Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Dreadlord .Nensec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    764
    I found that this particular problem is largely related due to girls being so incredibly held back and respond poorly to anonymous types.
    Too fast do they feel attacked and pushed, resulting in people pushing in deeper to get to them for a response; this quickly becomes nasty.

    Ignoring them by being silent is making them want more from you, the moment you fight back is when you can push them away.
    If you don't then this will happen again and again in a vicious cycle until the point where you seek help on a gaming forum.

  2. #182
    The Lightbringer Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    While this reigns mostly true with physical activities, there haven't been enough studies on it when it comes to playing video games; It's vastly out dated, considering the advancement of the technology that we now use.

    Of the few studies that have been done (when it comes to men vs. women in video games), it shows that men's reward regions in the brain are stimulated more than women's are when they play.

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/daily...ain/index.html
    Motivation plays a big role in how skilled you become, and if there's anything males are motivated to do then it is to show the world that they are better than you are, even if they have to be seen as obnoxious assholes to do it.

    While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?

  3. #183
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,787
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    It has been before, and it will be said again.

    Men tend to have better eye/hand coordination. Expect men to ignore women when it involves something that basic.
    And that justifies misogynistic behavior... How? lol

    While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread.
    I wonder how your mother feels about that statement.
    You get a thumbs up, pat on the back and a "way to go" from your label every day, looking boy
    Hey, looking boy, what you say looking boy? I get a "hell yeah" from Dre, looking boy
    I work for everything I have, never asked nobody for shit. Get outta my face, looking boy


  4. #184
    I am Murloc! Grading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Myouren Temple
    Posts
    5,355
    Sexist people are weak and disappointing.

    Who cares what gender someone is, it's the player that counts. Unfortunately, people will find any excuse to harass others as long as they can hide themselves behind their avatar.

    Also "tough guys" on the Internet who tell you to "deal with it" make me laugh. It's just a shallow front they're putting up to shield their incredibly weak minds.

  5. #185
    Dreadlord .Nensec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Also "tough guys" on the Internet who tell you to "deal with it" make me laugh. It's just a shallow front they're putting up to shield their incredibly weak minds.
    Everything has an extreme. You are describing one here.
    In return I would say that you are ignorant to the fact that most of the time girls don't even try to stand up for themselves and hide behind a muted mic.

  6. #186
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?
    As a woman, I often find this to be true. But it spans both genders as well.

    It's a personality type, that may or may not be found in one gender more than the other. It was practically beat out of me as a competitive athlete at young age. I think a lot of mental conditioning happens when you're young, and that's what shapes how we deal with these sorts of situations.

    I've been in similar situations in PvE, where people wanted to kick me from a pug because I'm a chick. I just say "You could, but then you'd lose a good healer." or "Piss me off, and I'll really show you something".

    The latter being my life motto.

    OP, I'm sorry people suck. Apparently the higher powers are trying to hotfix it but they haven't come up with a solution. In the mean time, just show them up and let your actions speak louder than anything you could say.

    You have nothing to prove to some creeps and jerks on the internet. You only have something to prove to yourself.

  7. #187
    PvP'ers in this game are absolute cancer.
    I honestly don't expect any of these idiots to be much of anything in real life.

    And sadly - this is quite common.
    I've been doing RBG's this patch on and off and every single time my friend invites me to a group there's some autistic virgin who starts up some crap about me "being a little boy" and snips left and right about being a girl and how we were going to lose because there was a girl.
    Straight up told my friend it went worse than the "boy" joke once more I'd be leaving mid match and letting them tank their MMR. It's luckily just stayed at the boy thing since. I think they realized I wasn't a carry pretty quick or something.

    S12 I was stuck doing nothing but RBG's because I was on Proudmoore. Nobody there actually did arenas seriously outside capping so I had to pug my way up the ladder and the abuse just from /speaking/ was disgusting. I ended up leaving over half the groups I joined because of the amount of garbage 1700 players were spewing because "omg the girl's gonna want to get carried" despite me almost always being top damage in previous seasons as an arms warrior.
    Pretty sure I'm the one doing the carring at those piss-poor ratings when the mages and locks can't keep up.
    Oddly enough once I was playing with 2k+ teams it stopped - but I had enough by that point and just straight up stopped after I hard pushed.

    I'm a 2200 player whose steadily around 1900-2100 MMR in any bracket I touch after one real season of PvPing (discounting 12 - Talking 13 here.). I'm solid. I don't have to deal with a bunch of losers who stroke their e-peens over RBG ratings and inflated season 2200's.

    My skin is pretty thick; But it doesn't mean people should have to sit there and take it just because.
    I don't mind teasing - but there's a point where when it's more than that and there's a point where it's just straight up annoying. Supporting this behavior by just telling people to "grow a skin" is absolutely retarded.

    I just prove the idiots wrong. They keep at it after I'm first or 2nd in their damage done while also pumping out as much CC as a warrior can? Enjoy your loss mid-match morons; I already got what I want from RBG's and just want Warbringer. I'll take the rating cut.

    -- Signature by /the/ Crazytaco --

  8. #188
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?
    I would really like to see some sort of study on this, instead of just assuming that all or most women are this way. For me, I'm better at WoW than my husband in most aspects of the game. We've both been playing the game for the same number of years, but I'm just better at it. My reaction time is much quicker than his and my ability to understand an encounter.

    Now, throw my ass into Call of Duty and I'm a complete fail compared to him. As you said, motivation may be the key. In WoW I'm more motivated to succeed and get better. I want the end goal more than him....Call of Duty - not so much. I'm sure if I enjoyed the game as much as he did, or wanted the end rewards as much, then I could be a competitive player. But as it stands right now, I don't - I'm mediocre, at best.

    The study that I linked in my previous post proved that men and women's motor skills are the same. How the whole "men have quicker reaction times than women in games" argument got started is beyond me, because there haven't really been any studies on it. Even a quick google search showed basically just the one I linked.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2013-10-08 at 01:01 PM.

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?
    I don't know about you, but I'm of the mind that I have to fix shit myself because nobody else is going to do it for me (or they do a half ass/shitty job of it when they do). I don't complain about it, I figure out what needs to be done and handle it.

    I find that the men who have such low expectations/opinions of what women are capable of are often the ones that have never been in a relationship with one.

    Now, granted, there are a lot of drama queens out there, but to judge all women as such based off the behavior of a few is as bad as calling all male gamers basement boy rejects: you guys hate that shit.
    Last edited by Chudah; 2013-10-08 at 01:08 PM.

  10. #190
    People troll in WoW and flame people irrelevant of whether they are good or bad.

    These people exist in the MMO you play, the people that play WoW make the game what it is, if you don't like it you don't have to play.

    I thought people would get this after 8 years.

    But the "haha XDdD gurl gam3r =3 i play plants vs zombies giv me gold i'm a gurl" stereotype hasn't come from nowhere, and you can't get angry simply because people come to conclusion based on stereotypes, its just how people are.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    But the "haha XDdD gurl gam3r =3 i play plants vs zombies giv me gold i'm a gurl" stereotype hasn't come from nowhere.
    The "MMO Players are basement virgins" stereotype didn't come from nowhere, either.

    -- Signature by /the/ Crazytaco --

  12. #192
    The "MMO Players are basement virgins" stereotype didn't come from nowhere, either.
    Exactly.

    "Message too short"

  13. #193
    Someone was mean to me on the internet, call 911.

    Really?

    Both sides are sexist.

    Men say women can't play, women say men can't get a girlfriend.

    It's all around us.

    No need to make it reach the news page.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    But the "haha XDdD gurl gam3r =3 i play plants vs zombies giv me gold i'm a gurl" stereotype hasn't come from nowhere.
    I agree, as a female gamer, I've come across that type of player from time to time and they bug the ever-loving shit out of me. But only the immature and small-minded see those people and extrapolate their behavior onto every other female playing the game.
    Last edited by Chudah; 2013-10-08 at 01:07 PM.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

    I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

    This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

    I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

    This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    You're dealing with people in a relatively anonymous situation. They're going to act how they want without fear or consequence.

    My question is what's the purpose of posting this. People said some bad things to you. so what. Next time leave. There's no way to mitigate it, legislate it or change it. And why does it have to be changed?

    Next thing you know they'll give trophies to everybody just for participating, oh wait.

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    even in a physical competition, a female can be just as good as any male
    Yeah, let's not push the limits here. Stay on topic. Don't even get me started on physical competition. There's a reason Olympics have separate events for the sexes.

  17. #197
    even in a physical competition, a female can be just as good as any male
    Now you're simply being ridiculous.

  18. #198
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinthalasKT View Post
    Yeah, let's not push the limits here. Stay on topic. Don't even get me started on physical competition. There's a reason Olympics have separate events for the sexes.
    As said before: Physically, yes. Majority of the time men are physically stronger than women in certain aspects of the body. But, men and women's motor skills in video games has been proven to be equal.

  19. #199
    You could always get a decent voice changer and disguise your voice while in groups with randoms. It isn't an ideal situation, but if you just wanted to avoid being drawn into an uncomfortable place it could defer suspicion and help you maintain your privacy.

    I've started a webcomic. Updates Sporadically. Last update 9/4

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    As said before: Physically, yes. Majority of the time men are physically stronger than women in certain aspects of the body. But, men and women's motor skills in video games has been proven to be equal.
    I agree with that fully, just that Moon should have made their post more clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •