adds.

  20. #40
    I was also watching the logs and I saw a lot of people were slacking on damaging the shamans, totems, and interrupting them.

    On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most important:

    How important is for the shamans to NOT heal?
    How important is for the shamans to die FAST?
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    The problem is warriors are not easy to kill like we were in cata and people are mad at that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Brian may answer differently, but I would say mages are hard to counter for average players but easy for great players.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •