Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's 65, but most people do 75-80, and Id bet if it was 75, most would do 85-90. I have never not speeded on a highway and I have never gotten a ticket. Im happy with the system.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    because i should totally be able to barrel down a suburban road at 55 mph roaring my mustangs engine in broad daylight. nothing bad is going to happen there. nope nothing at all.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    That would take far more resources than simply keeping the status quo.

I'd also argue people going 10+ over the speed limit should have the exact same thing done to them.

So if they're always going to drive faster than the speed limit why increase it?

And it absolutely is about driving faster. Faster you go the less reaction time you have to everything. It's not about those people who think it's right to go past the speed limit, it's about what happens to them and other drivers when shit is heading towards the fan.

Those people were driving the speed limit. They were in their legal right to do so. Those people who choose to go over the speed limit are the ones who would have caused danger.

You're going 85 and you hit a guy going 70. Well, he was going too slow relative to your speed and you couldn't react in time. He's driving at the speed limit.

You're going 70 and a guy's going 55. You again hit him. He's going under the speed limit, but you were still unable to move in time.

You are far more likely to hit someone if your speed is higher or their speed is lower. The only difference is that on that slower side of the spectrum, your inertia isn't as high and thus you have more time to avert that collision, provided the distance remains constant, which really, considering driving patterns in the US, it would be.

And how likely do you think that will be? People already drive closer than you're technically supposed to on the freeway.
    1/2 my commute has 2-3x the recommended distance between vehicles, it isnt very packed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so to complain about a traffic law, they break another one? They blocked traffic...on purpose. They should have been given tickets. That was a pretty damn stupid video.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The speed limit already is 70mph.
    55-65 here in NJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    On a highway you are supposed to stay to the right lane unless passing. Driving side by side for a long period of time IS punishable, I'd know as I've gotten tickets for them both.
    You cannot travel in the left lane, distances vary by state.
    It is for passing and you can get a ticket for traveling in it.
    I have also been pulled over for this but luckily he let me go with a warning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wait, so to complain about a traffic law, they break another one? They blocked traffic...on purpose. They should have been given tickets. That was a pretty damn stupid video.
    They didn't block traffic, traffic was still moving. That's the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    They didn't block traffic, traffic was still moving. That's the whole point.
    Can't drive in the left lane like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Can't drive in the left lane like that.
    That probably varies by place, here during busy hours you'll often be told to use all three lanes so the motorway is at maximum capacity.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I couldn't hear what was said over the shitty music being played.
    Yah really, would it have killed them to slap a compressor and limiter on people to bring the volumes in line?
    Other then that the video is a waste of a watch.
    Title should be 'dorks prove nothing, get flipped the bird'
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Here's an idea. Leave earlier so you aren't late and then you don't have to speed.

It's a good video with a good point. Those drivers would be breaking the law in my state, at least- you can't be in the left lane unless passing, something not enforced except for asshattery like this.

But the point is still solid- if you have everyone driving the speed limit, no one gets anywhere. It's a law set up such that every man is a criminal. Useless.

Why are people so obsessed with driving so fast?

The speed limits here are 100km/h on most highways (60mph).

It's fast enough. If there's a passing lane available I might slow it down to 90 to save on gas. (But on a 2 lane road I will always drive the limit)

The fuel consumption difference between 60mph and 75mph is very significant.

I'd rather get somewhere a dollar cheaper than a minute faster.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Do you people know how much a +X mph increase in speed actually saves you time over 1 mile, 10 miles? How many times have you been sat in your car, following the speed limit, only to have some douche overtake you while speeding, then disappear behind a bend, only to come into view again because of traffic or an intersection, saving him all of 10 seconds?

Speed limits are there for a reason.
    Yet, if everyone was going at a faster rate of speed, everyone would get there faster. It is very funny though to see people speeding along only to pass 3 cars. But I drive a motorcycle, so when I speed along I never lose my gains. Suckers.

I think speed limits are stupid. I've never seen anyone get a speeding ticket in a city freeway. It would likely cause more fatalities to have someone pulled over on the side of the road than someone going 100 mph through traffic, but I'm sure there's a statistic that can prove both, and both of them would be bad statistics.

Tbh I wouldn't mind if speed limit on highway here was moved up to 140 kmph (...which is how fast I drive there anyway:P). 120 is nice but realistically 90% of people that I see on highways drive between 130 and 140.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something that has always bothered me is the definition people like to use for a limit. A limit doesn't mean going up to a certain cap and then stopping, any mathematics class will teach you that limits are something things get closer to, from either direction, which means people above the limit should make their way back down, and people below should make their way up. In reality no one is going slow, heck almost everyone is going about 3 times faster than the fastest human could ever run, but when you're both going that fast, 10 to 20 miles per hour is going to make a huge difference in how fast you seem to be going, which is why people speed a lot of the time.

That or they're just in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Agreed. Although even on highways, speed limits of 80 during night weekend hours are one thing...and an entirely different thing during rush hour.

If anything speed limits need to not be static.
    too confusing for the average citizen.. .cmon u know better

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    So basically a bunch of college students all got on the highway and drove 55 MpH (What highways are they driving on? Most highways are 65-70 MpH)
    and than proceeded to all drive side-by-side down the highway (Which is illegal to begin with) to prove?... What? That they can back up traffic when following 1 law and ignoring another?

Pretty much this, this video is retarded and does not show what really happens but what could happen if 4 retarded drivers were next to each other and did not let anyone pass.

It was probably made to get attention rather than to change the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    Pretty much this, this video is retarded and does not show what really happens but what could happen if 4 retarded drivers were next to each other and did not let anyone pass.

It was probably made to get attention rather than to change the speed limit.
    Their point is simple and elegant though. You can be pulled over for going faster than the limit- it is against the law. So in theory, what happens if everyone drives the speed limit and no faster? And the result is, traffic is awful for miles.

So this law is literally ignored by everyone, and with reason.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    because i should totally be able to barrel down a suburban road at 55 mph roaring my mustangs engine in broad daylight. nothing bad is going to happen there. nope nothing at all.
    Most people are only going to drive at a speed they feel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Do you people know how much a +X mph increase in speed actually saves you time over 1 mile, 10 miles?
    I save approx. 10 minutes total every day by speeding. Seeing as I drive that amount about 5 days a week every week, I save myself upwards of 42 hours a year (before factoring in "extra" trips like shopping on weekends).

So yea, I'd say I'm definitely seeing a measurable benefit from speeding in the form of not spending (almost) 2 extra days a year in the car.

Then again, where I'm from, nobody drives the speed limit except for like 2-3 people in the whole county. Even the police don't drive the speed limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?