Page 1 of 3
LastLast

why is gta 5s artstyle so bad?

everytime i see it the characters make my eyes bleed. its like they went halfway to realism and halfway to comic book and it DOES NOT look good, it just looks awkward and weird.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Style is opinion, just like WoW's art. A lot of people love it, a lot think it looks "bad" because of it's Cartoony style.

Though, I did expect better for a new GTA tbh.

maybe they made it bad so the next-gen versions will look alot better and sell consoles/games

specifically the arms and necks look really weird to me.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The real question is, Why is GTA 5 online such a horrible game?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    realistic looking game usually age badly, look at GTA vice city or max payne 1 or 2. Cartoon looking game, or cell shaded game usually age better.
    GTA 5 run on the same hardware that GTA 4 was running, while rockstar may have learn to better use the hardware, they can do miracle.

I'm hoping the PC version will have have terrific graphics and effect. that won't change the artstyle, but perhaps the artstyle need a better technology to truly express its beauty. We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Art is subjective, just the same as your opinion.

I like the art style. <- also subjective.

Your thread should have posed the question, "Do you like the art style of GTA V?" Possibly even with a poll. This would be better for discussion, rather than us just analyzing your statement.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

What? I spent hours praising the art design for GTA 5 the other day, lol.

Deleted
    Shhhh

Don't say anything bad about gta5 or the squad will come to get you.

Deleted
    I need glasses, I don't see this comic book look?

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion gameplay > graphics. You can have all the fancy graphics (which on itself, is ofcourse nice), but the game won't keep you playing that long (Crysis for example).

The character's artstyle is great and the world is incredibly rich.
    It will be even better when on PS4 and PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    Shhhh

Don't say anything bad about gta5 or the squad will come to get you.
    and maybe you could add something to the discussion without being passively critical?

Deleted
    GTA franchise has so much potential but they keep releasing the same game with outdated graphics (they did a better job this time though). I suppose it's only normal since it's like CoD, people like simple more of the same. I guess.

Only reason I enjoy Saints Row is because it was an exact copy of GTA but with extras like humor, original quests/missions. I won't buy Saints Row either if they release the same shit every time, which luckily they didn't as 4 showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heratix View Post
    In my opinion gameplay > graphics. You can have all the fancy graphics (which on itself, is ofcourse nice), but the game won't keep you playing that long (Crysis for example).
    Which is a fair argument if the gameplay is impressive. Which in this case it is not.

Also we live in 2013. Crysis was impressive when Crysis 1 was first released. With all the tech available in this age there simply shouldn't be any game released that looks remotely bad. This bullshit "gameplay > graphics" was a good argument 6 years ago. Games hardly look better then in 2011 now, they are just waaaay better optimised to run better for lower end PC's. Battlefield is a perfect example of that.

Not trying to praise Battlefield for it's gameplay here as I don't play as much myself, but the game can be played on high on almost every PC bought after 2010. I can count all games who can pull that off on a single hand.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-10-07 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    GTA franchise has so much potential but they keep releasing the same game with outdated graphics (they did a better job this time though). I suppose it's only normal since it's like CoD, people like simple more of the same. I guess.

Only reason I enjoy Saints Row is because it was an exact copy of GTA but with extras like humor, original quests/missions. I won't buy Saints Row either if they release the same shit every time, which luckily they didn't as 4 showed.

Which is a fair argument if the gameplay is impressive. Which in this case it is not.

Also we live in 2013. Crysis was impressive when Crysis 1 was first released. With all the tech available in this age there simply shouldn't be any game released that looks remotely bad. This bullshit "gameplay > graphics" was a good argument 6 years ago. Games hardly look better then in 2011 now, they are just waaaay better optimised to run better for lower end PC's. Battlefield is a perfect example of that.

Not trying to praise Battlefield for it's gameplay here as I don't play as much myself, but the game can be played on high on almost every PC bought after 2010. I can count all games who can pull that off on a single hand.
    Gameplay vs graphics is the most viable argument there ever will be.

A game should be rated firstly and foremost on how it plays. Everything else comes after. This has been a good argument since even the first physical games were created, never mind computer games. If a game is fun, people will play it, end of story. If it is not, but it looks amazing, people may be suckered in by the visuals then never play it.

As to why games hardly look better than 2011, it's because the majority of games have been designed around the Xbox 360/PS3's limited scopes. There's not much to be done about that until the next console gen kicks in in full next year onwards.

As to GTA 5's graphics, the game is extremely visually impressive for a multi-platform console game. Given the cripplingly small amount of RAM/VRAM that they have access to, it's about as good as it gets for a sandbox style game.

Its art style is completely subjective however. One person likes x, the other likes y and a 3rd likes z.

People like to express their opinions as rhetorical questions or conclusions, rather than open ended discussions, thus this thread's title: We're asked not whether or not we like the art style, but why it's so bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Style is opinion, just like WoW's art. A lot of people love it, a lot think it looks "bad" because of it's Cartoony style.

Though, I did expect better for a new GTA tbh.
    Exactly there alot of games I think look terrible that are new compared to old games. We all have are own prefered style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Only reason I enjoy Saints Row is because it was an exact copy of GTA but with extras like humor
    I have yet to find this "humor" in Saints Row games.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are playing a ported low quality console version.

Wait for the real game which is the next gen console,s and then wait for the best version which is PC.

Deleted
    anyone else getting malicious URLS on this page ?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i do.

Avast warm me of a detected threat on this page.