Should we even bother gearing alts for raids?

I'm asking because I have a couple of other alts I would like to raid in and still be competitive but only my main has the cloak. I figure, if I start trying to get the cloak I might get it in about 3+ months for one alt. Can players with no cloak be competitive in the raid environment? In my raid team everyone has the cloak so I have no other way of gauging this. What do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't really need to have legendary cloak to do the necessary damage/healing/tanking to defeat any bosses (at least on Normal atm), they would certainly help, but are not mandatory. I'm probably not the first one to tell you this, but gear alone doesn't make a player good or a character competitive. It definitely helps but a lot less than a people seem to give it credit for.

The bosses are not tuned with the legendary in mind. It is a substantial dps increase, but it's really not a necessity. You may find some groups that would be unwilling to bring you without one, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also you can kill ordos on your alts too =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

The proc on the cloak gives me around 7% of my dps, which would make it around 10k. The extra stats on the cloak compared to a 522 would give you about 5k more dps. I think the gem would be around another 5k dps. So without any of the legendary rewards, you're missing out on about 20k dps. It will slow you down some, but if you're good enough at playing your class, you'll be fine. Besides, most fights are more about mechanics than dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    The bosses are not tuned with the legendary in mind. It is a substantial dps increase, but it's really not a necessity. You may find some groups that would be unwilling to bring you without one, I suppose.
    They arent but today player`s brain is connected
    Ofc no one ask me do i have meta or legendary cloak (maybe because they see it in armory).If you have decent ilv still can raid with your alts but is recomended to have both items if you going to play healer or dps the boost form the items is too big to be ignored especially if you are in tr15 gear

for LFR or flex no. but for normal the legendary cloak is a massive help. its true you can beat normal without it.. but the same can be said attempting to raid MSV with all raiders at 440/450 ilvl.

so its doable but better to have it. it adds a big chunk of dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Meta + Legendary is over 10% dps/heal increase plus extra 5ish ilvl upgrade. How is it not necessity?
    I currently am in secrets of empire stage and I feel seriously gimped over those who completed legendaries.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Meta + Legendary is over 10% dps/heal increase plus extra 5ish ilvl upgrade. How is it not necessity?
    I currently am in secrets of empire stage and I feel seriously gimped over those who completed legendaries.
    Agreed, I feel at a disadvantage on an alt. No serious group would invite my alt without cloak and meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just can't,
    can't be bothered to gear my alts. it takes too much time.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!