Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    641
    Eh I'd argue that hiding from it only perpetuates the problem.

    Take it, handle it, and show them that you're here for good. Bonus points if you can play just as good as they can. You have to face stereotypes head-on and build a new trend such that when people bring up the stereotype, people eventually just start saying "well that's not always the case" and slowly they fade out and only fragments of that idea are left behind.

    I think another problem with it is that boys don't want to be beat by a girl. Brings up painful childhood teasing memories. YOU THROW LIKE A GIRL etc.

    Sexism on both sides, all around.
    Girls are mean to girls
    Guys are mean to guys
    Girls are mean to guys
    Guys are mean to girls.

    Conclusion: Humans are mean to one another.
    Solution: Give less fucks.

  2. #202
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    The "MMO Players are basement virgins" stereotype didn't come from nowhere, either.
    This reply is my favourite post of the day and hits home with so many it will most likely be ridiculed or ignored by many
    +1

  3. #203
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    This reply is my favourite post of the day and hits home with so many it will most likely be ridiculed or ignored by many
    +1
    Definitely.

    Does one get bonus points if you're a gamer girl virgin basement dweller?

    Oh why am I asking? No reason in particular...

  4. #204
    Immortal Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    7,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Wow what a bunch of idiots.
    Pretty much this.
    Just ignore what those Idiots say or leave the group.

    They don't deserve you anyway.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  5. #205
    I know it's easy to say, just ignore it and prove them wrong, but in certain circumstances that can be tough.

    A few years back a friend of mine got my alt invited into a PuG that our server's top guild was hosting. They were running alts through older content and needed several more to get 25. The alt I was on had been dragged through some arenas by another friend after begging and cajoling I joined him even though we were both in blues mid-expansion. Needless to say I think we only won 2 out of 10 fights so my arena ranking was about as low as it could be. So anyway, I join the raid and immediately harangued and mocked endlessly between every pull for my sucky PVP rating. My thoughts were mostly what every is saying as far as I brushed it off and didn't worry about it. I was trying to laugh and mock myself a little in vent to allow some self deprecating humor to diffuse their mocking, but alas the fates saw to it that I had a mic problem that I didn't realize until a week later, so they didn't hear me.

    Long story short, I died in more fires during that alt run that I had running with my guild all expansion. While I thought it wasn't bothering me, looking back at it, I would have to admit I was pretty distracted, and by staying only reinforced their mocking.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    Definitely.

    Does one get bonus points if you're a gamer girl virgin basement dweller?

    Oh why am I asking? No reason in particular...

    At least I live in an apartment...

    -- Signature by /the/ Crazytaco --

  7. #207
    Cool elaborate troll.
    Cool ban bait.
    Cool buzzwords everywhere.

    Shitty public forums.
    Fuck off and die.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-10-08 at 01:30 PM.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    But the "haha XDdD gurl gam3r =3 i play plants vs zombies giv me gold i'm a gurl" stereotype hasn't come from nowhere, and you can't get angry simply because people come to conclusion based on stereotypes, its just how people are.
    The safe money says that 95% of gamers who say "i'm a gurl IRL" are guys.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    The safe money says that 95% of gamers who say "i'm a gurl IRL" are guys.
    14/f/cali here, u?

  10. #210
    As long as players in my group do their job, I don't care really how they look or what's between their legs. In fact I don't care if they underperform either, come to think of it. Because I know that what type of chromosomes your cells contain doesn't actually matter (as long as you're human, anyway) for your relative skill at a video game.

    What gets me are the chivalrous pricks. The "knight-in-shining-armour" guys who always come to the defense of any damsel in perceived distress. They give me awkward vibes. I don't really know why, though. So I was kind of wondering what you ladies think of them?

  11. #211
    Mechagnome Naer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    <Intent>
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post

    At least I live in an apartment...
    It's a basement apartment okay.



    OP: Cheer up anyways. As you can see from this thread, people suck everywhere.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    What gets me are the chivalrous pricks. The "knight-in-shining-armour" guys who always come to the defense of any damsel in perceived distress. They give me awkward vibes. I don't really know why, though. So I was kind of wondering what you ladies think of them?
    Creeps to the extreme and half the reason a chunk of my RiD still thinks I'm a guy and the fact I lie about my gender when asked unless voice comm is required.

    -- Signature by /the/ Crazytaco --

  13. #213
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In your air conditioning
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

    I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

    This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

    I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

    This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    It's clear you know how to PvP with Glad and rating etc. Why would you give a shit about Smack talkers? If anything. Don't PuG RGB's. Your always going to deal with Trash. PuG's are where nobody gives a shit and there are no rules. I tried a PuG 1 time to try and get to 2200 in my RBG hit up vent and walked into an AIDS joke followed up by black jokes. I am laid back dude but no thanks. I don't want to hear that shit in my game. There are millions of others to play this game with. Hook up with a guild running with them to afford most trash.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; 2013-10-08 at 01:44 PM.
    GC : Reclaimer, Everything you say is real and I respect you because you tell it.
    Reclaimer : When you say " Plz " instead of please, I say " No " because its shorter than Yes.
    Relliks : Dude, Reclaimer's fucking epic. He's got the right to quote himself.

  14. #214
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,752
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    What gets me are the chivalrous pricks. The "knight-in-shining-armour" guys who always come to the defense of any damsel in perceived distress. They give me awkward vibes. I don't really know why, though. So I was kind of wondering what you ladies think of them?
    I don't think it's necessarily a "knight in shiny armor" that calls out other males players. It's just a mature guy, who doesn't want to listen to immature non-sense, when there should be a goal of winning the RBG (or whatever else it is) in mind.

  15. #215
    Mechagnome Jaojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Cabin
    Posts
    697
    Get mad.

    Bullies respect rage. Soon as someone starts to talk shit go off the handle a bit, that will shut all of them up. It's hard, and stressful for you (it will get your blood pressure up a bit if you do it right) but one brief moment of stress is worth the benefit. Your essentially acting, but you already have an emotion to back up the authenticity.

    There are a lot of ignorant people in the world. Sexist, racist, radical, narrow-minded, self-absorbed, rude, selfish; and everytime I meet one I want to punch them in the face. Needless to say, I don't tolerate their presence, and they don't stick around me very long.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    Down with the patriarchy!

    r-right?
    Support feminism, DOWN WITH MEN.

    r-right? g-guys?

  17. #217
    Herald of the Titans Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    2,984
    Nerds are scared of girls, and when you challenge them in their territory, they are likely to resort to their numbers.

    On a serious note: i actually have no idea what to say about this. Seems you found people there who desperately need help.

  18. #218
    The bottom line should be to dust off your shoes and move on. The more upset you get about this, the more control you've handed them over you. It was a crappy situation, but that doesn't mean you have to dwell on it. Learn from it and if something like it happens again, you'll know to handle it differently. Just remember that the more you care about what other people think of you, the more power you give them as well.
    Last edited by Chudah; 2013-10-08 at 02:05 PM.

  19. #219
    I'm going to be blatantly honest. I do not believe a second you got glad or high ratings by yourself if you never got acostumed to the PvP community at all and are actually 'shocked' or 'taken back' by such behaviors. I have no idea how you can not expect childiness from an internet community, let alone a PvP one in a MMO at that. This has nothing to do with your gender or anything so far.

    Yes, they were sexist, but either you are naive as a child, trolling, or grossly exaggerating. You're also taking for sexism a lot of things that aren't related to your gender at all - they were calling you stupid because you couldn't listen to a call made on TS first and foremost, not because you had boobs. Only the pre-game part reeks of sexism, and even then it still seems pretty tame.
    From reading your post, you're just annoyed that you played badly and got called out for it. The 'girl' part is just topping it off - it's not the other way around.

    If you're not trolling and not exaggerating, then you probably need to find a way to grow a thicker skin, for your own sake (and I'm saying this as advice for the future, not as anything else). Getting hurt by such meaningless sentences isn't something good for you, especially if they are stupid.
    Last edited by Mionelol; 2013-10-08 at 02:11 PM.

  20. #220
    I am Murloc! ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vacating
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Well, you really wonder?

    Lots of males assholes in company is[sic] almost always going to end up sexistic[sic], no matter in[sic] a women is there or not.
    And especially PVP-elitists are one of the worst breed of humanlike creatures, that just dont have a sense for Moral or anything not PWN-related. Well aside from facemelting.
    FIFY. Please don't presume you speak for everyone of a given gender.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •