Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I actually went to a feminism conference in DC a few years back.

I found it to be enlightening and fairly equalist. One of the seminars was Parental rights -- a Fair chance for mother AND Father. It went over the issues concerning custody battles and the bias of mom is always right.

Regardless, as a feminist, I wouldn't label all feminists as mad crazy people. There are outliers of course, or people not actually involved in trying to push legislation and change. And not all of us can't take a joke either

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    I actually went to a feminism conference in DC a few years back.

I found it to be enlightening and fairly equalist. One of the seminars was Parental rights -- a Fair chance for mother AND Father. It went over the issues concerning custody battles and the bias of mom is always right.

Regardless, as a feminist, I wouldn't label all feminists as mad crazy people. There are outliers of course, or people not actually involved in trying to push legislation and change. And not all of us can't take a joke either
    Agreed,

I met a lovely/friendly feminist woman and formed a relationship, she was an advocate for NARAL Pro-Choice America (among other things), but she certainly wasn't anti-men, nor did she expect double standards. She refused to have her son circumcised too.

She had a wonderful dirty sense of humor too and could definitely take a joke, and also dish them out.

Just showing support that not all feminists are batshit insane, from a males experience. Although, if you go to a rally you will definitely see some.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2013-10-08 at 04:20 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    I run a Flex full clear group weekly. I bring one of my guildies who is a girl, and I've had a number of pugs join via openraid as well. That added 3 more girls at least (not everyone talks on mumble), one of which is in a decent raiding guild and who helps coordinate and strategize the raid with me. I haven't noticed any particular differences between them and the guys when it comes to raid performance. The only difference I notice is that I like to hear their voices more than the guys voices :P

10+ Year Old Account
    it would be appropriate i think if more guys objected verbally when other men express open sexism voice-chat.
    people who know better need to let it be known that it's not actually socially acceptable to bully people.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Sounds to me personally the guys were NEGing you trying to get you to respond so they could be playful with you. You shouldn't hesitate or sound awkward just because you are a girl. It makes others feel like you aren't confident. When you lost confidence it affected your play and then they turned into total morons. However the ones trying to NEG sound like they went about it poorly from the start and instead of building a playful conversation just upset you and made themselves look like a complete tool. Don't worry though it makes him look like a retard in the end.

Some people are socially awkward. Don't worry though in this case it WASN'T you.

All you need to do is grow some balls. and go do more RBGS with a different group.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-10-08 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunaly in most raids I played 'that guy' who drags the group down was 'that girl' so you got to deal with it.
    I would never judge a player in advance though until they fuck up and in most cases chicks sadly do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Unfortunaly in most raids I played 'that guy' who drags the group down was 'that girl' so you got to deal with it.
    I would never judge a player in advance though until they fuck up and in most cases chicks sadly do.
    Girl to guy ratio in gaming is usually 25%/75% in my experiences. However I've met thousands more awful guy players then girls. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Akutare View Post
    You could always get a decent voice changer and disguise your voice while in groups with randoms. It isn't an ideal situation, but if you just wanted to avoid being drawn into an uncomfortable place it could defer suspicion and help you maintain your privacy.
    Why should she have to pretend to be something shes not, this is ridiculous. Guys get over yourselves and the caveman attitudes, girls play video games and alot are better at pvp then you. OP the real issue here is boys try to puff themselves up and be big in front of their friends, when in reality they are uncomfortable around women, learn how to use it to your advantage because you'll run across plenty of neanderthals in life

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the best pvp'ers in the game are women and stream. So while your story may in fact be true, of the 3+ years that I've played and having gotten Hero of the Horde and done a LOT of rbg's and arena, I find your story hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
    Why should she have to pretend to be something shes not, this is ridiculous. Guys get over yourselves and the caveman attitudes, girls play video games and alot are better at pvp then you. OP the real issue here is boys try to puff themselves up and be big in front of their friends, when in reality they are uncomfortable around women, learn how to use it to your advantage because you'll run across plenty of neanderthals in life
    This is pretty accurate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    However I've met thousands more awful guy players then girls. Funny how that works.
    I'm talking about semi-decent raidguilds not some random LFR players.

Here's what's going on. With the anonymity of the internet, guys can say what they're always wanting to say anyways. They've just been trained like dogs to keep it bottled up inside because society is ashamed of it. No guy thinks a girl is their equal, except when mob mentality makes him think they''ll be punished for saying otherwise. I wish I had better news for you, but that's the reality.

Right, and I'd say I've met quite a few great woman gamers, and quite a few meh ones.

The same could be said for guys.

But since there are more guys than girls playing the game (exact figures I am not aware of, but I am using some common sense on this one), than you're likely to run into more "meh" guys players, even IF the female meh players are more memorable because they're female.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Whatever you do, keep your cool. Lashing back will make you look worse to them.

I'd of said either:
    "Don't worry guys, I'm not here to argue sense into sexists. It's futile."

And leave it at that. Don't flinch at any comment from there on forward.

or, if you really can't deal with it:
    "This group will go nowhere with this attitude. Later shit for brains."

Then leave and forget. Don't let them get a rise out of you if they continue to harass you.
    The "later shit for brains" part gives them the satisfaction that she was affected. Far better to mindfuck them.

"I was hoping to join a competent group tonight, I guess I was wrong. Good luck" /leavegroup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Abandon thread

I can't post that in caps
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    Half my raid team are female and they outplay the men so fortunately for us all, theres very little "omg gurl" here. Whilst I'm not surprised by the reaction of your team (online gamers still have a little way to go in that regard ) I wouldn't take it as the only reaction you'll ever get.

Having said that... PuG PvE is lame enough, PuG PvP is all a massive epeen fest mostly anyway; so probably the worst in-game environment for that behaviour
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

You mean semi - decent being a Top 15 US guild that has cleared every single raid launched in the games history? I guess thats semi-decent. Yes more of our girl apps are more suited to recruitment then male apps. Why are there so many awful male gamers?

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Here's what's going on. With the anonymity of the internet, guys can say what they're always wanting to say anyways. They've just been trained like dogs to keep it bottled up inside because society is ashamed of it. No guy thinks a girl is their equal, except when mob mentality makes him think they''ll be punished for saying otherwise. I wish I had better news for you, but that's the reality.
    That bullshit, sorry ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    Right, and I'd say I've met quite a few great woman gamers, and quite a few meh ones.

The same could be said for guys.

But since there are more guys than girls playing the game (exact figures I am not aware of, but I am using some common sense on this one), than you're likely to run into more "meh" guys players, even IF the female meh players are more memorable because they're female.
    Hey....

You're using logic...

Deleted
    She doesn't have to prove anything just because it's a girl/woman. She should play with normal people and not with idiots. Don't pug.