Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    *raises hand*

Been a clicker since the start, and once I learned how to play my class it was never a problem. Sure, i may do 3 or 5% less dps than the people who don't click, but that's my playstyle and that's how I like to play.
    I used to click in BC and when went to keybinds, it was like trying to learn a different language. But I stuck with it and I can't imagine going back. It makes things soooo much easier.

The stock UI is perfectly fine when it comes to binding keys. Other things like buff/debuff timers could obviously use an add-on to make it more centralized but you don't need to see most of your abilities anyway so where the default UI puts your buttons is fine.

Yes, everyone should stop clicking. Clicking is not so much about pressing your buttons faster, it's mostly about freeing up your mouse for movement which is infinitely more accurate, specific and responsive than your keys. There is simply no competition. Yes, if you've played the game for a while and got used to clicking you might perform slightly worse the first few days, but any decent gamer should get keybinds down in less than a week and never look back. I managed to get my girlfriend into WoW less than a year ago, she stopped after 2 months or so but when she started I told her to keybind and she did fine. She pretty much played no games at all which required any form of quick response, she pretty much played some puzzle games and that's it. If she can do it, a person who's been playing WoW for years has absolutely no excuse to keep clicking.

If you click, you choose to be bad. It's that simple. It's just as stupid as not doing your sockets and enchants properly, or doing an improper rotation for example (actually, it's way more stupid than that). Keybinding is basic stuff people.

It is an arrogant assumption that a clicker is "handicapping" themselves.
    Let someone use the method which gives them the best performance they can manage.
    Some people don't have the dexterity to keybind well.

Yes keybinding offers a potential higher skill cap, but a higher potential does not instantly translate into better results when you are not at the high end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    The stock UI is perfectly fine when it comes to binding keys. Other things like buff/debuff timers could obviously use an add-on to make it more centralized but you don't need to see most of your abilities anyway so where the default UI puts your buttons is fine.

Yes, everyone should stop clicking. Clicking is not so much about pressing your buttons faster, it's mostly about freeing up your mouse for movement which is infinitely more accurate, specific and responsive than your keys. There is simply no competition. Yes, if you've played the game for a while and got used to clicking you might perform slightly worse the first few days, but any decent gamer should get keybinds down in less than a week and never look back. I managed to get my girlfriend into WoW less than a year ago, she stopped after 2 months or so but when she started I told her to keybind and she did fine. She pretty much played no games at all which required any form of quick response, she pretty much played some puzzle games and that's it. If she can do it, a person who's been playing WoW for years has absolutely no excuse to keep clicking.

If you click, you choose to be bad. It's that simple. It's just as stupid as not doing your sockets and enchants properly, or doing an improper rotation for example (actually, it's way more stupid than that). Keybinding is basic stuff people.
    Keybinding your rotations may be a no-brainer. But what happens when you NEED to use a spell that you rarely ever use, is situational, and you may have keybound it back when you did your keybinds some 8+ months ago?

"Quick Mr. Warlock! We need you to use your Enslave Demon spell!"
    ehm.. which key was that.. was it.. M? Oops summoned a Doomguard.

With clicking, memorize the picture of a button and you'll never have a mistake such as that, and being a priest healer where I often have to use Guardian Spirit, Leap of Faith or Void Shift stuff like that will ruin the raid if you use the wrong one.

I'm trying not to sound prejudiced or anything but I can't really understand why people choose to click, I've used one keybind setup or another in every game I've ever played. I don't get super complicated with keybinds but I just can't imagine playing any kind of 3D game with just the mouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Honestly each play-style is fine as long as you are able to maneuver without dying while using your abilities within your GCD. If you can click abilities and move while changing targets within 1-1.5 seconds then you will be just fine. I won't disagree that key binding can be more efficient, but as said previously in the thread for some people it is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm trying not to sound prejudiced or anything but I can't really understand why people choose to click, I've used one keybind setup or another in every game I've ever played. I don't get super complicated with keybinds but I just can't imagine playing any kind of 3D game with just the mouse.
    I tend to think of it as playing any other game on the computer:

FPS: Mouse is for targeting/shooting/aiming, keyboard is for movement, jumping, specials (grenades etc), crouching, prone-ing, score checking, etc etc etc.

RTS: Mouse is for unit selection, unit targeting and world interaction, and while it can be used for unit production and such, it is FAR superior to memorise the binds for unit production and simply use the mouse as a world pointer.

You then extend this to WoW, where you leave the mouse free to interact with the world and for aiming/targeting, and your keyboard handles the rest. Clicking abilities regularly adds extra work to a device which is not usually used in such a way in other games.

I actually use my computer in general in a similar way as well, I click as little as possible and bind as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    The amount of people who seriously use like 10 keybinds or less in this thread astounds me. You don't even have to be "HARDCORE ELITIST BR0SEPH LEL" to keybind every spell you have. >_>
    Not possible. Combination key presses are completely beyond my abilities. I can only type with 2 fingers and I have to look at the keyboard even then to keep from missing the correct key. My keybinds are on X,C,V,B,N,F, and G with Feign Death on 2 and situational macros on 1. Even then, I often wind up pressing the wrong key. Clicking on the other stuff like Glaive Toss, Bestial Wrath, Rapid Fire, Stampede, or Dire Beast sometimes results in losing the target because of clicking an open area by mistake. I also occasionally will somehow get my cursor in the chat box and be pressing keys to no avail. My basic rotation for Kill Command, Arcane Shot, and Cobra Shot is in a cast sequence macro on the C key and actually manages my focus very well without having to think about it. Kill Command also goes off almost perfectly every time too. The fact that I can play that way and still achieve DPS results within 80% of the perfect fight numbers given by femaledwarf.com and always be in the top 5 damage dealers in LFR is good enough for me. It has to be because I can't do any better.

During Vanilla and most of BC, I clicked everything. I still do not use the directional keys and do all my steering and movement with the mouse. Actually, in any kind of game, I only use the W and D keys to move and always steer with the mouse. Strafing is something I rarely even attempt.

In my computer use outside of games, the only key I use is the Windows key and only by itself with no combinations. I do not like keyboard shortcuts and don't use them.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2013-10-09 at 03:27 AM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be willing to learn how to keybind for my Warlock and Warrior tank, but clicking comes so natural from HealBot that it'd be tough to get in to. Any tips? Which spells should be bound to which buttons? which ones shouldnt be bound etc.?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    *raises hand*

Been a clicker since the start, and once I learned how to play my class it was never a problem. Sure, i may do 3 or 5% less dps than the people who don't click, but that's my playstyle and that's how I like to play.
    In you Pve you may not be able to see the difference because well........its pve but ive been a clicker for years and now a complete keybinder with a naga. And boy o boy o boy I used to sound just like alot of people in this thread. But now im a at least 40-50% better player now. I really hope people see this thread because I used to be worried about it and not sure if I wanted to spend the time the time switching....And then once I stared to switch you are going to be complete garbage. Just set all ur spells and dont look back you will be surprised how fast your brain will pick it up. Hope this helps someone
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Myrandron View Post
    I used to click all the time raiding back on my tank, even in heroic raids, and I was better than majority of the tanks we ever had in the guild. If you know what your doing you can be fairly successful it's not that hard but you might have more success with keybinds. I prefer to click though just because I would never remember all the keybinds.
    I guess the tanks in your guild weren't that good then, if you are a clicker you play with a handicap and that's a fact so will you play worse than if you have keybinds. On heavy movement fights you can't move as good as someone who have keybinds, and you can't react as fast as someone who have keybinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I'd be willing to learn how to keybind for my Warlock and Warrior tank, but clicking comes so natural from HealBot that it'd be tough to get in to. Any tips? Which spells should be bound to which buttons? which ones shouldnt be bound etc.?
    In my opinion you should keybind every single spell, put all your spells on your bars and start keybinding, most common binds if you play with WASD are 1-6, shift1-6, ctrl1-6, F1-F4, Alt1-6 QERADF. And you should use strafe instead of turning.

Vanguard made a good guide: http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/477...d-vanguards-7/
    Last edited by xrayEU; 2013-10-09 at 04:55 AM.

Friend of mine is a successful Heroic raider who clicks, and I've never been able to comprehend how or why.

Then again, I've used binds for 9 years and he's done the opposite. Maybe it's that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Assuming here "Clicker = someone who clicks his/her main abilities instead of using hotkeys". I'm pretty sure most people have SOMETHING they haven't bound (like my cancel RF/ Cast RF macro as a prot paladin).

Never met a tank who clicked, but then again my fellow tanks have always been very stable, so my personal experience is limited (especially considering the amount of time I have spent tanking). As for DPS: I know (read: knew) some and they were never the best DPS in the raid. Some of them beat others on the meters and mechanics, but usually once you progress with a group of people through an entire expansion worth of raiding content, you see some faults which clickers cannot overcome.

So in short: in my experience it's not as bad as people claim it to be. Personal skill is still a far more important variable.
    But I do believe there's certain things clickers will never be able to do as fluently as keybinders. When it comes to tanking I would say this mostly falls into the category of picking up adds which spawn at random locations and intervals while you have to move. I've had a few of those fights (mostly due to error of someone else screwing up a mechanic, but that doesn't stop me from trying to save the attempt) and simply cannot imagine someone being fast enough to pick all of them up, while keeping aggro and avoiding all the "fires".
    I'm use keybinds. But I use the standard UI and always use my mouse to click the unbound abilities on the extra actionbars (that you activate through Interface).
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Deleted
    I click and love it keybinding just feels like playing the piano and just not my thing.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Keybinding your rotations may be a no-brainer. But what happens when you NEED to use a spell that you rarely ever use, is situational, and you may have keybound it back when you did your keybinds some 8+ months ago?
    Activate it with ease and keep on fighting? Honestly never had a problem like the hypothetical one you describe. Though beyond the singular example of Enslave Demon (Ctrl+E, by the way), I can't think of any other ability I wouldn't use for several months on end.

While I won't ever jump on the bandwagon of clicker bashing, it'd take more than a contrived example to convince me that clicking is actually better. Good enough? Yes. Better? Never.

Deleted
    Got atleast 25-30 keybinds if not more, only click things like summon/healthstone portal thing

Could probaly draw my actionbar and hotkeys if you woke me at 2 am

Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    Thats just retarded and awfully narrow minded. I know a few people who are clickers. and are constantly top dps in raids.
    they never dared telling the raid leader they are actually clicking due to the above mentioned narrow minded view.

However like others have said its not always about key bindings its also about skill. i myself only need to glance over my bars to see what i need to click.
    I have been doing this since vanilla and i bet i will still do better dps/ healing then a lot of so called elite keybinders.
    Thankfully my RL will never kick me from the group, even if I start clicking with my legs. Like I said, I'm one of the people carrying the raid. I never move witht he mouse though (aside of moving the camera ofc), that's what W A S D are for, so I'm not a 100% clicker, and like I said when I heal on alt runs and such, I use keybinds. Our hunter is also a clicker, and he tops the charts on some fights and on all fights he's near the top.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I think life long key binders, if they tried to click things find it about as clumsy as trying to write with their left hand. I don't see how people play First Person Shooters with a gamepad on a console. My son loves Call of Duty and he plays on the PS3, I can't can't kill anything. Now switch the the medium and play on a PC and I'm rofl stomping him all over the place. I use to mock and laugh at Console FPS people, but watching some of the really good players, I do have a fair amount of respect for them. They can pull off some pretty impressive feats using a gamepad, which I find to be a really clumsy device for FPSes.

Sadly, I don't think a keyboard turning would do very well in the brawlers guild on the Rank 8 fight (Hexos) in which you must constantly be turning. If they ever made a raidboss that had such an requirement, it could be a real problem for them
    Haha, for me its the opposite, coming from he GoldenEye/Perfect Dark era on the N64, I never understood how people claimed Mouse + Keyboard are better suited for FPS games. After years of playing FPS games (And getting sick of the genre altogether), I came to the conclusion both methods are equally comfortable for me, though I do understand how for multiplayer deathmatches a mouse would be way more precise and faster than an analog stick on a console controller.

Rank Amateurs the Lot of You.

I had a lightning hub surgically implanted into my cerebral cortex. I jack that puppy into my computer and I game at the speed of thought.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    One thing I have found that helps is using the same keybind across different characters for similar abilities e.g. On all my characters, an interrupt ability is on one of my mouse thumb buttons, damage reduction ability (e.g. Deterrence, Shield Wall) on Shift-T, Burst of speed (Worgen racial sprint, heroic leap, PW:S (talented for speed boost) on Shift-E.

It is absolutely true what others say that setting keybinds will take maybe 30 mins to an hour to get used to when you have to remind yourself what the keybind was but eventually it'll become 2nd nature and you'll be glad you did it.

I main as a Hunter and on dark shamans, if I've found myself on the wrong side of a badly placed wall, it's not unusual for me to use engi belt, run, jump, turn 180, hit disengage & deterrence, turn 180, land & continue running. This wouldn't be possible with clicking. There are many more examples that could be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Brb getting one shot on Ji-Kun by missing my AM on the 2nd stack of Talon Rake.
    On Ji-Kun HC I used to take 4-5 stacks as DK rather easily while our Prot Warr (who's not a clicker, and a very good player) was getting huge spikes and couldn't take more than 2 or 3 at most. I also contribute quite a bit of dps (less than before due to vengence nerf, but still on the top 5 mostly on our 10m group). I never missed using a cd on time, that has never been the issue for me. The issue for me remains simple - spread targeting/taunting on big AoE fights (Horridon is still the best example).