Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why do we produce cars capable of driving 200+ km/h?

It boggles my mind.

I love driving, I love high speeds and I enjoy a car with lots of horse powers. But I mainly live in Germany where you can pull that shit.

But in all honesty, most countries have a limit on how fast you can drive. Germany's like the only country where you can drive 300km/h... in a few selected places... at night.

All others? 120km/h, 130 at most.

So what's the point? Why is the Golf 5 TDI, which is by all means not a racing car, capable of driving almost or even above 200km/h?

It makes no sense. You aren't even allowed to drive that fast in 99% of the modern world.

I doubt it's because of that one guy who wants to drive his hybrid car on a racing track once a year....

Deleted
    If it's any comfort i've already wondered the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine part of it is that it would be more trouble to regulate that speed in the car than it would be worth.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'm really jealous of your no speed limit StayTuned. Damn you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I imagine part of it is that it would be more trouble to regulate that speed in the car than it would be worth.
    Most newer cars have onboard computers. Can't imagine it would be very expensive adding an electronic speedlimiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    They already limit the speeds. The Toyota Prius is limited to 172 km/h. And that's a damn Prius. Golf 6 GTI has a top speed of 238km/h

It just doesn't make any sense. Even the family car is build to exceed the maximum speed limits of almost all countries but Germany.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm really jealous of your no speed limit StayTuned. Damn you.
    No speed limits is why I want to stay in Germany. I hate it when I have to drive 120km/h through the Netherlands (sometimes 130km/h, not any better at all)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Most newer cars have onboard computers. Can't imagine it would be very expensive adding an electronic speedlimiter.
    There are. I believe stock BMW, Mercedes, etc. are governor-limited to 250kph in Germany.

I believe most cars in Canada govern-out at 171kph. Not that I've tested that. Certainly not on all 3 cars I've owned.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    There are. I believe stock BMW, Mercedes, etc. are governor-limited to 250kph in Germany.

I believe most cars in Canada govern-out at 171kph. Not that I've tested that. Certainly not on all 3 cars I've owned.
    There are built in limits in Germany, that's true. But as far as I know those limits only exist to protect the engine and you can get them removed at almost all car workshops. You immediately lose your warranty, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the job of the car manufacturers to police the speed limits. Most cars have limited top speeds as they become aerodynamically unstable beyond a certain speed

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they need to be limited? What would you set the limit to? What happens if I decide to drive through Germany, would I have to go to a garage to get it unrestricted?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Wow, you kidding me?
    Racing is a sport OP, it's called MOTORSPORT understand?
    There's a race track within driving range of you in almost every known part of the world, and going round it at 50k is not fucking cool.

Drag racing, bracket racing, full blown alcohol dragsters, funny cars, stock cars, sprint cars, rally cross, rally racing, formula one, bonneville salt flats, nurburgring, ANY of this ringing a bell with you?

Yah, ordinary people do partake and enjoy motorsports all the time.
    I've a car that will do 200MPH+ that I use every other weekend at the local track....and I have no tickets, no infractions, no warnings, and it's NOT because I just haven't been caught.
    It's because I understand the right time and place for such things.
    Stop trying to suggest that I shouldn't have said car due to your ideals and a few idiots/children who do not understand how to drive with responsible care.
    I saw a kid trip over a curb while texting yesterday, shall we take everyone's cell phones away now too?
    I am voting this thread down.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2013-10-04 at 10:00 PM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Seme View Post
    It's not the job of the car manufacturers to police the speed limits. Most cars have limited top speeds as they become aerodynamically unstable beyond a certain speed
    It's not their job unless you make it their job. It just makes no sense for lawmakers to not pass a mandatory speed limit into cars. If you wish to drive faster than that on a racing track, you can get special licences and cars for that. BMW will only allow you to get the VMax removed if you own a M series car and get a special drivers training. Or you get it done at your local car tuner.

Not like I heard somebody tried his Prius on a racing track before, anyway.

Many cars have governors, which limit speed...though a lot of them can be changed by the owner of the car. It also takes a long ass time for your average car, like my Impala, to reach anything that would be considered 'way faster than any speed limit.'

There are places in America out in the midwest where (generally) no fucks are given how fast you drive because there is absolutely nothing for many many miles sometimes. A quick Google search says a highway in Texas has an 85 mph limit which is apparently the highest in America.

For me pretty much the fastest I ever drive is about 75 on the highway, though I generally drive around 70 instead of 65. People including me do like cars with power and power is necessary in quite a few conditions, and I suppose they would have to have a governor in all cars in order to make cars that don't suck major dick. If they designed cars that could only top out at 65, then they would be weak-ass cars. I've driven little four-bangers before that have no balls to them and the fucking things can't even go up hills on a good day, I would not drive a piece of shit like that in the snow, I would sooner ride a pink bicycle. But manufacturers aren't usually going to spend money on features they aren't required to have, so most don't do it.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-10-04 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because if they made cars that only go 120 km/h, then people would be maxing them out all day long. It probably wouldn't be good for the car. I'm no expert though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Wow, you kidding me?
    Racing is a sport OP, it's called MOTORSPORT understand?
    There's a race track within driving range of you in almost every known part of the world, and going round it at 50k is not fucking cool.

Drag racing, bracket racing, full blown alcohol dragsters, funny cars, stock cars, sprint cars, rally cross, rally racing, formula one, bonneville salt flats, nurburgring, ANY of this ringing a bell with you?

Yah, ordinary people do partake and enjoy motorsports all the time.
    I've a car that will do 200MPH+ and I have no tickets, no infractions, no warnings, and it's NOT because I just haven't been caught.
    It's because I understand the right time and place for such things.
    Stop trying to suggest that I shouldn't have said car due to your ideals and a few idiots/children who do not understand how to drive with responsible care.
    I saw a kid trip over a curb while texting yesterday, shall we take everyone's cell phones away now too?
    I am voting this thread down.
    Nice rant, bro.

But you still missed my point. I own a BMW 523i myself so no idea what you're getting all worked up about.

While you can limit the speed by the on board computer, taking things into affect like tire size, transmission gearing, engine rpm, final drive ratio size, etc. Forcing a speed limit onto vehicles would do more harm than good, especially for manual shift vehicles that would most likely have issues with the computer control.

I drive my race car on the street plenty and drive like a normal person does following the traffic laws and have yet to be pulled over for breaking a law, just the occasion of curious police officer is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by stockishgsr View Post
    While you can limit the speed by the on board computer, taking things into affect like tire size, transmission gearing, engine rpm, final drive ratio size, etc. Forcing a speed limit onto vehicles would do more harm than good, especially for manual shift vehicles that would most likely have issues with the computer control.

I drive my race car on the street plenty and drive like a normal person does following the traffic laws and have yet to be pulled over for breaking a law, just the occasion of curious police officer is what happens.
    By race car you mean your street car which simply has a few HP too much?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Probably because if they made cars that only go 120 km/h, then people would be maxing them out all day long. It probably wouldn't be good for the car. I'm no expert though.
    I'm sure there are systems, where the car doesn't actually maxs out, but is merely limited in terms of going any faster beyond a certain point. It's not like you would be revving out 10k rpm at 120km/h ...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Nice rant, bro.

But you still missed my point.
    No I didn't, I just completely disagree.
    My car is capable of very high speeds, but I drive the posted limit on the roads. So considering that, what's your issue? Jealousy? Fear? What is it that makes you upset that other people have cars able to do high speeds?
    I mean, you do even have a point if I missed it? What IS your point?

I drive fast on the track, every other weekend, so do a LOT of people, in many, many makes and models of cars, I think you are just incredibly unaware or purposefully ignorant, intentionally obtuse even...go google some motorsports, you'll very quickly learn it is popular in all walks of life.
    Doesn't matter if you have a golf or a ferrari, you can go to a track day and really enjoy your car and driving.
    This entire thread is like asking why people build and overclock their computer, add multiple video cards, when most games do not even take advantage of the power the computer has.
    Because we can OP.
    But nice rant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Leonhardt View Post
    I didn't know you could just go in a track and race, I was wondering the exact same thing. It was just a question, he was not suggesting any sort of regulation or limitation to build slower cars. Slow your role there, Kid Crusader.
    Yup, track days are amazing and awesome, even the famed nurburgring can be driven by YOU with your current car, for a small amount of cash.

OH and just BTW OP, there are sections of the freeway in my country where 200kph IS the speed limit.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2013-10-04 at 10:15 PM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Leonhardt View Post
    I didn't know you could just go in a track and race, I was wondering the exact same thing. It was just a question, he was not suggesting any sort of regulation or limitation to build slower cars. Slow your role there, Crusader Kid.
    You can, even with your own car.

And while I have no exact numbers on it, I doubt that the majority of average Joe drivers actually do that. So it makes no sense from a legal point of view to not regulate family cars etc, which are not even classified as sport cars.

And since when do lawmakers actually care about minorities?

Waaaait a minute... lawmakers usually have lots of money. Lots of money equals good cars, equals fast cars. Ah.... they'd be cutting their own flesh.