Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Looking to lose weight, would like some solid tips.

So it's come to the point where i'm pretty tired of looking at myself in the mirror. I'm 24 years old, 5'7 (Male, that's not that tall for my gender.) and bordering 284 lbs. I'm looking to drop down to about 200, maybe 210. I know to lose that amount of weight it will take a lot of dedication to make it happen, but at this point all i think i'm missing is honest encouragement. For my current eating habits, i eat pretty terrible ( I.E Bacon cheese burgers, most fried foods, lots of take out in general and more pop then someone should drink(looking at 2-3 glasses a day if that) ) So i know my main thing i need to cut is the pop, another thing is i pretty much spent 3 years after high school doing nothing, just sitting on my ass and it did nothing good for me. So i know i need to ditch the pop intake, and be more active. I got my first job at the beginning of the year, so it pretty much took me out of my computer chair at home into another chair at work where i sit there and repair watches. I think i'm ranting at this point, you people don't need my life story lol

Anyways, what i'm looking for tip wise would be:

What foods would be good to eat to boost my metabolism, that aren't too fattening etc?

Is there some sort of exercise i can do from home that would help me lose the kegger i'm rocking atm?

What else would someone who also went through this suggest?

Any advice is welcome, i expect a couple trolls to come here but ill just ignore them.

Thanks all

Stop eating fatty shit all day like bacon

Stop drinking soft drinks, why people drink anything other than water is mind blowing

Do some exercise if you feel like it

Then the weight will fall off, it really is that simple
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Because I am a sucker for helping those that want to better themselves I will help you out, free of charge. Starting tomorrow, make a food diary of everything you eat and drink for a week, be sure to include portion sizes. Do not change your diet just yet, carry on eating as normal and we can see what needs to change, small baby steps work better for health and fitness than giant steps. When the week is over, PM me the list and I will help you out with it.

Yea; lessening on sugary drinks is one thing.
    Another thing is: Cooking your own food. Seriously. There's nothing wrong with bacon, cheese and other fatty things... The problem is with the fact that most take-outs don't serve them in proper amounts, and there's all sorts of things in there you don't need. Like tons of salt and sugar.
    Otherwise, I can't really give you the tips you need; I have no experience with your situation. Sorry.

But yeah; try cooking. It might help.

More Veggies! Fruit anytime between waking up and noon or else it turns to sugar after. A good substitute for french fries would be roasted turnips they are surprisingly good, as for burgers maybe a mushroom burger would do you good. If you like rice replace it with quinoa, farro, or amarynth they are all like rice except more protein. Cooking at home is better because you know what's going in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chicken. Grill it. Eat it. Tastes good, and for me by far the most filling thing you can eat per calorie. A pound of properly spiced and grilled chicken is only about 450 calories.

Make the soda diet, cut out the cheese, cut out the bacon, chicken instead of beef, grilled instead of fried, and you'd probably be below 200 in a year.

Just doing the soda alone will make a huge difference. 2-3 glasses a day, which I am guessing are 16oz+ is about what 500-600 calories, or 3500-4200 a week, you cut that out and you should drop a pound a week.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    So it's come to the point where i'm pretty tired of looking at myself in the mirror. I'm 24 years old, 5'7 (Male, that's not that tall for my gender.) and bordering 284 lbs. I'm looking to drop down to about 200, maybe 210. I know to lose that amount of weight it will take a lot of dedication to make it happen, but at this point all i think i'm missing is honest encouragement. For my current eating habits, i eat pretty terrible ( I.E Bacon cheese burgers, most fried foods, lots of take out in general and more pop then someone should drink(looking at 2-3 glasses a day if that) ) So i know my main thing i need to cut is the pop, another thing is i pretty much spent 3 years after high school doing nothing, just sitting on my ass and it did nothing good for me. So i know i need to ditch the pop intake, and be more active. I got my first job at the beginning of the year, so it pretty much took me out of my computer chair at home into another chair at work where i sit there and repair watches. I think i'm ranting at this point, you people don't need my life story lol

Anyways, what i'm looking for tip wise would be:

What foods would be good to eat to boost my metabolism, that aren't too fattening etc?

Is there some sort of exercise i can do from home that would help me lose the kegger i'm rocking atm?

What else would someone who also went through this suggest?

Any advice is welcome, i expect a couple trolls to come here but ill just ignore them.

Thanks all
    The two best things you could ever do:
    1. Stop eating anything with sugar and excessive, bad fat in it, no candy, no soda, no cookies, no shitty meat like hamburgers, no deepfried food, no beer and other alcoholic beverages. That alone will make you lose weight.
    2. Do any type of exercise. Just walk for 5 minutes every day, anything. You don't need to run 30 minutes ever day. Activate yourself in whatever way you wish, as long as it's more exercise than you've done before, you will lose weight from doing it.

Do those 2 things together, and I guarantee you that you will lose weight. The better you do both of them, the faster you'll be able to lose weight.
    Though I strongly recommend AGAINST going too hard right off the bat. Start easy. As you get more comfortable with it you can increase your effort.

I personally went from 115-85 kg (goal is 75 so not quite there yet) in a matter of 2 years (slacked a lot during the first 1 and a half year and then lost the last 20 of that during half ayear). What was most important for me was going on a starvation week or two. i know this may sound weird, but to me at the time i was starving myself as i ate a lot less than i normally did (ate way too much normally) so i forced myself to get used to eating less, and more normally. It felt like i was hungry all the time during the first week or 2, and it was worst when i was doing nothing or doing something that required usage of the mind.
    But all i can say is, if you are TRUTHFULLY tired of the way your mirrorimage looks like, you cant go wrong with watching calories (find out how many you should consume to maintain weight, and how much to Loose weight. Use this as a guideline for what you consume. I realise this can be hard when eating fastfood (now why would you eat fastfood when you wanna Loose weight in the first place), but if you just generally look at the ammount of calories you consume, you can and will Loose weight rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Chicken. Grill it. Eat it. Tastes good, and for me by far the most filling thing you can eat per calorie. A pound of properly spiced and grilled chicken is only about 450 calories.

Make the soda diet, cut out the cheese, cut out the bacon, chicken instead of beef, grilled instead of fried, and you'd probably be below 200 in a year.

Just doing the soda alone will make a huge difference. 2-3 glasses a day, which I am guessing are 16oz+ is about what 500-600 calories, or 3500-4200 a week, you cut that out and you should drop a pound a week.
    Yeah i love grilled chicken, like alot lol. Only thing i struggle on drinking is pure water, idk why but the plainness of the taste i cant stand. I know there are those mixes that you can pour into the water bottle to flavor it, are any of those safe to drink just to add flavor to the water?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    Yeah i love grilled chicken, like alot lol. Only thing i struggle on drinking is pure water, idk why but the plainness of the taste i cant stand. I know there are those mixes that you can pour into the water bottle to flavor it, are any of those safe to drink just to add flavor to the water?
    Sugar free cordial won't hurt you, neither will diet soda despite the naysayers and their broscience.

Deleted
    Well it's all about burning more calories than you're eating.

2500 calories/day is RDI for a male. More if you're exercising.

Since you got fat you have obviously eaten more than you should. Let's say you have eaten 500 more/day that accumulates to 7000 in 2 weeks. Which is 1kg of fat.

If you want to lose wight you need to eat less let's say 500 less than you need. In this example 2000. That would make you lose 2kg of fat each month.

24kg/year

1kg=2,20Pounds

Your country should have a register of what different food cointains. Also often written on the packaging of the food.

A big mistake people do is trying to lose much weight during a short timeframe. Since muscle are what is mostly burning your calories the body will get rid of them in an effort to survive. That will make your daily kcal need less. Which is gonna make it harder to lose weigh it's simply put stupid since muscle are like 900kcal/kg you can lose 8kg of muscle for the same calories you lose 1kg of fat.

So you would want to be at -500kcal/day. This can easily be achieved by just eating right. Protein, carbohydrates and fat are very important to eat.

Lifting will help since it's crucial to maintaning musclemass and make your muscles not fade away. Also it burns calories. During times you are eating less calories than you need you will not build much muscle.

These are just basic things. You will need to read up a lot on serious articles if you want to understand and optimize results.
    Last edited by mmoc19a4667525; 2013-10-07 at 02:21 AM.

Yeah.. Not really looking into "lifting" I'm not the kinda guy who wants defined muscles, im the typical gamer dude..who rather have a slight pudge then a kegger. lol

Your muscles won't necessarily get defined, you'll just lose fat from the exercise.

As mentioned:
    1. Stop drinking anything but water (it's the easiest thing on the list).
    2. Stop eating bad food.
    3. Do some "light" exercise. (30 mins cardio a day is enough. Lifting some weights is a big bonus.)
    4. Start eating smaller portions.
    5. Do some "intermediate" exercise. (One hour daily cardio. Lift weights.)

Start out with that.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what i've seen from my friends, the method they used was calorie(or kilojoules) counting. there are several apps & web pages out there that can help you keep track of it and even tell you a very good estimate if what your eating doesn't have that information available.

What Noomz said was really accurate.

But uhhhh everyone will offer their own advice and only guide you. Only one thing will really work for you.

P.S. Take Rich's offer.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    why people drink anything other than water is mind blowing
    If your mind is blown by this, then you must have your mind blown by almost everything everyday.....

IFFYM: If It Fits Your Macros.

Macro Nutrients, read up on them, find a Macro calculator, set your goals in it, and you're set.

Basically, it honestly does not matter what you eat (to an extent). As long as you hit your macros for the day, you don't have to worry. HOWEVER, eating filling foods such as complex carbs to fill in those macros will curb cravings, the biggest evil towards cheating yourself on a daily basis. Also, don't forget to treat yourself once every week, which is the usual. Anyone (which basically looks like every flop in here), who tells you that sugar/fat/anything is bad for you, is a nimrod. Excessive amounts, is what kills you. Go ahead and treat yourself to a piece of cake at the end of the week, you DESERVE it, and the craving being satisfied actually is proven to keep you on track and make you feel ten times better.

Throw in weight lifting/bodyweight routine along with very basic cardio workouts and youll blast that keg away in no time.

How far away is your job? Is it within reasonable walking distance, i.e. 15 minutes or less? Simply walking everyday for 30+ minutes can do a lot. Do you own a wii or kinect? Honestly 15-20 minutes doing some of the dancing games will help.

You should create a calorie deficit. At this point, even limiting yourself to no more than 2000 calories a day will help a lot, even if you're not very active.

Try making your own food. You can continue with things like bacon and burgers, but make minor healthy changes. Turkey bacon, only 2-3 slices max per day or so. Eating eggs every morning for awhile will boost your metabolism and help you feel full in the morning. Avoid cereal unless it's plain cheerios or wheaties. When you make salads, use lighter dressings like vinaigrettes and don't overuse them. Start drinking more water. In fact, keep a water bottle (avoid using the same plastic bottle for too long as the chemicals in plastic can wear off from freezing, heating, etc.) around you. Often times when you feel "hungry", you're simply thirsty. If you're not much of a plain water person, try using flavorings (only 10 or less calories per packet per average-sized bottle) or try tea. Brew tea either on a stove or in a coffee machine. Minimal calories, but the flavoring may make it bearable. There's also a slew of flavored carbonated waters in grocery stores, which have no calories. Pop, beer, wine, liquor, etc. are very unnecessary and honestly should be avoided as far as I'm concerned. Another thing you may try is splitting large meals into series of smaller ones. A decent breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast, with a low-calorie sandwich or salad for brunch, some fruit or veggies for a late lunch, a low-calorie snack, for dinner some fish like tilapia or even canned tuna with some lemon juice or grilled chicken with light seasoning (I don't recommend sauces or dips in addition), and perhaps an evening snack of more veggies or fruit.

One important thing might be to keep a journal. Make over-estimates of the calories you consume if you don't know the exact number. Record reasonable amounts of exercise (walking to and from work, jogs, etc., not simply walking around in work or at home) and how long you spent doing these.

Don't worry about building muscle (if you intend to) at this point. Once you've gotten a reasonable diet established, your overall weight lowered, and your metabolism boosted, then you can worry about that.

These are all very, very simple things that can be done that take, in all honesty, minimal effort. Don't be afraid to "reward" yourself occasionally by getting a scoop of ice cream or a piece of pie/cake, but remember not to over indulge.

One thing to also remember with a calories deficit is that you need to make sure you're not consuming so few calories that your metabolism slows down as that can be very detrimental to your overall health and weight loss, not to mention demoralizing. 1200 calories is the absolute minimum recommended by most physicians and websites, but if you feel like you haven't consumed enough for whatever reason, don't just drink a 2 liter of pop or eat 10 twinkies, find something reasonably healthy.

Honestly everything I've mentioned is what I did this summer to shed 50 pounds without actually exercising all that much. Walk to work, walk back home, take the dog for an hour or so walk, eat a decent breakfast, and eat some veggies, fruits, and nuts periodically throughout the day. Just make sure you're keeping a calorie deficit of no more than 2000 and no less than 1200 while maintaining a decent diet for metabolism and overall health's sake. And try not to stress too much about it as that may compel you to eat far too little or far too much. Good luck!
    Last edited by Redlokyldoreifanggore; 2013-10-07 at 02:35 AM.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryttge View Post
    2500 calories/day is RDI for a male. More if you're exercising.
    2500 calories/day is for an active male, if you don't plan on doing any exercise then its recommended to have about 2000-2100, but that all changes slightly depending on your current height/weight

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat less and exercise more. That is all there is to it.

FYI. I am 185cm and 70kg (154lbs and 6"1 for you people stuck in the past). I am almost half your weight and a lot taller. So you have a long way to go.

Might as well start today. Eat less. Drink more water and WALK for starters. Walk for 5 mins at the start if that is all you can do. Then 10 the next day. Within a few weeks of even less then 30mins each day you will start and feel better about doing it. After a few weeks make sure you get atleast 30min walk in every day. Start running up hills. Force yourself to walk to far so that you get tired but have no choice but to walk back.

It is never going to happen if you don't put your mind to it.

And no drinking carbonated water isn't your main problem. It is the food. Switch bacon with an Apple. Not to mention an apple tastes a lot better then bacon. Switch fatty foods with a salad. It is easy if you put your mind to it.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-10-07 at 02:36 AM.
    Aye mate