Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Thumbs down Extreme sexism in pug RBGs

I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?

inb4 allegations of rape

Contribute constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-10-08 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i do pugs all the time for RBGs (like 7 times a week) and often when there is a female someone does make some stupid joke but most of the time no one really says anything about it
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Deleted
    Wow what a bunch of idiots. people think because we're girls we can't play. I also get the type that flirts with me 24/7 and in the end i have to put many people on ignore. But in your situation I've never experienced something as harsh as that. I'm a very shy quite person and if i had someone shouting at me like how you described i would be so upset aswell

I've also got in the past "Why are you playing wow when you should be in the kitchen" I lol'd but yeah. xD

ah baw everyone was so mean :'(

Deal with it. Played this game since Vanilla with some tards who'd often try that with me, I'd simply play better than them and make them shut their filthy mouth.

People are assholes (see above), try not to worry about it. Sounds like you were incredibly unlucky, but... where was your "friend" in all this? Next time go with your gut and quit on the first sign, save yourself some shit.

Thanks guys, it just happened so I felt compelled to share it and see if I was just unlucky.. My friend didn't say a word, after I went offline he messaged me saying he was sorry and that he didn't have a mic or something. :/ And yeah I also try to ignore it and prove people wrong but sometimes, like this time, I didn't get the chance to!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Wow what a bunch of idiots. people think because we're girls we can't play. I also get the type that flirts with me 24/7 and in the end i have to put many people on ignore. But in your situation I've never experienced something as harsh as that. I'm a very shy quite person and if i had someone shouting at me like how you described i would be so upset aswell

I've also got in the past "Why are you playing wow when you should be in the kitchen" I lol'd but yeah. xD
    LOL yeah! That kitchen one I've heard a billion times! :P

Deleted
    I don't approve of their behavior a single iota, but you should try and figure out some ways that you can handle this better. Proving yourself would have been the perfect thing to do... but you just reaffirmed their beliefs. Is it their fault for instigating? hell yea. Should you have left the call immediately? Absolutely not! Women aren't who they are today because they ran from tough situations.

Try to figure out ways of handling it, and surround yourself with friends who will tell them to shut their mouths and link their Glad cheeevs if they want permission to speak...

People were mean on the internet?!? Quick, what is the number to all the newspapers in the world!

Sarcasm aside - Toughen up, realize that assholes will be everywhere(me included with my initial statement), and just learn to ignore all that shit.

Down with the patriarchy!

r-right?

Deleted
    This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    In this thing, lets call it "video-game life" there's sometimes people that are unfriendly, and most people that are unfriendly group up like birds migrating over the seasons. So my suggestion would be to avoid, or simply, as I do; STOP CARING SO DAMN MUCH. There's nothing cooler than a female pvper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like just a bad group filled with jerks. My boyfriend does randoms all the time with some friends (one of which is a girl) and they have never run into that issue before. Sorry you had a bad experience

I'm sorry that someone acted like that towards you... if it makes you feel better there are mature people out there who know better than to act like that. Sometimes I resent being a guy because of history and because of stereotypes >_<. But I guess we all live with that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, some people are total asses. I've never done pug RBGs, so haven't had to experience anything like that thankfully. I'd recommend to join a pvp guild and do RBGs with people that you are comfortable to play with. Less mistakes then, even though everyone makes mistakes. Unless you're not a human.

Lmao XD

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Deleted
    I also get the type that flirts with me 24/7
    Greetings m'lady. Would you care to grab a dish of supper and afterwards participate in the viewing of a motion picture together some time?

But seriously, I see these kind of socially awkward people everywhere. Despite the increase of female gamers (or perhaps, more prominent female audience), guys still act like it is a rare occasion to encounter a girl online. From a guy pov: Don't really bear them any mind. Just interact with them as you would with any other person in your life and if they give you shit, give them shit back.

Generally these sexist comments are made to establish dominance of some kind, whether it is towards the other men in the group or over you. If you can hold your own versus them, most of the time they'll be taken aback. To be fair, if a guy makes such comments, he should expect that ball be thrown back at him.
    And this isn't advise for just women, basically anyone can do this.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2013-10-08 at 02:24 AM.

I wouldn't worry, you meet shit people everywhere.

i hate to break it to you, but video gamers are notorious for their extreme sexism. ignore those losers. turn off the mic and enjoy the game. you don't need to prove anything to stupid douchebags that you're already way better than anyways.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Faceless people are assholes. So are teenagers. And so are competitive gamers. Unfortunately you're just likely to run into all three of them doing RBGs or Arena.

Whatever you do, keep your cool. Lashing back will make you look worse to them.

I'd of said either:
    "Don't worry guys, I'm not here to argue sense into sexists. It's futile."

And leave it at that. Don't flinch at any comment from there on forward.

or, if you really can't deal with it:
    "This group will go nowhere with this attitude. Later shit for brains."

Then leave and forget. Don't let them get a rise out of you if they continue to harass you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree that it was a rather self-fulfilling prophecy. You let their dumb ass remarks get to you and then missed an important notice, messing up and then they called you out on it. They are morons, though, to not at least give you a chance in the first place. They are contributing to the toxicity of the multiplayer community.