Poll: What do you think?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I'm wondering the same, Basic isn't all that hard. You just do your best not to stand out and be able to handle a bit of shouting here and there.
    How do you know?

Deleted
    It depends if they're a liability or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    How do you know?
    Been to a few bases while Basic is going on, physically speaking it's pretty simple for anyone in decent shape. The drill sergeants yell at people to train them to handle pressure because they can't exactly shoot at them with guns as a way to imitate pressure because that would be life threatening therefore they resort to shouting. Most people are smart and understand to stay quiet and keep their mouth shut and not to say anything that would make them stand out. Then you get your other people who are complete idiots such as the ones who get a haircut and ask for the guy to keep a bit of hair on... That right there is a start to getting yourself noticed in the wrong way. Drill sergeants will team up on you if you make a scene and I mean it can get bad, keep your head low and do what you have to do.

To be honest, the drill sergeants can be quite funny sometimes.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-10-05 at 07:45 PM.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Been to a few bases while Basic is going on, physically speaking it's pretty simple for anyone in decent shape. The drill sergeants yell at people to train them to handle pressure because they can't exactly shoot at them with guns as a way to imitate pressure because that would be life threatening therefore they resort to shouting. Most people are smart and understand to stay quiet and keep their mouth shut and not to say anything that would make them stand out. Then you get your other people who are complete idiots such as the ones who get a haircut and ask for the guy to keep a bit of hair on... That right there is a start to getting yourself noticed in the wrong way. Drill sergeants will team up on you if you make a scene and I mean it can get bad, keep your head low and do what you have to do.
    Unless you have been through military training you are not in a position to claim something is easy, lots of things go on in basic training that visitors will not see. They will be exhausted, very hungry and disorientated, shouting is a very tiny part of training, infact being shouted is one of the easiest things to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you have been through military training you are not in a position to claim something is easy, lots of things go on in basic training that visitors will not see. They will be exhausted, very hungry and disorientated, shouting is a very tiny part of training, infact if being shouted is one of the easiest things to deal with.
    I guess I'll have to go through it and get honors during graduation for it and tell you then.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    I guess I'll have to go through it and get honors during graduation for it and tell you then.
    At the end you will claim it is easy, but I bet you wont be saying that halfway through training. Starvation and exhaustion makes everybody cranky, no matter how tough they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the end you will claim it is easy, but I bet you wont be saying that halfway through training. Starvation and exhaustion makes everybody cranky, no matter how tough they are.
    Dad said the same thing, I'm sure there will be times where I find it annoying/difficult but it's nothing I can't do (I'll tell myself that).
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Dad said the same thing, I'm sure there will be times where I find it annoying/difficult but it's nothing I can't do (I'll tell myself that).
    The way I did it was taking baby steps, I did not look forward to the end of my training instead I looked towards the end of every week, those 2 hours off every Sunday to attend church (yeah right!) were a God send, no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonious Monk View Post
    Military admissions standards, at least in the US, shift depending on how many billets there are to fill. A few years back, you could get in with a GED, a drug conviction, and maybe some minor medical issues (although never diabetes - they can't guarantee you'll get insulin in the field, and if they do get it to you, they can't guarantee temperatures low enough that it won't die and lose its effectiveness). Now the services are drawing down and the minimum requirements are becoming more stringent. It's just the way it works.
    As long as those involved understand the risk, where's the harm?

You can enlist, but there's no guarantee you'll receive your insulin and should you become a liability, you'll be on your own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post

You can enlist, but there's no guarantee you'll receive your insulin and should you become a liability, you'll be on your own.
    You would ask people to leave one of their own behind? One of their mates they have drank, slept and trained with all that time?

You would ask people to leave one of their own behind? One of their mates they have drank, slept and trained with all that time?
    Yep. And if anyone tries to help them, the officer should publicly execute both of them.

Deleted
    Yep. And if anyone tries to help them, the officer should publicly execute both of them.
    Commissar Nakura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragging
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-10-05 at 08:38 PM.

For one, this goes against the training creed of pretty much any army ever.

For another, supply chains aren't 100% reliable. Getting stuck on duty and your supply chain gets wrecked? Well, there go all your diabetics.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or?
    Hey everyone

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To prevent the derailing of another thread. By "relatively minor," I mean things like diabetes, but excluding things like paralysis and terminal cancer.

If you believe they should be allowed to serve, should they only be allowed in non-combat positions? Also, how would you deal with sending them medication?

Note: I'm not referring to lowering the standards of the military, these people would still have to undergo the exact same training regiment as everyone else.

If you think diabetes is minor you haven't seen what it can do to people.

Case-by-case. Keep in mind it's not just that person who's life is at risk but also the lives of those that serve with them. An illness could very well interfere with their capacity to perform a task at hand in dire circumstances. And yeah, diabetes is not minor.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...my initial medical tests took 3 days, they poke and probe every orifice.
    A one day medical that you voluntarily retook twice?

Deleted
    I was denied by the military for having a back that is too straight. I got multiple clinic scans saying it will never impact my life in any way or shape and they found it strange they would deny me for such reason.

Even having known this huge dissapointment, I understand why they will not accept me. If they have to ignore my minor birtherror then they would have to do it for other people as well. They draw everyone over the same line, which is a hard and sometimes silly one...but overall the best one to deal with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I was denied by the military for having a back that is too straight. I got multiple clinic scans saying it will never impact my life in any way or shape and they found it strange they would deny me for such reason.

Even having known this huge dissapointment, I understand why they will not accept me. If they have to ignore my minor birtherror then they would have to do it for other people as well. They draw everyone over the same line, which is a hard and sometimes silly one...but overall the best one to deal with.
    Thats an odd thing to disqualify you for, did you not try other branches or try and get a medical waiver?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats an odd thing to disqualify you for, did you not try other branches or try and get a medical waiver?
    Yeah, some branches aren't as picky, I would check it out again.
    Hey everyone