Poll: What do you think?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Yes, if they pass their vision test with their glasses on.
    As i have never been, seen or spoken to someone in the army, how do they get around wearing glasses ?

Do they have to wear special goggles or something ? i certainly would not want to be in a firefight with a pair of glasses

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d0oms View Post
    As i have never been, seen or spoken to someone in the army, how do they get around wearing glasses ?

Do they have to wear special goggles or something ? i certainly would not want to be in a firefight with a pair of glasses
    They are issued both a set of near unbreakable pair of birth control glasses that have a lanyard on them so they cannot be dropped, they are also often issues lenses both for their respirator and ballistic goggles. Even without glasses though, they are expected to have a certain standard of vision, anyone that is near blind without glasses will not be accepted.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are issued both a set of near unbreakable pair of birth control glasses that have a lanyard on them so they cannot be dropped, they are also often issues lenses both for their respirator and ballistic goggles. Even without glasses though, they are expected to have a certain standard of vision, anyone that is near blind without glasses will not be accepted.
    We actually had one in my battalion that could barely see his hands without glasses. He also didnt like to shoot since he was "afraid" of the recoil(we used AG-3 so its abit of recoil). After the recruit he became our social planner(fixing trips for our days off, finding movies for the weekends and such). He still participated in some of the drills though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    We actually had one in my battalion that could barely see his hands without glasses. He also didnt like to shoot since he was "afraid" of the recoil(we used AG-3 so its abit of recoil). After the recruit he became our social planner(fixing trips for our days off, finding movies for the weekends and such). He still participated in some of the drills though.
    Conscript? There is no way a professional army would let him pass training.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    As said earlier depends on what you count as a minor health condition. Diabetes is a serious health condition in the army, but not perfect sight is not.
    I don't know about that. I was rejected because of my poor vision. Without glasses/lenses I would be completely useless as a soldier, at least as long as it involved discerning details from more than a meter away.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Lol diabetes is minor? Tell that to my friend with diabetes, she'll appreciate the joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    Conscript? There is no way a professional army would let him pass training.
    Yep. He was with us for the whole year though. Nice guy, but no army material

Deleted
    Ah i see, that makes sense i suppose, i'm guessing that they have to be able to function (i.e not trip over stuff) without glasses just incase?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I don't know about that. I was rejected because of my poor vision. Without glasses/lenses I would be completely useless as a soldier, at least as long as it involved discerning details from more than a meter away.
    You where lucky/unlucky(depends if you wanted in or not). As I said we had one in my battalion that could not see his hands without glasses, and we also had some that needed glasses to operate a vehicle(specified on their drivers license)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d0oms View Post
    Ah i see, that makes sense i suppose, i'm guessing that they have to be able to function (i.e not trip over stuff) without glasses just incase?
    Yup, if a man loses his glasses during a shitstorm, he can still fetch/carry suppliers, feed the GPMG or help load the mortar, freeing up the Mortar operator or GPMG gunners assistant to take his place as a rifleman.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-10-08 at 01:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    My eyesight isn't fantastic (I require glasses all the time) and this chap is correct, although I never used the inserts in my respirator (because they were impossible to fit) or ballistic goggles (because I didn't fancy getting hit by shrapnel with a big chunk of glass hovering 1cm from my eyes.

(Speaking from infantry point of view.)

The glasses they issue were some black plastic abominations, and I must have not got the deluxe model with the lanyard.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, if a man loses his glasses during a shitstorm, he can still fetch/carry suppliers, feed the GPMG or help load the mortar, freeing up the Mortar operator or GPMG gunners assistant to take his place a rifleman.
    If you can't even provide supressive/harrassing fire without your glasses at combat range, maybe your eyesight is probably a little too poor for the infantry at least.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    My eyesight isn't fantastic (I require glasses all the time) and this chap is correct, although I never used the inserts in my respirator (because they were impossible to fit) or ballistic goggles (because I didn't fancy getting hit by shrapnel with a big chunk of glass hovering 1cm from my eyes.

The glasses they issue were some black plastic abominations, and I must have not got the deluxe model with the lanyard.
    Thats why we call them birth control glasses, because nobody ever got laid wearing them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats why we call them birth control glasses, because nobody ever got laid wearing them.

Poor chap, at least mine were a somewhat subtle black.

+1 for typing "birth control glasses" into Google

The Yanks seem to be getting a little more stylish at least:

I use the word "stylish" losely.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2013-10-08 at 01:44 PM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted

Throw him in a coffee shop with oversized leather furniture and he'll be bang on trend. Hipster girls falling over themselves.

15+ Year Old Account

Oh, guess we are luckier in Norway. We got prescription glasses for the standard issued Shooting glasses(Wiley-X if I recall correctly). Aswell as somewhat close to what Mrgummage posted.

we called them the same thing (USN)
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.