Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    It must be true I read it in the dailymail.

http://news.sky.com/story/1150016/ch...orced-abortion

There's this aswell: http://www.npr.org/2012/07/05/156211...ebate-in-china

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I would say the warning is already there in place of a law that i'm sure they all know about.

She choose to ignore that warning.
    Could they not send the family a letter saying something along the lines of:

"We've scheduled an abortion procedure for on October 12th at 9am, in accordance with our one child policy. If you are not present, then you will be apprehended and forced to undergo this procedure at a later date."

Is that asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    A) It's unbelievable that you think a nation with 1.3 BILLION people and hilariously few natural resources (including arable land) doesn't face extreme problems that warrant extreme measures.
    Harsh punitive measures are justified. Barbarism of these extremities should never be, not in any civilized country, and definitely not in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ncy-China.html

Tasted bile while reading through that. Having one of the highest execution rates wasn't enough, clearly, so China is broadening its scope of government-mandated murder to allow for inhumane brutality like that. China apparently "credits the policy with preventing hundreds of millions of births and helping lift countless families out of poverty".

Should nations ever seek progress even if it means wantonly engaging in such sacrilege?

I'm quite speechless..
    Despite the massive economic growth China has experienced, much of it's gargantuan population continues to live miles under any poverty line imaginable. Economic burdens of multiple children cannot be handled by the average Chinese citizen and the states lacks the resources to adequately provide for its citizens.

Doing this is the single most humane thing the Chinese government can do for the good of its own citizens. Instead of trying to keep alive millions of starving, disease ridden children, with insane child mortality rates like in Africa, guaranteeing a never ending cycle of poverty, the chose to focus their resources on a manageable population level. Child mortality rate is very low, they provide increasing quality education to everyone, and invest in the future of their people, while they encourage contraception and population control.

In your world view of "sacrilege" vs a world view based on logic which is better.

This.

or this

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    I suppose whether you viewed it that way would indeed depend on how much of a basic human right you think being able to bear your own child is.
    I do not think it should be a basic human right at all. I support forced sterilization for some subsets of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I do not think it should be a basic human right at all. I support forced sterilization for some subsets of the population.
    Welfare benefits shouldn't be increased due to breeding.

Then if you can't pay for the kid, the state takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post

"We've scheduled an abortion procedure for on October 12th at 9am, in accordance with our one child policy. If you are not present, then you will be apprehended and forced to undergo this procedure at a later date."

Is that asking too much?
    Clearly, asking nicely didn't work with this woman or she wouldn't have been on her second illegal pregnancy and approaching third trimester. When people won't willingly follow laws, force is required. With no threat of force, laws are meaningless.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There obviously need to be a birth control, but hell, that's just insane.

I'm calling BS on this story. The law isn't as cut and dry as one child only. Many families there have more than child by being only children themselves, paying a fine etc. There is WAY more to this story if its even true at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

quick! we got new lands to free !!!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post

Is that asking too much?

Why when there was already a law in place saying don't have 2 kids.

I'm sorry but if you break a law prepare for the consequences. Next you will want us to tell drug dealers when we are going to bust them.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Clearly, asking nicely didn't work with this woman or she wouldn't have been on her second illegal pregnancy and approaching third trimester. When people won't willingly follow laws, force is required. With no threat of force, laws are meaningless.
    They could have... I don't know, fined them? Taken away all their shit? Thrown her in jail until the child was born and put it up for adoption? Something other than a forcible abortion with a child that was close to being able to survive outside the womb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Welfare benefits shouldn't be increased due to breeding.

Then if you can't pay for the kid, the state takes it.
    It's a bit like health laws in the context of there being government spending on it - if there's no government spending, you have every right to do as you please and tell me to fuck off, that it's none of my business. As soon as you tell me that I have to pay for other people's bad choices, I think I have a reason to be interested in legislating those choices.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    They could have... I don't know, fined them? Taken away all their shit? Thrown her in jail until the child was born and put it up for adoption? Something other than a forcible abortion with a child that was close to being able to survive outside the womb.
    I don't know why you think a forced abortion is worse than taking away everything someone has or jailing them.

Reading comprehension failure for you and most posters here. According to the woman, she had a birth control implant and it failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Reading comprehension failure for you and most posters here. According to the woman, she had a birth control implant and it failed.
    Newsflash - people lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Perhaps she shouldn't have tried to cheat the government by failing to inform them of her 2nd, illegal pregnancy.

One-child policy is there for a reason. A government should take measures to enforce it - even if it means forced abortions. A law is only as good as its enforcement.
    What this says. They have these laws for a reason.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post

Then why didn't she get a abortion to start?

I have a hard time believing any 'news' that comes out of China, especially news in the 'human interest' section.
    I mean: We've had Darkvision Boy, One-meter Rat (tall story, but acceptable until they stated that butchering the animal destroyed two knives), and gods know how many other bollocks stories.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Close doesn't cut it. And aborting a fetus is not as bad as taking away people's possessions or jailing them. :/

Newsflash - people lie.
    And if a IUD fails TWICE it is time for a sterilization procedure anyway.