Poll: What do you think?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Thats an odd thing to disqualify you for, did you not try other branches or try and get a medical waiver?
    Nope, they have you sign a paper in before that they may disqualify you for any medical reason they like. I was disqualified for life for the entire military due it being a birth"error".

Was depressed for a week as I worked my ass off to loose 15kg in 2 months...I was so motivated to go in.

I live in Belgium btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    why do people seem to think Rich is American?
    Who said he is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    why do people seem to think Rich is American?
    Canadians and Britons are Americans as far as I'm concerned. I'd feel at home in any of the three countries (less-so in Britain than in Canada/America, though.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Canadians and Britons are Americans as far as I'm concerned. I'd feel at home in any of the three countries (less-so in Britain than in Canada/America, though.)
    I still say we all form one super alliance, the Anglosphere.

That... what? They are complete different both on cultural and moral values in big ways... would be the same as saying that entire Asia is pretty much china, so everytone in Asia is chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    interesting...

its why i choose may cars based on how big their mirrors are. I have to actively turn my head like an owl to see things to my sides. lols. HOOT HOOT!
    Why do you have peripheral vision problems?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    That... what? They are complete different both on cultural and moral values in big ways... would be the same as saying that entire Asia is pretty much china, so everytone in Asia is chinese.
    No, not at all. Asia has a far greater range of cultural diversity than the anglosphere, especially the anglosphere when you only consider Canada/the U.S./the U.K.

I've traveled to the Middle East (Dubai), other parts of Asia, Europe, the U.K. (I won't lump them in with continental Europe), and Canada, and I can say with certainty that Canadian/American culture is essentially the same, and then British culture is nearly as congruent except with a few notable differences.

Relative to how different the rest of the world is, however, the U.S./Canada/Britain are very, very, very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I still say we all form one super alliance, the Anglosphere.

With all due respect, if our countries ever merged, our flag would be the following:

Canada/Britain are in no disposition to negotiate.

Deleted
    No, not at all. Asia has a far greater range of cultural diversity than the anglosphere, especially the anglosphere when you only consider Canada/the U.S./the U.K.

I've traveled to the Middle East (Dubai), other parts of Asia, Europe, the U.K. (I won't lump them in with continental Europe), and Canada, and I can say with certainty that Canadian/American culture is essentially the same, and then British culture is nearly as congruent except with a few notable differences.

Relative to how different the rest of the world is, however, the U.S./Canada/Britain are very, very, very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

With all due respect, if our countries ever merged, our flag would be the following:
    ]

Canada/Britain are in no disposition to negotiate.
    Someone has to hand hold you Yanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I was denied by the military for having a back that is too straight. I got multiple clinic scans saying it will never impact my life in any way or shape and they found it strange they would deny me for such reason.

Even having known this huge dissapointment, I understand why they will not accept me. If they have to ignore my minor birtherror then they would have to do it for other people as well. They draw everyone over the same line, which is a hard and sometimes silly one...but overall the best one to deal with.
    This is pure guesswork but I can imagine you could be more prone to injuries due to impact from landing on your feet from high falls/parachuting

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    This is pure guesswork but I can imagine you could be more prone to injuries due to impact from landing on your feet from high falls/parachuting
    I was going in as a technician. I would never leave the military airport...like ever. :P Only paracommandos do the stuff you just mentioned. Hence the doctors found it even more weird, on top of it being weird to begin with as it will never impact my life.

Deleted
    Yeah, i don't think allowing anyone who isn't in top shape (health wise) is a great idea.

You can be barred from certain roles also for your height too so this seems like a pity jerk really... Some people are just not fit to serve, there are other programs though - which support the military and the like as a civvy iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the bigger question after reading all this is why aren't police officers required to be in better shape..
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I think the bigger question after reading all this is why aren't police officers required to be in better shape..
    I made a thread on that once, I got a lot of hate and got accused of of promoting fat hate.

found it

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ness-standards

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I am not sure what you mean. They are required to be in exceptional physical/mental shape, and have to pass tests every couple of month, which require them to be able to run a certain distance within a set amount of time, and some other stuff. Also, being a police-officer is one of the hardest jobs to get there is, and it is often close to impossible if you have not been in the military prior to becoming an officer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, being a police-officer is one of the hardest jobs to get there is, and it is often close to impossible if you have not been in the military prior to becoming an officer.
    Excuse me while I try to recover from temporary laughter-induced asphyxiation.

Being a police-officer is one of the few jobs that have an upper intelligence limit, meaning that you can be too intelligent for the job. They frown upon intelligent people with critical thinking skills (in the U.S. at least), while actively seeking those who lack the intellectual fortitude to think critically.

Being a police-officer is one of the few jobs that have an upper intelligence limit, meaning that you can be too intelligent for the job. They frown upon intelligent people with critical thinking skills (in the U.S. at least), while actively seeking those who lack the intellectual fortitude to think critically.
    Here it is the exact opposite. Here they have a lower limit for intelligence, and stupid people are frowned upon. On top of that, police officers is also among the most respected and trusted professions in Denmark, just below doctors, and above firemen (according to a large-scale survey conducted by DR1 (Our national TV channel). Funny fact, politicians where pretty much at the bottom of the list).

10+ Year Old Account
    Here it is the exact opposite. Here they have a lower limit for intelligence, and stupid people are frowned upon. On top of that, police officers is also among the most respected and trusted professions in Denmark, just below doctors, and above firemen.
    Yes, you see, in the U.S., cops are known as "pigs." Of course, there's a few cops out there who are genuinely good and honorable people, but as for the rest, refer to this song:

Deleted

Of course. God forbid you question what you're being told to do.

Deleted
    I am not sure what you mean. They are required to be in exceptional physical/mental shape, and have to pass tests every couple of month, which require them to be able to run a certain distance within a set amount of time, and some other stuff. Also, being a police-officer is one of the hardest jobs to get there is, and it is often close to impossible if you have not been in the military prior to becoming an officer.
    Well no, the entry exam isn't that difficult. Also they can have more physical faults (which isn't bad perse).

The major difference between the police and the military is that once your done with your trials you can slack off and you are barely tested to stay fit. In the military you are constantly tested and pushed to stay in shape. I'm well aware that staying in shape doesn't mean being Captain America or The Hulk...something movies don't always show correctly. :P

Yes, you see, in the U.S., cops are known as "pigs." Of course, there's a few cops out there who are genuinely good and honorable people, but as for the rest, refer to this song]
    Well yeah, i was just pointing out that you should most likely put an *american* before your police officers if you are speaking about... you know american police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Well no, the entry exam isn't that difficult. Also they can have more physical faults (which isn't bad perse).

The major difference between the police and the military is that once your done with your trials you can slack off and you are barely tested to stay fit. In the military you are constantly tested and pushed to stay in shape. I'm well aware that staying in shape doesn't mean being Captain America or The Hulk...something movies don't always show correctly. :P
    Yeah sure they are not special forces, but they are still way above the normal citizen in fitness. Me neighboor, and friend is at the moment trying to become a police officer, and is working damn hard to get there. He spoke to them about how to get in, and the fastest way for him, seemed to first take 2 years in the military to get a little older (You got no chance to even get into police school without being in your twenty's).
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2013-10-05 at 11:35 PM.