Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Sending items to alts

    Hi!

    I created my first alt today but i cant send him something because i havent him in my friend list (and can´t add him)

    is there any way to send something to yourself?

    thanks in advance :3

  2. #2
    No, there is no way to send things to yourself. You will need to have someone else play the middle man.
    FREE Gold Making Tips
    13,700,000g+ Made Since January 19, 2012
    @Elvinelol

  3. #3
    hm really? if i want to send something there is always a red message wich says "you have nobody in your friend list" :/


    edit: awww. thanks Elvine.

    i will ask somebody ^^

  4. #4
    Dreadlord Icaras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    792
    Elvine is right, the game is designed so that only characters in your friends list can recieve mail from yoyu. You can't add your own characters to your friends list.

    Currently m and the friend I'm leveling with have our own Free Company (Mostly for being able to chat privately with each other during dungeons) and the company chest has worked as a great way to transfer gil and items between my alts.

    You'll still need at least one other person to help you establish an FC if you intend to try, but that one person can create 3 separate characters to help establish it if /shout isn't being too helpful.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

  5. #5
    You don't have enough space between your inventory and two Retainers? I guess i could see it happening, but I've been leveling classes that use the same gear to similar levels so I could get rid of the lower stuff.

  6. #6
    Really? We are in 2013 and you can't mail something to your alts?
    If the game is lacking something so basic, I doubt it will last long.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    Really? We are in 2013 and you can't mail something to your alts?
    If the game is lacking something so basic, I doubt it will last long.
    Instead of 'lacking something so basic' ... maybe, just maybe, they made a choice. They chose to not allow this. In a game that allows your one, single toon to be every possible thing in the game, maybe, just maybe, they considered not that many people would be rolling alts, and most of them would be doing everything on that one toon. They do give you TONS of bagspace from level 1. Then they give you MASSIVE storage in the form of 2 retainers.

    If I were to turn that around, NO other game gives you that much standard bag space to start. EVERY other game you have to pay to unlocks more space through bags or an NPC (bags Rift, WoW; NPC Tera, SWtOR [through UI]).

    As far as adding your own toons as friends, I know there is a game or two that has this restriction, but I cannot recall atm.

    It is an inconvenience for those of us who choose to roll alts instead of an all-in-one toon. But this is no game breaking issue. I roll alts and haven't even tried to send myself mail yet. I find re-rolling is pretty self sufficient overall. You make tons of gil, so there isn't much you need to buy. The problem would come in with professions supporting each other; but my plan is having a profession alt that completely supports itself and doesn't do any combat class outside of getting to level 10 to unlock other classes.

    If you do have that many alts, it is much easier to set up your own FC. In fact, this is quite common in most games; ex: I have several bank alts in WoW that have their own guild across my servers. My wife and I have our own guilds with many tabs unlocked for the same basic purpose, personal storage and shared storage between each other and our alts. It is a hell of a lot more efficient than using the mail system as well. In WoW, you can only send 12 'stacks' at a time, where I can fill many tabs at once in a guild bank. The only thing I used mail for was a storage system outside of personal bank/bag space before opening up more bank alts for excess ... at one point I had a bank alt for vanilla items, one for bc, one for wrath, etc.

    Dalch, I think you are being silly at best, and ridiculously negative otherwise.

    FFXI has lasted a decade+. This game will last quite a long time because their goals aren't to be top in subs, but deliver a good game to the people who enjoy it. That doesn't need to include everyone.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord Icaras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    Really? We are in 2013 and you can't mail something to your alts?
    If the game is lacking something so basic, I doubt it will last long.
    You do realize that this is a game where you can play all classes on one character, right? Yes it is a pain to have to jump through hoops if you want an alt, but if you find it that much of a bother, you can simply do everything on one character. Did you post that just to be negative about a game you don't seem to play?
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Ixator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    658
    It is a bit strange that you cant send stuff to your other characters. Don't know why, is it some way to eliminate ingame spam or something? Anyway, I just love the fact that I just need one char to play anything I want and not needing to wait "ages" to use my mount from lvl 1
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    Instead of 'lacking something so basic' ... maybe, just maybe, they made a choice. They chose to not allow this. In a game that allows your one, single toon to be every possible thing in the game, maybe, just maybe, they considered not that many people would be rolling alts, and most of them would be doing everything on that one toon. They do give you TONS of bagspace from level 1. Then they give you MASSIVE storage in the form of 2 retainers.

    If I were to turn that around, NO other game gives you that much standard bag space to start. EVERY other game you have to pay to unlocks more space through bags or an NPC (bags Rift, WoW; NPC Tera, SWtOR [through UI]).

    As far as adding your own toons as friends, I know there is a game or two that has this restriction, but I cannot recall atm.

    It is an inconvenience for those of us who choose to roll alts instead of an all-in-one toon. But this is no game breaking issue. I roll alts and haven't even tried to send myself mail yet. I find re-rolling is pretty self sufficient overall. You make tons of gil, so there isn't much you need to buy. The problem would come in with professions supporting each other; but my plan is having a profession alt that completely supports itself and doesn't do any combat class outside of getting to level 10 to unlock other classes.

    If you do have that many alts, it is much easier to set up your own FC. In fact, this is quite common in most games; ex: I have several bank alts in WoW that have their own guild across my servers. My wife and I have our own guilds with many tabs unlocked for the same basic purpose, personal storage and shared storage between each other and our alts. It is a hell of a lot more efficient than using the mail system as well. In WoW, you can only send 12 'stacks' at a time, where I can fill many tabs at once in a guild bank. The only thing I used mail for was a storage system outside of personal bank/bag space before opening up more bank alts for excess ... at one point I had a bank alt for vanilla items, one for bc, one for wrath, etc.

    Dalch, I think you are being silly at best, and ridiculously negative otherwise.

    FFXI has lasted a decade+. This game will last quite a long time because their goals aren't to be top in subs, but deliver a good game to the people who enjoy it. That doesn't need to include everyone.
    This man right here for president of mcawesomeville! Well said Mr. President

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    Really? We are in 2013 and you can't mail something to your alts?
    If the game is lacking something so basic, I doubt it will last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    It is a bit strange that you cant send stuff to your other characters. Don't know why, is it some way to eliminate ingame spam or something? Anyway, I just love the fact that I just need one char to play anything I want and not needing to wait "ages" to use my mount from lvl 1
    There is no reason to have an alt in this game on the same server. If you want to play another class and Boost it, you can without needing to roll another toon.

    It also discourages rerolling new character to take advantage of lowby quests that are meant to help new players but could be exploited. For instance you could endlessly reroll new toons level them to 10 on a DoW and then level all the crafts to 10 to get the crystals from the quests and sell them or feed them to your higher level toons.

    You can still do this you just need an accomplice which lessens the chance its exploited I guess.

  12. #12
    It forces people who buy gil to put the sellers on their friends list to receive it in the mail making the sales easier to track

  13. #13
    Pit Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,330
    Those commenting about the fact you can do everyone on one character are forgetting not everyone wants to all the classes on one character. I LIKE having a different character design for my bard, my white mage, etc etc. I don't want my white mage to be a miqo'te or look the way I made my bard.

    I really wish they would do something so that those of us who do want to roll alts have some means of sending atleast items to our alts without having to find someone to be the middle man. :\

  14. #14
    Tinfoy is right. They've stated the reason you require someone to be on your friends list to send mail (and thus preventing you from sending stuff to alts) is to combat RMT.

    For Square Enix, RMT is public enemy #1. They'll do whatever it takes if they believe it'll help combat RMT.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    There is no reason to have an alt in this game on the same server.
    This is, infact, false.

    This game does not supply enough content to level more then 1 character to level 50 unless you love mindlessly grinding fates.

    I have a level 50 summoner (did main story quests, all guildheist quests, capped out my levemete quests daily)

    Tried to level a lancer on the same toon, oh and what a suprise to me when I realized that I could literally do nothing but levemetes, fates, and hunting logs. All of which were capped out by level 13 (fuck fates, not grinding them)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    This is, infact, false.

    This game does not supply enough content to level more then 1 character to level 50 unless you love mindlessly grinding fates.

    I have a level 50 summoner (did main story quests, all guildheist quests, capped out my levemete quests daily)

    Tried to level a lancer on the same toon, oh and what a suprise to me when I realized that I could literally do nothing but levemetes, fates, and hunting logs. All of which were capped out by level 13 (fuck fates, not grinding them)
    You do realize you are contradicting yourself, right? First you say being able to level another class on the same toon is false because there is not enough content, then you say that "there are levemetes, fates and hunting logs (and dungeons, by the way) to do it". So which is it?

    The game does indeed supply you with content to level more than one class in one toon, which means having alts in this game is pointless aside from wanting to play another race for looks. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it is false.
    Last edited by Infighter; 2013-10-07 at 11:33 PM.

  17. #17
    No developer would ever be foolish enough to release enough questing content to level to 50 on every class, on one character. They'd be better off packaging all that extra content and selling it as expansions.

    The appeal of being able to level all classes on one characters is for a smaller section of the player base, like me, who can't stand having alts, even if it means grinding.

  18. #18
    The only need to roll an alt I can see is if you want to play another race, or if you want to see how the beginning story chain starts off in each of the 3 cities.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    You do realize you are contradicting yourself, right? First you say being able to level another class on the same toon is false because there is not enough content, then you say that "there are levemetes, fates and hunting logs (and dungeons, by the way) to do it". So which is it?

    The game does indeed supply you with content to level more than one class in one toon, which means having alts in this game is pointless aside from wanting to play another race for looks. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it is false.
    It's not a contradiction. If you read my post you should have realized that that I said hunting logs cap out around level 12/13, levemetes also cap out.

    At this point you're only option is to grind fates (and doing that fucking sucks as the thousands upon thousands of posts I read and people I talk to on multiple servers, majority agree with that statement)

    Therefore, not enough content to level. Dungeons aren't available at level 12/13 either.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    It's not a contradiction. If you read my post you should have realized that that I said hunting logs cap out around level 12/13, levemetes also cap out.

    At this point you're only option is to grind fates (and doing that fucking sucks as the thousands upon thousands of posts I read and people I talk to on multiple servers, majority agree with that statement)

    Therefore, not enough content to level. Dungeons aren't available at level 12/13 either.
    But FATEs are content... just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean they do not exist. You saying that there is not enough content then saying that you have options to level at the same time is a contradiction and a fallacy.

    You can easily reach level 10 doing full hunting log rank 1, reach level 15 doing some hunting log rank 2 and some fates and then spam dungeons with whatever else you'd like. FATEs will always be the best way to level as of right now, but there are other slower ways if you don't want to do them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •