Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    You kidding that gear made them easy? I would have actually gotten Glorius! long before 90 if three rares weren't phased in Valley of Eternal Blossom. In fact I killed most rares at 85 (including all of the available level 90 ones), for I was playing MoP 10 days trial couple of times.

This is like people claming that WotLK and Cataclysm heroics were as difficult as TBC ones.
    Still harder then most of the tank and spank rares from vanilla and bc. I personally think the cata one were harder than most of the bc heroics because most of the bc heroics were tank and spanks.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2013-10-06 at 10:05 PM.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBacon View Post
    I like how implying TBC wasn't superior in every single tiny little aspect is enough to just blow some people's minds.
    Much like how implying MoP isn't superior in every single tiny little aspect gets you accused of being a "hater" by other (presumably different) people?
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by worsthitmanNa View Post
    They all had one shot mechanics at the start of the expansion but gear made them easier. The jinyu or w/e would one shot if they weren't interrupted.
    One shot what? In MOP heroics?

Heroics in MOP were all faceroll AOE fest. I hardly had time to loot corpses running after the tank.

No same level world NPC ever one-shots, unless elite.

there's a whole bunch of addons these days so that even monkeys can raid at a decent level if they wish to. Sure some people got better, but others are able to be "better" without actually playing/trying to be.

I never played TBC, but TBC appears to have been a heck of a lot harder. Especially with 40 man raids.

Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post
    there's a whole bunch of addons these days so that even monkeys can raid at a decent level if they wish to. Sure some people got better, but others are able to be "better" without actually playing/trying to be.

I never played TBC, but TBC appears to have been a heck of a lot harder. Especially with 40 man raids.
    You never played TBC which is why you haven't got a clue about it.

1. TBC had addons just like today, Deadly Boss Mods specifically.
    2. TBC had no 40man raids.

I did play TBC, it was harder to get gear, everything required more grinding and more time, attunement quests to slow you down or stop you from being able to even enter raids. Heroic 5mans were way way harder, raids weren't... unless you count the trash. The trash in raids was harder in the same way that Heroic 5mans were hard, it was the trash and not the bosses that were hard.

Raid bosses in MOP are much harder than TBC, it isn't even comparable to be honest. Though you have to compare Heroic modes with TBC Normal modes, maybe unfair but that is the reality.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-10-07 at 03:45 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think an argument could also be made that sure each fight may not have the same amount of crazy mechanics but at that time players had way less options in terms of gear scale, skills and a much "younger" player base. What I mean by younger is that players not entirely accustom to raiding/mechanic concept not young as in age.
    "So what do you guys do outside of video games?"
    <Awkward silence, pause>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post

I did play TBC, it was harder to get gear, everything required more grinding and more time, attunement quests to slow you down or stop you from being able to even enter raids. Heroic 5mans were way way harder, raids weren't... unless you count the trash. The trash in raids was harder in the same way that Heroic 5mans were hard, it was the trash and not the bosses that were hard.

Raid bosses in MOP are much harder than TBC, it isn't even comparable to be honest. Though you have to compare Heroic modes with TBC Normal modes, maybe unfair but that is the reality.
    I can agree with the raids outside of Sunwell, that place was balls to deal with.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    One shot what? In MOP heroics?

Heroics in MOP were all faceroll AOE fest. I hardly had time to loot corpses running after the tank.

No same level world NPC ever one-shots, unless elite.
    I was talking about mist of pandaria rares not heroic dungeons.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Raids in BC were about cooperation. Now raiding is all about complexity. Complex specializations, complex bosses and abilities. There was a sense of working together in BC raids, now when I'm raiding I feel like I'm playing a single player game.

Harder now? More complex for sure. More fun? nope.
    Let Reason Prevail

15+ Year Old Account
    Raid encounters have undoubtedly become much more mechanically difficult, but raids have also become more accessible and player skill has improved in step.

If you were to go back to 2006 and drop a bunch of 25-man BC raiders into the current 25-man raids (hard mode: heroics), they would likely be overwhelmed. Not to say they wouldn't learn, but I'm sure it would take way more attempts than the BC bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarion View Post
    Raids in BC were about cooperation. Now raiding is all about complexity. Complex specializations, complex bosses and abilities. There was a sense of working together in BC raids, now when I'm raiding I feel like I'm playing a single player game.

Harder now? More complex for sure. More fun? nope.
    I find myself disliking raids more and more. Bosses are becoming too complex, and its ruining my fun. Its not about group work, firelands/ds felt like the last work together raid

Metagame in TBC was harder.

Leveling was harder.
    Dungeons were harder.
    Attunements.
    Getting geared (prepared) for raids was WAY harder
    Legendaries were luck based and IMO harder to get (My Guid NEVER completed warglaives - we had 3 offhand drops tho; as for now, all 10 players in my raid grp are using cloak)
    Grinding pots (oh god, how many mana or destro pots I wasted on every Hyjal clear!), flasks and food was harder.
    Getting specific classes for bosses was PITA (lock tank for leotheras or illidan, FR tanks for illidan, shamans for SWP, priests for Felmyst, leatherworkers for DPS groups etc.)
    Doing even simple tasks, such as AoE tanking and CC'ing, was harder for most classes (we had WAY less tools back then).
    Some bosses were still quite challenging (Kael, Lady V, Muru and KJ were my favorites)
    -
    Ok sure Heroic Raiding is harder now. Heroic raiding... not THE GAME itself.

>tbc
    >no boss mods

Another person who played post cataclysm that says he was there during BC.

Deleted
    I miss 1st heroics in cata. Grim batol - mass CC - carefull pull. Boss fights - u had to watch mechanics, or u will die. And now heroics are just patchwerk fight... I want hard HC 5mans back...

Raids are fine. They are challenging. We have now 4 difficulties. Normals have to be hard.

Deleted
    Its the same, gear is just easier to get so it makes raiding seem easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    I think elites in timeless isle provide that proper amount of non-forgiving mechanics that are needed in more rewarding end-game pve, while the isle still has mundane, softer creatures to attack for poorer geared/skilled players. I don't remember anything on IQD that could one shot you if you didn't move in time or failed to interrupt.
    Now if only they were difficult for warlocks/hunters/other mobile ranged
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Nothing really stands out as being harder in MoP. While the more modern bosses have more to them in terms of tactics, back in TBC classes were capable of much much less. Levelling was definitely harder in TBC, same with gearing up. Rep farming was harder, although not exactly necessary for the gearing process. A thing you did for fun, if anything. Yeah.. really can't think of anything :/

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Dungeons and "the world" was harder/tougher in TBC.

Raiding was undoubtedly easier, barring tuning errors that were later nerfed into the floor because they made the fight ridiculous. I don't think that's even up for discussion. Every raider now has more personal responsibility than ever and the boss ability list is longer and more unforgiving than ever.

I feel like a lot of older bosses hit a lot harder with their basic attacks (tanks getting gibbed was very common back then compared to now) and tanks didn't have as much control over their damage intake as they do now. That can often lead to a nostalgic view that the bosses were harder. In reality, they were less fair and players were much worse than they are now.
    This pretty much.

The world and 5-mans were harder. Although there are outdoor rares/events that match TBC difficulty, and if you want BC style heroic, go challenge modes. I know challenge modes lacks a proper reward after you complete gold once, and that's main problem for them.

Raiding these days is much harder than in TBC. Back then most bosses had only a few abilities and as a DPS you'd often just DPS and maybe have 1 ability to watch for (think Norushen without going inside), even LFR is comparable to the easier raids in vanilla/TBC in terms of difficulty.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

It's easier to have fun while the challenges, if you accept them, are much harder.

In general raiding has become more difficult I'd say. I won't judge by how much, but it definitely has. Addons, keybinds, no keyboard turning are pretty much a necessity now when it comes to being a decent raider. I remember started to raid in TBC and not having any of those things and doing "okay" (ie: getting about half way through black temple by the time WoTLK came around). Players in general have a new standard really when it comes to raiding. Although people still tunnel, get lazy, watch tv, etc and I think that's what holds a lot of people back from progressing a lot faster.