10+ Year Old Account

Wanting to make money with professions, but don't know which.

I want to make more gold. I currently have leatherworking on my monk, but that's -the- only character I have a useful profession on.

The professions I currently have are:
    Leatherworking (currently at like 11 hardened magnificent hides)
    Mining
    Loads of engineers.

Now, I want to make money through minimal effort. You know, with daily CDs and stuff like I'm doing on my monk right now, but I don't know which professions I should be taking.

I've got enough level 90s for probably all professions, so that isn't a problem.

Edit: I've also got A LOT of cloth, so perhaps tailoring would be a good profession?

Any profession can make gold, although in varying amounts and obviously the potential varies based on server. As with everything the basic caveat is to check the undermine journal for your servers prices before doing anything.

Enchanting, Jewelcrafting and Inscription are the three big earners, although I wouldn't advise inscription now that DMF cards are virtually useless. All of those rely on being able to play the AH game a bit to really be big earners though.

Xmute alchemy can be a nice earner for only 1 minute of your time a day for example, but it isn't something that will give you a lot more if you put more time in. Pairing it with engineering and you can sell pets/mount etc for very low time input. Inscription has a system that sounds ideal to you, but unfortunately it only really works at the start of xpacs, crafting a DMF card is the best time to gold you'll get at the start, but now not so much.

In terms of what has nice synergy, tailoring/enchanting, JC/Enchating/xmute Alchemy, xmute alchemy/BS, xmute alchemy/engineering are all decent options. I'd suggest considering a scribe for next xpac if you're thinking long term.

The key with the profession CDs is to be super consistent though, use the CDs every day, make the most of what you can. The people who make the most out of that method are the ones who make sure they're the first on server to be able to craft whatever it is with the new mat. don't expect a tonne of gold to just appear, it's a very slow and steady method of earning, but it is very reliable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, I'm thinking of going tailoring/enchanting and JC/alchemy. What's good about BS btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Alright, I'm thinking of going tailoring/enchanting and JC/alchemy. What's good about BS btw?
    Belt buckles sell the best of everything they make (even just buying the mats when they're cheap and selling around patchtime will make you a bit, but having 1+ xmute alchemists makes it better), pvp gear around patch time but that depends on your server, and patterns from raids will make a bit, and depending on your server older gear can find a market as transmog pieces. As of this patch BS has a daily cooldown to use which after 21/28 days lets them craft normal siege level belt/pants - which is the first time they can make something that quality without mats from the raid, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

It's not one of the highest earners but it's steady and fast in terms of time investment generally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starting any profession right now, after the last major patch of the expansion is done is probably not going to make you bundles any more. Most of the professions had their big selling moments, and you are behind on recipes and such you'd need to have.

If I were you I'd level whatever professions look good for next expansion, maybe try and sell some stuff here and there, but mostly prepare for next expansion. Depending on what server you are on it's probably not worth the gold and materials you have to put in to get all the recipes you need for JC for instance and get a return on the investment in Mists. It takes weeks/months to do the cooldown to learn all the best recipes, by that time the push for progression in SoO is over and people are winding down and looking towards the next expansion, leveling alts and such.

Don't expect to make a lot of gold anymore in Mists, but prepare for next expansion, and make sure you are dedicated on getting your professions maxed early then. You'll make a bundle if you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got Engineers: Make the tinkers and leveling materials for new Engineers. I started working out my groups for Engineering, and some items sell like sweet cookies, because people are lazy to craft them themselves, or don't bother to ask someone to do it.
    There are literally 100's of items to make with profit, of course they won't sell quick, but you can make up to 500% profit if you know what you're doing.

Deleted
    Engineers? Why not earning money with Skygolem?

I'm a blacksmith and a tank. Normally I never into selling crafting stuff. I just loot that I collect by soloing and some rare classic crafts. Works OK for me.

Deleted
    Always had mining - herbing and JC when it came out. Prospect / buy raw gems cut resell