Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I have been playing since shortly after the launch of BC and I have always used the stock UI with very few keybinds. I only keybind what I feel are essential abilities such as finishing moves, PvP abilities, and "oh shit" buttons.

I was a clicker only back in Vanilla and started using my fingers on a few keys during Wrath. I still play a weird click, keybind, and mouse bind play style. I have a Razar Death Adder (has two buttons on the side of it) and I bind them to 1 and 3 and then I can move and finger click 2, 4, and 5 lol. I click everything else with the mouse. I'm not a pro but do pretty well considering.

Oh and I have always just used the stock UI. I tried out some fancy UI in BWL and hated it. The base UI tells me everything I need to know. I have seen some cool UI stuff in some videos but I can never get my stuff to look like that so I just play as is.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'm a hybrid hotkey/clicker. Really, it just depends on what I'm doing. If I'm healing, I have one hand hovering around the WASD keys and the others around the 8-= keys, ready to hit my mouse for something that isn't close to those. If I'm tanking, its typically the 1-5 keys with my hand on the mouse for movement and clicking additional buttons.

And I do play the typical UI and don't run into any major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I know in the Method videos released lately the PoV is from a Hunter that seems to use mostly the default UI with what appears to be BigWigs, MSBT, Gnosis and some kind of DoT tracking addon, so it's certainly possible to play at a high level with almost the standard UI.

It may "appear" to be the default UI but he is guaranteed to NOT be clicking. Not in that guild.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Why over-complicate your life with remembering which key does what?

I've always clicked and I've been relatively successful (when I played).
    Because as a clicker, you're remembering (and committing to muscle memory) where your abilities are on your bars. You instinctively go there and do well with them because you've remembered where they are and can get there quickly.

Keybinding is the same thing, except there's no mouse travel time leading to possible mistakes, and you free up your mouse to switch targets and turn effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    It may "appear" to be the default UI but he is guaranteed to NOT be clicking. Not in that guild.
    Well yeah, I didn't expect him to be clicking, just was talking about the UI.

Ive got my Keybinds as:

1-=(& Grave)
    Alt 1-5
    Shift 1-3
    F1-F4
    Ctrl 1-4

The only things I click are Pots and AotD

Any changes you make will take getting used to, it's all about muscle memory. Avoiding the travel time of a mouse (especially on oh shit buttons you rarely use) could mean the difference between living or dying, wiping or downing.

At this point, I don't even have to think about what I'm doing key-wise, because everything is ingrained in my muscle memory, so I can focus on what's going on in the fight, and the keyboard is just an extension of my brain at this point.
    Last edited by Louis CK; 2013-10-07 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Because as a clicker, you're remembering (and committing to muscle memory) where your abilities are on your bars. You instinctively go there and do well with them because you've remembered where they are and can get there quickly.

Keybinding is the same thing, except there's no mouse travel time leading to possible mistakes, and you free up your mouse to switch targets and turn effectively.

a lot of clickers make the excuse that "it is too hard to learn to keybind".

it is as simple as setting up bartender so that your keys are mirrored on the screen.

while you are learning you make bartender easily view able and leave it there as a safety net to click on.

once you have it down you make bartender smaller and only use as a guide now and again when you are making changes.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    a lot of clickers make the excuse that "it is too hard to learn to keybind".

it is as simple as setting up bartender so that your keys are mirrored on the screen.

while you are learning you make bartender easily view able and leave it there as a safety net to click on.

once you have it down you make bartender smaller and only use as a guide now and again when you are making changes.
    Yea, that's exactly what I did when I learned to keybind. I keybound a few abilities at a time, and once I was comfortable with those abilities I bound more. Rinse and repeat. Now I have everything fully bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Yea, that's exactly what I did when I learned to keybind. I keybound a few abilities at a time, and once I was comfortable with those abilities I bound more. Rinse and repeat. Now I have everything fully bound.
    That's a good way to do it. Doing everything at once (when you first start) will usually cause someone to get overwhelmed and just give up.

I know I've changed my keybinds a few times to find the optimal setup, and when I enter 5mans or something to try it out and get my muscle memory, I DPS like a retard humping a doorknob for a bit lol, just pressing all the wrong buttons and shit.

But it just takes practice, getting used to it.

Regardless of the performance issues involved with clicking everything, the quality of life is just better when everything is keybound. Your character becomes more of an extension of you since you don't have to think about where your mouse is, where the keys are, what the next key will be, etc. You just react and your fingers work their magic.

Just a better quality of life ingame with everything keyboud, imo

Deleted
    I don't click, all my spells are bound, but I use the standard Blizzard ui. Why? Because Mages don't have any raid utility at all and putting Slow Fall on people in the raid is generally not needed.

http://i.imgur.com/hIhsp2K.jpg

This is my UI (Weakaura not visible out of combat) and I've ranked #15 on some fights for fire mages on some fights even though my gear wasn't anything special (I even have a Timeless piece).

I don't see how playing with a close to standard ui will hinder you from being one of the best. Granted, I'm not a clicker, but I only use Xperl and Sexymap to alter my UI.

(Print taken with my Monk alt since I'm too lazy to relog)
    Last edited by mmoce8f8bee469; 2013-10-07 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Posted a link instead of the pic itself.

I clicked from launch until the end of WoTLK. Bought a G13 on a whim, and everything changed for the better.
    Took some time to adjust, but now, gaming is a lot more enjoyable for me. I'm curious about the mechanical game
    pad from Razer. Love my G13.

UI. I juggle back and forth between the default and elvui. Leveling a Monk currently at 70, and I still use the default UI.
    Raid with elvui though.
    Last edited by Drobu; 2013-10-07 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    I don't click, all my spells are bound, but I use the standard Blizzard ui. Why? Because Mages don't have any raid utility at all and putting Slow Fall on people in the raid is generally not needed.

http://i.imgur.com/hIhsp2K.jpg

This is my UI (Weakaura not visible out of combat) and I've ranked #15 on some fights for fire mages on some fights even though my gear wasn't anything special (I even have a Timeless piece).

I don't see how playing with a close to standard ui will hinder you from being one of the best. Granted, I'm not a clicker, but I only use Xperl and Sexymap to alter my UI.

(Print taken with my Monk alt since I'm too lazy to relog)
    Oh, God, Xperl! I remember those days haha.

Have you checked out ElvUI? Much cleaner, more minimilastic, nicer UI IMO. To each his own, but it's worth checking out.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Notice the word 'relatively'
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Deleted

It is muscle memory. I haven't played WoW in a year. Give me an empty screen with all my spells keybinded and I'l be able to play perfectly within 10 mins. And 9 mins of those would be getting used to moving around again with my mouse.

Now is the perfect time to learn/expand your keybind kit. Everyone is Timeless geared, so there isn't really a threat of fucking up horribly in a dungeon. So, as others have said, start off basic (1-6, F1-F6) and then once that is down, add in shift + all, and then Alt + all etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't click, but use default ui, with dbm and tellmewhen
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

I used to ( i left WoW few months ago ) play in decent raiding guild ( all bosses world top 300, best result world 86th ) and i was a 100% clicker. Still, I was considered one of the more skilled player in our raid team. ( also, standard blizzrad UI ).

So all your arguments are invalid

15+ Year Old Account
    The standard UI with things like DBM etc will work just fine as you can still hot key with the standard UI. However clicking is less efficient than using hotkeys (see using a keyboard to type > clicking letters with yoru mouse to type).

I myself canno't use the standard UI or click as for me the way I have my UI is a QOL issue and I prefer all information in the center of my screen and all abilities hidden from view so my ADD can't take over and bring my attention to where it should not be (EX: looking at heroic leap CD tickgin away while standing in fire).

Standard UI and clicking can it be done? I'm sure it has , is and will be done but it's less optimal than whats available!

Is that really your response? Remembering keys is over-complicating your life?

Sorry, but that's so far off from reality that I doubt anyone took your post seriously.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu