Poll: What do you think?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Obama cancels visit to ASEAN, East Asia & Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summits

I am disappointed that the president would cancel his planned visits to the ASEAN, East Asia and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summits. This could have been the perfect opportunity for America to show that we're still influential and involved in the region and to improve relations with our East Asian allies (Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, etc.). The ASEAN summit is one of the most important international summits in the world and yet the leader of the most powerful country in the world isn't there?

If he were actually doing something important here, I might understand, but he isn't. Obama has already made it clear that he will not negotiate with Congress and that he will not accept the budget. The cost of his transportation to Asia has already been paid for, but seeing how important ASEAN and Singapore are to the United States, he should be more than willing to pay for this out of his own coffers.

What do you think of the White House bailing on the summits?

Source: http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...nt-174260.html
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-10-04 at 05:33 PM.

I think him bailing is a travesty, but due to the Tea Tards in the House of Reps.

10+ Year Old Account
    doesn't he have more important things to focus on like getting the government back on track?

priorities!
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I think him bailing is a travesty, but due to the Tea Tards in the House of Reps.
    I'm sure he could still go if he really wanted to. He could even pay for the flight himself.

See post #3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, had he gone you would have been mad that he was ignoring the problems at home to go pander to the asians.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    doesn't he have more important things to focus on like getting the government back on track?

priorities!
    Obama has already said that he isn't going to negotiate with Congress, so what difference would his presence make?

Imagine if he did go.

Just imagine the noise obama haters would make.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the other side of the coin:

"The Government shut down and Obama has time to joyride around Asian!! It's costing us millions of dollars! I'm so maddd!"

Just wanted to cover all the bases.

Play the 14th amendment for the debt ceiling
    Don't engage the house
    Let the GoP tear itself apart
    Go build alliances and trade deals in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Obama has already said that he isn't going to negotiate with Congress, so what difference would his presence make?
    Pretty much this. I don't particularly like the guy, but if he's not going to negotiate on the issue blocking Congress here AND isn't going over there, all that leaves left for him to do is another press conference blaming republicans for everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Play the 14th amendment for the debt ceiling
    Don't engage the house
    Let the GoP tear itself apart
    Go build alliances and trade deals in Asia.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...t-ceiling.html

President Barack Obama has neither the legal authority nor the practical ability to bypass Congress and extend the nation’s borrowing limit, and attempting such a step might trigger turmoil in the markets, two top White House advisers said.

Congress is the only authority on spending bills. Period.

Seeing as how the Republican party took back the house in 2010, I would guess that The People have spoken.

In your face Asia!
    That's what you get for stealing HC Garrosh World First.

Quote Originally Posted by Ectothrix View Post
    The debt ceiling is not a spending bill and the GoP wouldn't dare take it to the SCOTUS

Sack up and do it

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    The debt ceiling is not a spending bill and the GoP wouldn't dare take it to the SCOTUS
    Except as the WH put it, why would investors buy bonds that may be legally questionable?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Except as the WH put it, why would investors buy bonds that may be legally questionable?
    Sounds better than letting the tea party crash the global economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post

priorities!
    International affairs are a major portion of the Presidents job, more so than being the domestic cheerleader.

It's not a question of whether congress has authority on spending bills or not, but whether the government should shut down if there is no agreement!!

Where did this ludicrous idea come from in the first place?

Well, the current way of shutting down the government during a budget stalemate was originated in an opinion written by Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti in 1980. If he wanted to, Obama could end GOP power play by ordering Holder to write a new opinion on the subject thereby ending the legal footing on which a shutdown is based.

Civilization must go on. Whatever your views are, we shouldn't resort to anarchy!

The GOP are really scaring me. They've become this neo-confederate, insurrectionist, apocalyptic fundamentalist cult! Sorry but that's not a normal political party.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I am disappointed that the president would cancel his planned visits to the ASEAN, East Asia and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summits. This could have been the perfect opportunity for America to show that we're still influential and involved in the region and to improve relations with our East Asian allies (Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, etc.). The ASEAN summit is one of the most important international summits in the world and yet the leader of the most powerful country in the world isn't there?

If he were actually doing something important here, I might understand, but he isn't. Obama has already made it clear that he will not negotiate with Congress and that he will not accept the budget. The cost of his transportation to Asia has already been paid for, but seeing how important ASEAN and Singapore are to the United States, he should be more than willing to pay for this out of his own coffers.

What do you think of the White House bailing on the summits?

Source: http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...nt-174260.html
    Show what? That the US grind to a halt over a tea-party raging mob?

Turn it around, how mature, responsible and influential do you think they regard a president who travel abroad while his country's elected politicians are knowingly heading towards deepening their country's economic recovery and forecast as well as the world's cos of extreme political polarization compared to staying and trying to deal with it?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-10-04 at 06:46 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I don't know how I feel. On one hand I think it would almost be shameful for us to show our faces and try to talk like we are special when we can't even deal with our tea terrorists. On the other hand canceling probably just makes them happier.

Ugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ectothrix View Post
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...t-ceiling.html

President Barack Obama has neither the legal authority nor the practical ability to bypass Congress and extend the nation’s borrowing limit, and attempting such a step might trigger turmoil in the markets, two top White House advisers said.

Seeing as how the Republican party took back the house in 2010, I would guess that The People have spoken.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering