Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have this thing about when I play video games, every time I hit a loading screen, rather then just sitting there for however many second, I get up and start doing push-ups, sit-ups, air squats, and/or jumping jacks. It's an easy habit, and it goes a long way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skrumpcious View Post
    I have this thing about when I play video games, every time I hit a loading screen, rather then just sitting there for however many second, I get up and start doing push-ups, sit-ups, air squats, and/or jumping jacks. It's an easy habit, and it goes a long way.
    You must have a very slow PC or internet connection.

I mainly play League of Legends, so it doesn't really matter how good my PC or internet is, currently I have my 4 year old laptop whilst on my deployment, so it's a lot easier to do it with any game.

Regardless, it's a solid exercise that you don't only have to do with the load screen, that's just how I do it. One can easily do it while watching T.V. during the commercial break, or while waiting for someone in your raid or group. The added benefit is that it gets (at least me) pumped up for the coming game/instance.

Just a few things that have been working for me:

First, buy an accurate, high quality scale. You can get something decent for around $25-$30, here is a good example. Weigh yourself once a week, the biggest mental boost for me has been measuring my success, no matter how gradual. Gives me the willpower to say no.

Start small. Trying to radically overhaul your diet AND starting to exercise might be trying to accomplish more than you'll realistically be able to do. You're trying to break years of bad habits, it's not going to happen overnight. Just find something you can cut from your diet(soda is a great idea) and work your way up from there. You might be surprised how much even small changes can impact you over the course of a few weeks.

Go look up the amount of calories you're actually consuming when you eat a bacon cheeseburger meal. Add it all up, fries, drink, all of it. Chances are you've been unconsciously underestimating the sheer amount of food that you're consuming - don't feel too bad, we all rationalize the hell out of our decisions.

Find good replacement meals, and don't keep garbage food around the house(chips, icecream, etc). You will eat it, always. I grill a lot of chicken now, and eat a lot of wraps. They're surprisingly good, and I don't feel the need to fill my facehole with grease so much anymore.

I completely know where you're coming from, man. I'm 28, and I never really thought I could scrape together the willpower to get into shape, but I've lost over 40 lbs in the last five months(333-290). All my clothes are loose, I'm fitting into things I haven't worn in years. You absolutely can do this. Good luck!

Edit: I can't emphasize enough how important it is to set realistic goals. Maybe you're one of those people who can jump straight into counting calories and keeping a food journal, but I couldn't have possibly cared less about any of that shit when I started. Find something that you know you can stick with - you can have a perfect well organized plan and it'll be completely useless if you chuck it out of frustration after a few weeks.
    Last edited by tjanson; 2013-10-07 at 02:56 AM.

Yeah i got a pretty nice scale recently, i see it in alot of health videos so it must be a good one..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    Yeah i got a pretty nice scale recently, i see it in alot of health videos so it must be a good one..
    Heres a tip, only weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. If I weigh myself in the morning then again in the evening, I can easily add 5-6lbs.

I'll give you some tips. I've been working hard at my weight for the past few months as well. Check the link in my signature to see my progress, but here are some basics. It really is pretty simple, and the major reason people get burnt out from the weight loss process is that they overdo it. So here we go:

- Eat less. No, seriously. Make sure you're getting a solid calorie deficit. Record your calories you consume on a normal day for several days, so you can get a decent sense of the calories you consume. Then simply reduce it. How much you reduce it is based on your willpower and physical needs. Some people might find they just can't function if they reduce their calories to a point which someone else might have. If you exercise, don't go below 1,200 calories. If you don't, you can get away with around 1,000. These are on the low ends, and a lot of people advise not going below 1,500, but not everyone's body is the same, and not everyone needs the same requirements each day.

- Exercise is fine, but don't over do it. In the grand scheme of things, it's a LOT easier to lose weight through diet than exercise. A vast majority of your weight loss will come from your diet. It's much easier to simply not eat that 200 calories each day, than it would be to do a workout to burn 200 calories each day.

- Drink lots of water, and avoid any and all liquid calories. If you want to treat yourself to a soda every now and then, then sure. But those liquid calories can and will add up to insanely high amounts of calories over time. Best to (mostly) eliminate them from your diet.

- Don't overdo the carbs. You don't need to eliminate them entirely from your diet, but you don't need a lot of them. Limit your breads, pastas, etc... Once again, treat yourself every now and then if you want to. Your body converts carbohydrates into glucose, and glucose is your body's primary energy source. The less glucose you give your body to use for fuel, the more fat your body will use instead.

- Try to eliminate all empty calories, or "junk food." Things like cookies, cakes, chips, etc... have absolutely no nutritional value.

- Protein should make up the bulk of your calories. Eat plenty of vegetables as well. Fruit's got wonderful nutrients in it, but also carbs (albeit, better carbs). It can be easy to over do it on the fruits as well, so just be conscious of it.

- Weigh yourself regularly to keep yourself accountable.

- Let people who are close to you know of your endeavor so they can hold you accountable as well (which is why I have my weight loss progress in my signature).

- If you don't do well on your diet for a week or so, don't give up. Just get back on it. Yeah, you might have set yourself back a bit, but just keep moving forward.

- If you reach a "plateau," it's best to try and just keep doing what your doing. Consistency can generally overcome a plateau in time.

- Lastly, don't think of your diet as a "diet." Try to change your lifestyle so you can maintain your weight loss once you reach your goal.

- Also, if you DO work out, DON'T LEAVE OUT WEIGHT LIFTING. Seriously. Don't.

- Try to give yourself tangible motivation. I'm slowly building a wardrobe of very nice clothes to wear once I reach a healthy weight. Spending money on these items, and them being physically in my possession boosts my motivation. It helps for me. Find something to boost your motivation.

- There are tons of supplements and weight loss pills that work, but the amount that they add to your weight loss progress along with a healthy lifestyle is pretty damn small, and unless you have plenty of extra money to spare, not generally worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I recently bought a gym membership... Not only does it give me access to working out on a scheduled time BUT, it also guilts me into eating healthy, I mean, if I eat shit then Iv completely wasted my money...Pretty good motivation.

Oh, and ALWAYS weigh yourself around the same time every day that you weigh to maintain accurate results.
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Sugar free cordial won't hurt you, neither will diet soda despite the naysayers and their broscience.
    Hmm I believe you. But isn't the primary reason they say diet soda is bad for you is because it increases cravings and thus the likelihood that you will cheat on a meal plan?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Hmm I believe you. But isn't the primary reason they say diet soda is bad for you is because it increases cravings and thus the likelihood that you will cheat on a meal plan?
    Nothing a little willpower won't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Nothing a little willpower won't fix.
    Frankly for me that's the hardest part about maintaining. I'm a sucker for food if it looks good, smells good and tastes good I want more of it.

Sadly this means more running for me //

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Yes, plus a lot of artificial sweeteners can do some fairly unsavory things to your body. The cleaner you eat, the better you'll be off. But as far as the cravings, RICH is right, if you have the willpower, you can overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Yes, plus a lot of artificial sweeteners can do some fairly unsavory things to your body. The cleaner you eat, the better you'll be off. But as far as the cravings, RICH is right, if you have the willpower, you can overcome it.
    I don't QQ, I actually have to plan my day around avoiding places with the delicious sents and tastes that are oh so bad for you /

10+ Year Old Account
    Well while I'm not to sure how big you are in terms of pounds (we use kg) I've been doing the same late. I've had weight loss explained to me as this: reduce intake, increase output.

Some effecttive ways of increasing metabolism I've heard of are going to the gym in the morning and doing strength/hypertrophy training. This also used carbohydrates to rebuild the muscle fibres apparently. Also eating less, but often increases metabolism. The theory behind this is that long periods without food cause the body to think it's starving, so it starts storing fat. By avoiding this starvation you have fat to burn.

For aerobic exercise you want long and slow. And I mean slow, like a hear rate of 50-60% of your max (max = 220-age). This is because at a lower heart rate there is less of a need for quick energy so fat is the preferred energy source. Coffee before aerobic exercise also apparently promotes fat loss.

Eating/drinking something to decrease appetite also will help. However I think the most important thing is to bite the bullet and to say no. For me, I cut out all potatoes, buns, cakes, sweets, less milk (so v.little milk in my coffee) and the likes. As far as meat goes, the size of the palm of your hand and the thickness of the palm of your hand. Yes, it's going to be less lol but it's worth it.

The thing that helped me the most is having a cause to lose weight. Is it a girl/guy, competition, personal? Motivation will help heaps : )

Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking from experience.

Stop making excuses, get off your ass, do as much cardio as possible, start looking at food as calories instead of 'fun time'. View food as a means to stay alive, don't make an 'event' out of eating. Spread out your meals into small snack sized meals about 6 times a day to keep your metabolism active, they need to be balanced. We're talking about something like one piece of plain baked chicken as one of those meals to give you an idea, you shouldn't need a multivitamin if you're actually going to pay attention to what you eat and attempt to have it balanced. Research the combinations of what you should eat online.

Don't drink anything that contains calories, period. Drink water, nothing but water, lots of it, as you should be sweating quite a bit.

You should lift weights about once a week also.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Something I started doing recently was juicing. I dont have time to work out due to my jobs hours but laying off fast food, soda, artificial flavored juices, and eating wheat rice, chicken, fish (avoiding red meats where possible) I have lost 12 pounds in 1 month. If I do have to drink a soda, juices, etc. I do half water and other half drink. For breakfast I make myself shakes that consists of spinach, berries, 1 banana, half an apple, celery, and 1 teaspoon of whey protein. It may not seem appetizing but if you mix it with some ice, it isnt so bad.

Eating is the toughest part. What sucks is your body wants you to eat bad food. It gives you reward signals for eating fatty foods and sugar and such.

That being said, it's something that you just have to strap in and focus on. Before you make your food, tell yourself you are going to eat 75% of it and throw the rest away. You really have to focus on this and when you're eating just say alright, that's it I'm done and toss the rest. You have to be aware of this and really focus on the signals your body gives you.

Another thing is to concentrate on eating more slowly. If you scarf your food down, your body doesn't have time to send signals to your brain that you're full.

I don't know what healthy food you can eat (most people who eat unhealthy have bad habits with vegetables/fruit/etc), so hopefully this stuff is general enough. One thing you shouldn't do is cut out everything unhealthy. That's the ticket to burnout town. Just tell yourself you are eating healthy every day except you are going out one night a week or something. You have to allow yourself that. Otherwise it's just a short term diet.

You have to make lasting changes that you can actually keep up with, not short term binge diets. Those are worthless if you really want to be healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat healthy, eat LESS. You don't even have to excercise.

OP, do you cook your own food or eat out?

If eating out: take that side of vegetables instead of the fries. Then learn that 4 oz. is about the portion of meat you need as a serving. Since most restaurants give far more than that, also learn to only eat about half of what you're given. Take the rest home. Second meal, free.

If cooking for yourself: I have lots of tips I could get into, depending on what kinds of foods you like.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.