Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    To me it sounds like you got into just an unlucky and shitty group of people since from my personal exp, ive never seen an experience that bad before (Ive been playing this game since beta of vanilla, and ive seen my fair share of people and their stupidity in wow). In pvp people tend to be more harsher i find but from a pve perspective (i dont pvp all that often); i have heard people say negative things about a woman playing but very rarely. I have raided with a bunch of 25 man guilds that had a few female members while doing heroic content, and no one complained or said anything negative.

    My best advice is to report them, and to prove them wrong. Back in BC i was a retribution paladin (ive always been) and at that time they wernt in the best shape and alot of people refused to take any ret to raids because they thought they had shit damage. So when i got some dumb ass telling me sorry but he wouldnt take me to a raid or invite me to a raiding guild because i was ret i would respond with: "i will be one of your top dps and live in 99% of boss fights". And then i would go into his raid and bust my ass to prove them wrong, and sure enough i would be one of the top (would even get whispered that they were sorry they doubted me). So if i was in your shoes i would of said: yes im a woman, and watch me destroy you and win this bg.

    In short what im trying to say is people are stupid and they assume things without even giving someone a shot, they judge a book by its cover. Report dicks that whispered you, dont let it get you down and prove them wrong. Show them you are a good player, and make them eat their words when you destroy them in that bg by being the best dps, healer, flag caper or what ever you got to be to be the MVP of the team.
    Last edited by Ishamaelronin; 2013-10-08 at 05:53 AM.

  2. #102
    SO they say you wont do good, then because of that you don't do good. And that is their fault? Yes they should not be mean. But if they are talking shit you need to nut up and show em what you got not shut down and zone out.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  3. #103
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

    I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

    This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

    I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

    This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    pvp players are in general looking for someone to belittle. thats why they insist on playing against other players. you just happened to be the easy target of the day.


    Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

  4. #104
    Thats saddening to hear, but Im not surprised seeing as most people playing PVP are either ~12-15 years old or just stupid.

    Kids on voicechat yelling profanities against eachother in COD Halo or LoL is what comes to mind when I read this.
    Last edited by Trollfaced; 2013-10-08 at 05:50 AM.
    [email protected] | 8gb RAM | Geforce GTX 660 OC | 120gb SSD
    Druid (Main)World first 9000/9000HC 10minutes/week

  5. #105
    Grab a random group of pvpers that have to run in random groups and most will be shitheads one way or another.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  6. #106
    Only way to show them was to prove them wrong.
    And you didnt
    Trylb / Galesin
    Winners never quit, Quitters never win
    Nobody Said It Was Easy

  7. #107
    Everyone has triggerpoints that can cause them to be off balance and play badly. You clearly met one of your such triggers; no shame in that. You already have proven yourself with your pvp ranking and can gain confidence from that.

    You dont have to accept bad behaviour, it is perfectly allowable to maintain your own standard. Maintaining your own standard *can* lead to ignoring/muting players you dont like, or asking the group to kick such players, or leaving yourself because you value your time higher than to waste it on such people. There are a lot of people who do not enjoy abuse yet play well. Finding them is something that requires attention but can be very rewarding in fun gameplay in the long run - it is how I enjoy my guild.

    You can also learn to ignore such abuse, to just take it. Not my way, but each their own.

    Or you can become more assertive: respond back, both in words (establish what you accept and dont accept) and actions (show them you can play). Assertiveness is something you can practice, there are courses or you can make roleplays yourself (the other acts like an abuser, and you say back what you would have liked to say; then stand still at how that works for you).

    I find the respons of your friend rather weak; without a mic, typing would have worked too - it is much more likely your friend did not wish to rock the boat or dare to be confrontational; again a case of 'how do you wish to spend your play time'. Maybe you can practice being assertive on each other via roleplay .

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    [...horrifying comment...]

    Contribute constructively
    Contribute constructively?! As if breaking some arbitrary rules of 'forum-post constructiveness' took precedence over their inimicality.

    At least he's banned. The internet, sometimes...

  9. #109
    The Patient Nayelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    348
    Picture very related




    Now that that is out of the way, I feel for you chica. Being a girl in this game is hard sometimes. Back in Cata, I was tired of being on a raid team, so I did all of DS through pugs. And I learned to never speak in vent unless 1) I heard another girl or 2) I knew someone in the vent. If I spoke without one of those two, it was always a flurry of "omg a girl", with several of them going crazy in vent, and then one or two of them whispering me with apologies about their guildies, but letting me know that they were true gentlemen.

    I don't know why we can't just all game in peace sometimes

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaelronin View Post
    To me it sounds like you got into just an unlucky and shitty group of people since from my personal exp, ive never seen an experience that bad before (Ive been playing this game since beta of vanilla, and ive seen my fair share of people and their stupidity in wow). In pvp people tend to be more harsher i find but from a pve perspective (i dont pvp all that often); i have heard people say negative things about a woman playing but very rarely. I have raided with a bunch of 25 man guilds that had a few female members while doing heroic content, and no one complained or said anything negative.

    My best advice is to report them, and to prove them wrong. Back in BC i was a retribution paladin (ive always been) and at that time they wernt in the best shape and alot of people refused to take any ret to raids because they thought they had shit damage. So when i got some dumb ass telling me sorry but he wouldnt take me to a raid or invite me to a raiding guild because i was ret i would respond with: "i will be one of your top dps and live in 99% of boss fights". And then i would go into his raid and bust my ass to prove them wrong, and sure enough i would be one of the top (would even get whispered that they were sorry they doubted me). So if i was in your shoes i would of said: yes im a woman, and watch me destroy you and win this bg.

    In short what im trying to say is people are stupid and they assume things without even giving someone a shot, they judge a book by its cover. Report dicks that whispered you, dont let it get you down and prove them wrong. Show them you are a good player, and make them eat their words when you destroy them in that bg by being the best dps, healer, flag caper or what ever you got to be to be the MVP of the team.
    The OP said this was the worst experiences in 6+ years, so most of this is not helpful: (1) Your anecdotes do not overwrite how distressing the situation was; (2) reporting them does absolutely nothing, suspensions cause hatred toward Blizzard, not reflections on behavior; (3) the last paragraph is almost certainly already known to the OP.

    Pithy sayings and a quick pat on the back do not do justice.

    @OP What you went through is completely horrid. Being male, I have not faced that kind of aggression or sexism, but as a human, I feel sympathy toward you and rage toward them. May you find a group that appreciates your skill.

  11. #111
    Wow, those must've been the smartest guys in arenas EVER!

    You can clearly see how they have learnt to attack their own weakest player to assure their victo...wait a minute....

    I'm getting the idea that those players aren't the smartest ones around. The only thing that made their group weaker was their reaction to a girl.
    How stupid do you need to be to attack your own members without them actually doing anything wrong so far?

    O well...I hope your ignore list wasn't full yet.

  12. #112
    From my 10 years of mmo experience I can say that I don't have a problem with girl gamers in PUGs but in my guild I follow a strict "no females" policy. This is not because I dislike women or thing they are worse gamers but because I know their mere existence will disrupt the guilds social structure, through no fault of their own, but because some guys will no longer be able to act rationally with a girl in voice/guildchat.

    This might be sexist and unfair against females because its the guys that are stupid, but for me its a numbers game. I can't have a guild of mostly females because of numbers and mixing a few females with a lot of males is a recipe for desaster so it's a sausage party.

  13. #113
    I am Murloc! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    5,995
    Battleground heroes being assholes, more news at 11.

    I don't think I've ever been in a BG that didn't have at least one asshole in it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arwald View Post
    From my 10 years of mmo experience I can say that I don't have a problem with girl gamers in PUGs but in my guild I follow a strict "no females" policy. This is not because I dislike women or thing they are worse gamers but because I know their mere existence will disrupt the guilds social structure, through no fault of their own, but because some guys will no longer be able to act rationally with a girl in voice/guildchat.

    This might be sexist and unfair against females because its the guys that are stupid, but for me its a numbers game. I can't have a guild of mostly females because of numbers and mixing a few females with a lot of males is a recipe for desaster so it's a sausage party.
    What is the maturity level of the average player in your guild? That of a 13 year old?
    Last edited by muto; 2013-10-08 at 07:01 AM.

  14. #114
    A similar thing happened to me:

    I was doing a flexible raid (14 people total) where the other 13 players were all girls. We all joined mumble and as soon as we started checking mics and they figured out I was a guy, all hell broke loose. "Oooh we have a bad boy here", "Yeah a boy, no grown man plays games", "He is probably drooling because we are all gals, searching for the kleenex... ewww...". This was rather disturbing, but I decided to continue on and prove them that I am not just some perv boy on the internet and I can indeed raid.

    So we start killing Immerseus and I am doing really well killing the shadow blobs on my undead frost mage (killing like 4 at a time on my own) but then in the later stages we start dying to AOE, because they didn't heal the water blobs. So as any good raid member should, I mention what went wrong - "I think DPS was really solid but healers need to heal the blobs or we gonna die to AOE", and that is where they started viciously attacking me:

    "Oh here he is, the DPS bad boy, thinking he is better than the girls"
    "Yeah trying to compensate for your small penis with your big DPS numbers?"
    "You may top the dmg meters, but you sure ain't topping no girl in your life"
    "Typical guy, never plays a healer, always DPS, but teaches others how to play"
    "He's an undead mage, probably so greasy long-haired metal-head in real life, hahaha"

    I was SHOCKED. I did great DPS, wanted to give some advice but they shunned me because I was a guy. This was really painful, because I didn't choose to be a man, that's just what I happened to be born as. I should have left when I realized they were sexist in the begining and there were 13 of them - the devil's number. They kicked me out of the raid with the words - "Move out of your Mom's basement, get a construction job, you're not a boy anymore to play games"

    Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? Damn I feel horrible, makes me want to cry.
    Last edited by Windwalker; 2013-10-08 at 06:44 AM.

  15. #115
    Scarab Lord ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Front Range Free Zone
    Posts
    4,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    People were mean on the internet?!? Quick, what is the number to all the newspapers in the world!

    Sarcasm aside - Toughen up, realize that assholes will be everywhere(me included with my initial statement), and just learn to ignore all that shit.
    Request granted.
    Since 9/11 the NSA has spent at least $70,000,000,000 while lying about their own effectiveness. Even if we sweep aside the extensive lawbreaking, ethical problems, economic damage, and abuse of power, the fact remains that the NSA makes us all less secure, running useless mass surveillance, with a handful of successes in other questionably legal programs.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Faceless people are assholes. So are teenagers. And so are competitive gamers. Unfortunately you're just likely to run into all three of them doing RBGs or Arena.
    People are assholes in person too, billionaires are assholes, foreign leaders are assholes...Not just gamers....


    Just a side note: 1800-2200 rbgs? That is a REALLY big rating difference. If you don't like sexism in pug rbgs...don't pug rbgs?

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

    I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

    This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

    I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

    This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    Almost every time I try to set up an RBG with oQueue, I run into this. They get kicked from the group instantly though, because I don't tolerate socially awkward pigs (Which most PvPers are, sadly..).

    While you might want to "Prove them wrong" or whatever, I wouldn't bother. People that act like this don't have the mental capacity to grasp when they've been put in their place.

    Just leave, and find a better group.

  18. #118
    Bloodsail Admiral Snaige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,114
    I've received a ton of bad stuff myself, nothing about my skills yet, well, so far at least
    Generally I avoid talking on pug vent if I can, unless some ability really HAS to be called out, or I dc or something.

    Worst I've gotten was probably when I had to leave a raid earlier and said so, then a guy said: You women should be tied to radiators and beaten so you won't leave.
    I believe he meant it jokingly but wasn't funny at all to me <.<

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    A similar thing happened to me:

    I was doing a flexible raid (14 people total) where the other 13 players were all girls. We all joined mumble and as soon as we started checking mics and they figured out I was a guy, all hell broke loose. "Oooh we have a bad boy here", "Yeah a boy, no grown man plays games", "He is probably drooling because we are all gals, searching for the kleenex... ewww...". This was rather disturbing, but I decided to continue on and prove them that I am not just some perv boy on the internet and I can indeed raid.

    So we start killing Immerseus and I am doing really well killing the shadow blobs on my undead frost mage (killing like 4 at a time on my own) but then in the later stages we start dying to AOE, because they didn't heal the water blobs. So as any good raid member should, I mention what went wrong - "I think DPS was really solid but healers need to heal the blobs or we gonna die to AOE", and that is where they started viciously attacking me:

    "Oh here he is, the DPS bad boy, thinking he is better than the girls"
    "Yeah trying to compensate for your small penis with your big DPS numbers?"
    "You may top the dmg meters, but you sure ain't topping no girl in your life"
    "Typical guy, never plays a healer, always DPS, but teaches others how to play"
    "He's an undead mage, probably so greasy long-haired metal-head in real life, hahaha"

    I was SHOCKED. I did great DPS, wanted to give some advice but they shunned me because I was a guy. This was really painful, because I didn't choose to be a man, that's just what I happened to be born as. I should have left when I realized they were sexist in the begining and there were 13 of them - the devil's number. They kicked me out of the raid with the words - "Move out of your Mom's basement, get a construction job, you're not a boy anymore to play games"

    Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? Damn I feel horrible, makes me want to cry.
    Seems like this would be a good place to leave these:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqTvdz7mv7c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eAYUHC7E4A

    It's kinda like what that guy wrote, only funny.

  20. #120
    Warchief Kivimetsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    A fascistic nightmare...
    Posts
    2,165
    lol pvp is always like this, its full of little retards that think they can talk shit but irl they're nothing, so because they're extremely insecure about there pathetic social lives they take it out on whoever they can online, its hilarious.
    At least PvE isn't always like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •