Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igoraw View Post
    "At the Blizzcon 2011 World of Warcraft Open Q&A panel, Metzen was again asked about reviving Illidan. He asked the crowd if it was something they would like to see, the crowd exploded and cheered in response, and he said they would work on it. He later revisited the topic during the World of Warcraft Lore Q&A panel, after being asked about the dead bodies of important villains. Metzen indicated that based on fan reaction they would most likely bring Illidan back, and would have to decide on a way to revive him, noting that his corpse would be very significant."
    And so they did. Look at the Well of Eternity raid
    Illidan is dead, and he should stay dead as others have said.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    And so they did. Look at the Well of Eternity raid
    Illidan is dead, and he should stay dead as others have said.
    read the last part maybe ? what did his body have to do with WoE, obviously he was speaking of another event that hasn't unfolded yet Maybe he'll be undead or maybe we just rezz him like we did with another Demon hunter. Or maybe he's not dead at all and just a prisoner of Maiev.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokaproductionist View Post
    It was 10K years in the past, you kidding?
    I think the meant that WoE was Blizzard's way of keeping up their word about "bringing Illidan back".
    They did bring him "back", for a dungeon.

Stuff like this honestly seems more fitting than having someone resurrect Illidan or a retcon that says he never died at all.
    All these scenarios look dangerous to me, and I do love Illidan it's not like I wouldn't like him back.

There is a pretty massive difference between the death of Illidan and the death of Arthas.
    So much so that you can't really compare the two.

Arthas had his own expansion. Arthas was the main story line and everything (except the Nexus War and Ulduar lore) pretty much led you to the inevitable fight against Arthas from the moment you stepped foot on the shores of Northrend. Arthas' efforts were defeated in every zone, his armies pushed back, Icecrown laid siege to on two fronts, his inner sanctums plundered for information to fight him with and then he fell, made peace with his past actions and the moment of his downfall, and died.

Illidan had basically none of that.
    In "his" expansion, he was nothing--Illidan literally meant less to Burning Crusade than Malygos meant to the Wrath expansion as a whole. Certainly Thorim and Loken had better Storylines than Illidan had in BC. The entire Burning crusade expansions was basically the story of the Blood Elves falling to corruption and then finding redemption. Illidan had virtually no presnce anywhere in outland, his underlings are all working for themselves... Even his instance has almost nothing to do with him as a character, you simply fight through the groups that serve under him and find him meditating at the top of the temple, fight him, and then have Maiev come save you and cut him down.

The largest difference is that Illidan's story was just never finished.
    He had all of these things going on, his relationship with Tyrande and Malfurion, his struggle to save his people and Azeroth, his increasing demonic taint... everything about him was just left by the wayside... The only resolution for him in Burning Crusade was the hatred between he and Maiev, and it amounted to the last 60 seconds of a single encounter.

The only character development we got for him was that he was fighting to take control of Outland and force the Legion out.

The entire plot surrounding him in BC was just really badly done. It's never even really explained why the hell we march into the Black Temple and attack him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    There is a pretty massive difference between the death of Illidan and the death of Arthas.

[...]

The entire plot surrounding him in BC was just really badly done. It's never even really explained why the hell we march into the Black Temple and attack him.
    It was NOT badly done, it was just a completely different concept of videogame. You seem to favour the cinematographic approach of WotLK in game design and story telling, but it doesn't mean that different approaches are poor: The Legend of Zelda (1986) is not a bad game or with a poorly written story just because it's not as 'cinematographic' as, say, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001); and I don't say cinematographic just for the massive use of non playable sequences in the latter, but for the way the story develops. While I picked two games that are fifteen years apart to give a clear idea of the concept, the difference still applies within shorter time frames. In fact, The Burning Crusade almost seems to belong to a different generation than the Wrath of the Lich King.

They're different, and you favour WotLK while, for instance, I favour BC also for its approch to the narrative part of the game. I won't spend many words for reminding you that, while Storm Peaks was an extremely nice area, the whole of Ulduar was not only completely out of place in WotLK storyline, but was also quite a gross adaption from German mythologies. Then, for developing the Lich King storyline, what else did they do? Let's see: they recycled a level 60 dungeon while dumbing it down so much that it was embarassing; they gave us a horrible patch and raid dungeon such a ToC / ToGC; finally, they had ICC out for _one year_. Wow, so much for a good story.

Beside, as a whole I prefer the complexity and the unresolved plot twists such as in the BC, with its many villains. Focusing on one bad guy, maybe shoving it up your face for the whole expansion is... childish. Like the first trip in Hyjal at the beginning of Cataclysm: hey, let's show Ragnaros and Deathwing right away so people don't get confused.
    Trying to develop a story like they did in the WotLK only ends with highlighting its shortcomings.
    Last edited by Memory; 2013-10-06 at 02:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosturn View Post
    Mankrik: my wife
    HAHAHAHAHA omg yes.

Legion is returning on a scale never before seen. Fearing for the worst, wrathion resurrects illidan, Varian goes to northrend to ask Bolvar for the support of the scourge. Super Thrall pulls garrosh from prison and Sylvanas learns to turn all mortal races into undead. Both factions lightly band together to face the incoming danger, yet still squabble over petty things.

World of Warcraft: Enemies United.

Deleted
    It can very well be that Kil'jaeden finds his corpse and revives him in undeath, mutilating his body.
    But in my opinion, the return of a main character is slowly becoming a cliché in both the Warcraft universe and many other stories, he should stay dead in my opinion. People die once and never come back.

Update:
    I can understand that people want him back, but sometimes those with an epic story who died should stay dead so that their character cannot be "harmed":
    Let's say Blizz does bring back Illidan, but completely fucks up his character and everything he stood for. People will remember that as a bad thing, but because it's canon cannot be reversed. Everyone will want to remember Illidan for who he was earlier on.
    I can guarantee that if Blizz brings him back, with WoW's current way of dealing with new lore, they'll want to remember him only by what had happened before.
    Last edited by mmoc1cb88fe73b; 2013-10-06 at 03:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Arthas is dead, Illidan... probably not. Would actually be cool if Kael'thas came too I miss him
    Illidan will return, but will not be able to speak, or express any ideal sense of himself, he will be a demon corpse which the raiders will need to extinguish.

Kael'thas will return, in a circus bazar. We will have the opportunity to play the game that he will be featured in...."Hit the mark and watch him fall". It will be more succesfull than Battle Pets. I will revel in joy when he keeps repeating "This is only a setback" as I throw that snowball/tomato and watch him fall into a pool of ice cold water.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    But in my opinion, the return of a main character is slowly becoming a cliché in both the Warcraft universe and many other stories, he should stay dead in my opinion.
    ^ this so much.

Why do people still want Illidan back? How about let Blizzard come up with some brand new characters, instead of badly milking out the old ones, like Thrall?

Before TBC launched, I always thought that Illidan died in WC3: TFT by Arthas. Not sure if he was supposed to die, but you should be happy that Illidan atleast got his own expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    It was NOT badly done, it was just a completely different concept of videogame. You seem to favour the cinematographic approach of WotLK in game design and story telling, but it doesn't mean that different approaches are poor: The Legend of Zelda (1986) is not a bad game or with a poorly written story just because it's not as 'cinematographic' as, say, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001); and I don't say cinematographic just for the massive use of non playable sequences in the latter, but for the way the story develops. While I picked two games that are fifteen years apart to give a clear idea of the concept, the difference still applies within shorter time frames. In fact, The Burning Crusade almost seems to belong to a different generation than the Wrath of the Lich King.

They're different, and you favour WotLK while, for instance, I favour BC also for its approch to the narrative part of the game. I won't spend many words for reminding you that, while Storm Peaks was an extremely nice area, the whole of Ulduar was not only completely out of place in WotLK storyline, but was also quite a gross adaption from German mythologies. Then, for developing the Lich King storyline, what else did they do? Let's see: they recycled a level 60 dungeon while dumbing it down so much that it was embarassing; they gave us a horrible patch and raid dungeon such a ToC / ToGC; finally, they had ICC out for _one year_. Wow, so much for a good story.

Beside, as a whole I prefer the complexity and the unresolved plot twists such as in the BC, with its many villains. Focusing on one bad guy, maybe shoving it up your face for the whole expansion is... childish. Like the first trip in Hyjal at the beginning of Cataclysm: hey, let's show Ragnaros and Deathwing right away so people don't get confused.
    Trying to develop a story like they did in the WotLK only ends with highlighting its shortcomings.

I love games with story that isn't outright shown.
    BC wasn't a subtle approach, it was a bad approach.

There was no complexity in having many villains, every single one of them was just consolidating power from a source, Fel Orcs? Pit Lord. Naga? Water. Blood elves? Raw mana. Everyone in Outland was moving independent of Illidan except the Fel orcs, and even they were still largely doing their own thing.

There is nothing complex or well done about the largest character of an expansion sitting on top of a temple staring at a skull for months until people walk up to and attack him. Even when people break into Black Temple and start cutting down his force, he does absolutely nothing.

You're talking about games that have a subtle approach to storytelling, but with Illidan there just wasn't any storytelling. I didn't prefer Wrath story telling at all, I disliked it and much prefer Pandaria. But Arthas actually having a story and mattering in the expansion, even if it was childish, was a hell of a lot better than Illidan's role in BC.... It didn't even have to be Illidan. You could have replaced Illidan with a generic Fel Orc ruler, or with Akama, and had the exact same expansion all the way up until the couple warden chests and final fight in BT.

His only role in BC was being there at the top and saying "Get power and take over Outland".
    It was a complete disgrace to the character.

I also have no idea why you brought up things like Naxx difficulty and ToC in a discussion about the role of characters in an expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan is dead and should stay dead.
    Technically Illidan is a Demon & can't truly die

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    It can very well be that Kil'jaeden finds his corpse and revives him in undeath, mutilating his body.
    But in my opinion, the return of a main character is slowly becoming a cliché in both the Warcraft universe and many other stories, he should stay dead in my opinion. People die once and never come back, that's why it's called death.
    Please list all theses main characters that are coming back, Because I can't think of any, So if it's anywhere near becoming a cliché there must be at least 5 you can name easily?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Please list all theses main characters that are coming back, Because I can't think of any, So if it's anywhere near becoming a cliché there must be at least 5 you can name easily?
    As in resurrected right? since there are plenty of warcraft characters that came back after hiding in the wilds or setting back.
    These are all listed on the Major Character page of WoWpedia:
    Vincent Godfrey
    Sylvanas Windrunner
    Dranosh Saurfang
    Kel'thuzad
    Medivh
    Ner'zhul
    Nefarian
    Onyxia
    Cenarius

One could count in other such as Kael'thas and Teron Gorefiend..

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan is dead and should stay dead.
    I second this strongly.
    They didn't gave him enough room, he died without being too epic, the end. They should've managed it better. No point in going back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syar View Post
    We could do zombie Illidan expansion. You know zombie Black Temple ,Kael ressurected (again), zombie SSC. And since we are bringning up awesome expansion ideas , what about a crossover between Dora the explorer and the Warcraft universe?
    Take my money. Take all of it.

Metzen clearly needs to hire you

I love games with story that isn't outright shown.
    BC wasn't a subtle approach, it was a bad approach.

There was no complexity in having many villains, every single one of them was just consolidating power from a source, Fel Orcs? Pit Lord. Naga? Water. Blood elves? Raw mana. Everyone in Outland was moving independent of Illidan except the Fel orcs, and even they were still largely doing their own thing.

There is nothing complex or well done about the largest character of an expansion sitting on top of a temple staring at a skull for months until people walk up to and attack him. Even when people break into Black Temple and start cutting down his force, he does absolutely nothing.
    I'll grant you that 'complexity' was a poor choice of words, for the BC is not complex in the same way as, say... I don't know, whatever complex story you may be familiar with and that wasn't written by some nerds copying Warhammer and D&D. But yes, I liked that Illidan was not the master mind behind every single leaf that moved in Outland.
    And yes, he was just standing in Black Temple like everyone else was just standing: we didn't have phasing, and a lot of quests were more like 'kill 10 tigers, now kill 10 bigger tigers, now kill 10 huge tigers, now kill the queen of 'em all tigers'. Exactly, a different concept of game.
    And I agree that WoW progressed a lot on this regard, but as such I don't mind that BC didn't focus as much on Illidan as WotLK on Arthas. Besides, the title itself wasn't about Illidan: The Burning Crusade. For the rest, for we had to kill so many different sizes of tigers, it was indeed a different concept, and we had better quest lines in WotLK (although I admit I don't like the opposite exaggeration either, I like WoW to be a bit 'open-world' as well).

I also have no idea why you brought up things like Naxx difficulty and ToC in a discussion about the role of characters in an expansion.
    I was aware that those references were ambiguous, but look, I didn't wanna bring them up because of game mechanics, although I mentioned the low difficulty level of Naxx. I only intended to refer to the narrative aspect of the issue. As a matter of fact, the Lich King was kept as the main focus through: a recycled Naxxramas (I may say a recycled tier of raids, as much as I liked both Sartharion 3D and Malygos); a poor content patch with a daily quest hub that you may like or not (I didn't), and with a raid dungeon that is regarded as possibly the worst in the history of WoW, not just because of the fight mechanics; a one-year long ICC release that bore people to death. All of the above are issues concerned with storytelling, not with game mechanics. Significantly, however, the best dungeon of WotLK (perhaps among the best ones of WoW), Ulduar, was the only one slightly unconcerned with the Lich King (aside from one-boss raid dungeons).

So, in the end, I don't mind that Illidan was reclusive: 1. it's fine with him being not the sole focus of the expansion; 2. I don't consider WotLK storytelling appealing as a concept nor successful in the outcomes.
    Last edited by Memory; 2013-10-06 at 03:52 PM.

Great idea for an expansion. Every boss killed thus far as an undead raid boss with Hogger as the primary villain.

To all the people who don't already know, he is coming back. From metzen at blizzcon (twice I think), warlock green fire questline we got more info on Illidan (all that magic/well esque stuff in BT, Illidan's demons are still around and when mentioned Illidan was gone (supposedly) all he does is shrug, etc.) from the character bio where he's classified as a demon, from the recent metzen tweet where he said WoE wasn't it and he/a part of him is still out there somewhere. With the BL eventually coming, along with Alleria and Turalyon next expac, it makes sense. Not to mention the multiple times the game has hinted at DHs, the ghost in Darkshore, the blasted lands one coming back, the one in felwood saying we misunderstood Illidan and he wasn't as bad as we first thought, etc.

Sorry, but many have and do want him back, he is coming back. Besides, I wonder if Wrathion would go to him if he knew where he was, as he'd be a great help to fight the legion when they come soon.