Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are just insecure dickless wonders scared to death that a girl is going to show them up. It would not have mattered how good you were, you would have been crucified for the smallest error where they write their mistakes off as 'lag spikes' or 'mic malfunction'.

If they start bitching you out just tell them to STFU you were painting your toenails. That or find yourself a couple of kickass girls to run with and make sure you let them know you're female when you destroy them.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No it's not lol.
    But it is, if you see how sports teams condition then you'd know. People still has the potential to outlast anyone though, just not everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Well I hope you reported the ones that whispered to you, I would have tried to lure them all into insulting me in WoW chat so I could report them all.
    This has always worked for me. Anger always consumes them; even better after a Blizzard GM gives them a warning.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2013-10-08 at 02:55 AM.

Deleted
    The correct behaviour:
    Talk shit back. Call them out about rating if they open their mouths, most loudmouths are tards and can be easily put in place with that.
    He claims you were pushed? Ask him if that means he had neither friends nor skill to reach your rating. Agressive countering wins you points here.

Btw getting flamed when you lose a game is normal at higher rating. Anyone gets trashed if he loses the team a game. The groups that stay calm and focused are rather rare
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2013-10-08 at 02:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Greetings m'lady. Would you care to grab a dish of supper and afterwards participate in the viewing of a motion picture together some time?
    Holy hell, I'm stealing that first line.
    As long as you give me credit and phone numbers, I don't mind :3

OT: Immy, glad I have helped you

Yea they sounded like they were being dicks, but thats really nothing new.

Much as you probably don't want to hear it, I would say get over it. Being called "fag" or "bitch" or whatever is pretty much an every bg/rbg thing and I literally don't even hear it. You either have 2 options imo:
    1) Ignore them and just play normally. Dont let it get to you or they win.
    2) You say you have a glad title, I would be like: "As bad as you think I am, I know what I'm doing trust me." and link your title. If they still talk shit like "OMG she paid for it" or stupid shit like that just talk shit back. Honestly a little shit talking back and forth is how I met most of the arena friends I have now, at least its entertaining. Im usually open to shutting people down like if they talk shit mid-game when I am focusing I would say: "Hey Im actually trying to win here so shut up".

Then again, I am not a girl so my advice probably sucks but take it or leave it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.
    You have played the game for 6+ years and are shocked that people (immature, competitive and anonymous males) can be mean on the Internet?

This may be the therapist in me, but I have to wonder what you are here to validate in creating this thread and engaging this discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I just had the worst WoW experience of my life, after playing the game for 6+ years.

I was invited to a 1800-2.2k rbg group by my friend. I do fear speaking in Skype with randoms as I've experienced sexism many times in pvp on WoW. They did a mic check, and I was hesitating on speaking, but in the end I spoke and they all found out that I was a girl. Now, I'm not low-rated or anything; I have Gladiator and am currently 2.1k rated and I do not expect to get carried by anyone. But the first thing they said upon finding out I was a girl was, "Oh, it's a girl. We're going to lose" "Don't want to carry some dumb bitch" and some mimicking of my voice ensued. And of course, I was very shocked and taken aback.

This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose. I had 3 people yelling at me calling me retarded, stupid and worst of all, "she's a girl she can't listen for shit". I had one of them whispering me calling me retarded and an idiot and I was trying to defend myself, saying that I accidentally wasn't listening because everyone was being so mean. I got kicked from the call and I promptly left the group in the middle of the bg.

I really should have left at the first hint of sexism but I wanted so badly to prove them wrong, and only made things worse.

This is the first pug rbg I've done and it's made me very afraid to do any more. Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    eh dont give them much thought. Assholes are everywhere. Not everyone is like that. We have a whole troop of girls in our guild [and honestly scared to death from some of them]. One has been our main tank since togc lol. The other is a spectacular paladin healer with all gold challenge modes and one really good priest healer.

I dont pvp much so cant say on that, but as per the examples above and from what i have seen, i can safely say being a girl doesnot mean you arent skilled at all.

I havent come across anything aimed at me personally, but I have seen others act this way. Thankfully not a majority. Just that the minority that does act like this is fairly loud.

Shrug it off, dont let the fools get to you.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Whatever you do, keep your cool. Lashing back will make you look worse to them.

I'd of said either:
    "Don't worry guys, I'm not here to argue sense into sexists. It's futile."

And leave it at that. Don't flinch at any comment from there on forward.

or, if you really can't deal with it:
    "This group will go nowhere with this attitude. Later shit for brains."

Then leave and forget. Don't let them get a rise out of you if they continue to harass you.
    Those responses seem a lot like they got a rise off you. By insulting them you are only perpetuating their anger. They might not be able to take out on you but they will on other people and the cycle continues.

Most likely their negative reaction is a result of a female wronging them in the past and since then they have built a negative image for all females. By insulting them you only perpetuate the imagine said person has in his or her mind.

Instead you can try and be nice and refrain from being offended because in reality their is nothing to be offended about. A more mature response would be "Im sorry you feel that way I will leave" if they dont like like you chances are its not gonna work out anyways.

or you can try and make it work and say "im sorry if I offended you, I promise im a good player" apologizing sincerely is most important because it gets people to let their guard down and embrace you in a positive light. Even if you have nothing to apologize about the bully in question clearly feels you do. By agreeing with him you can often times get him to realize how ridiculous his views are.

But judging by your particular situation the guys in question didnt mean as much harm as you think. In fact im sure they would have changed their attitude if you had helped them win.

From what I can tell most likely their negative attitude towards you was due to jealousy and bitter resentment. You mentioned a friend im guessing this "friend" is most likely a guy and the other guys might have gotten the idea that hes just tagging you along so he can get in your pants. So they probably assumed you had no real skill and they were just a means to and end. That end being getting some douche laid. This is most likely the case especially since you relied on your friend to make this connection instead of on your own merit. If you would have provided actual value I am almost certain they would be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagoex View Post
    You have played the game for 6+ years and are shocked that people (immature, competitive and anonymous males) can be mean on the Internet?

This may be the therapist in me, but I have to wonder what you are here to validate in creating this thread and engaging this discussion.
    Oh no I'm not shocked that they can be mean, I'm shocked that they can be so sexist and rude towards a random who has done nothing wrong! I think anyone would be shocked if abuse spewed out of 3 different people as soon as merely your voice is heard. I'm not good at dealing with these situations so I wondered if I could get help, and possibly help others if they ever encounter a situation like this because it's actually very distressing, and I'm sure not every girl (or guy!) will be outspoken and able to brush it all off.

I'm really, really grateful to those who offered advice!
    Last edited by Immy; 2013-10-08 at 03:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never seen anything like that and I have pvped and raided with many many females. Maybe it is different on Aussie realms. People don't seem to give a flying fuck what sex you are.

Anyway I think you are lying. I think you made this thread and made all that up just to start a controversy. And to add I bet you are a dude.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I disagree entirely. Its hard for people to focus or play well when someone has a couple of toxic players scrutinizing their every move. Its like trying to paint a masterpiece with someone standing behind you criticizing your every brushstroke. Of course you're going to make a shitty painting.
    In my experience people do that no matter who you are, especially if you're in a serious group. Unless you're #1 in your class someone will always be calling you out for some error, even if said error is imaginary. Unless (as I said) you find a group and consistently run with them, this'll happen a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

from your description they sounded like just a bunch of douchey 12 year olds, just ignore little shits like them, everything they say doesnt matter in the slightest until they can learn to be mature

So they had low expectations and you performed exactly how they thought you would. Alternatively you could've just listened and played well and they would've seen that you were better than they thought you would be, probably would've changed their opinions.

I hate girls who lead you on making you think they got feelings for you just so you can give them stuff then they throw you in the ditch.

Consider that sexism if you want but its reality. 80% of females I've talked to in WoW are like that.

Any group of people takes their queue from a leader. In WoW that is usually the group leader, although sometimes the person who is the current group leader is not the social leader. Either way you need to identify the group leader's disposition and character. If the leader either directly is toxic, or allows highly toxic behavior to go on under their nose then it's likely the group will continue to be toxic. That's the time to thank them for the invite but you would rather not play with a group that acts that way. You cannot fix a group's attitude. What you do have control over is yourself though. In the future then try and find leader's who understand basic respect and then return to their groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    Have any of you girls or guys out there had any experiences/witnessed something like this or was I just incredibly unlucky?
    Lets just say I play... elsewhere. Doesn't really exist there and would not be tolerated (which makes it kinda pathetic that it can just keep happening where you are)... I do not envy people who have to put up with that crap.

I mean really, gonna lose because a girl is there?? How rude. I suppose you could have informed them that of course they are absolutely right you all would lose, but only because they're so concerend over you being a girl and can't stop acting stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No it's not lol.
    Don't be delusional. You've been fed that much female empowerment bs through modern day media that you forget where you stand. Physiologically a peak female does not stand up to a peak male IN THE SLIGHTEST. Get that through your head. Weaker bones, smaller and less muscle fibres, slower aerobic metabolism and extreme differences in upper and lower body strength. GET REAL.

From a gaming perspective and from my own personal experience most female players do not have the reaction speeds to compete at the top level. They panic much easier than male players, have lower attention spans and cannot handle constructive criticism well. Generally speaking, women do not possess the same mental toughness that males do. I'm sorry but no one will convince me otherwise of that. The OP's post is just clear cut proof of this. Instead of accepting that shit happens and that was a bad experience she comes on here to cry and complain about it and garner support from random people. I am sick to death of people trying to equalize everyone. People are not all equal. They excel in some areas and underperform in others its just the way it goes. Having said that I don't condone bullying of any sort. Those people in the rbg talking shit might be right but they don't need to belittle someone in a public forum.

Please don't make huge generalizations based on sex.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2013-10-08 at 02:15 PM.

They were all probably just jerks with commitment issues and decide to drive every girl away because they know they don't have a chance at ending up with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Faceless people are assholes. So are teenagers. And so are competitive gamers. Unfortunately you're just likely to run into all three of them doing RBGs or Arena.
    Stereotyping in a thread about dealing with female gamer stereotypes. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodgela View Post
    Don't be delusional. You've been fed that much female empowerment bs through modern day media that you forget where you stand. Physiologically a peak female does not stand up to a peak male IN THE SLIGHTEST. Get that through your head. Weaker bones, smaller and less muscle fibres, slower aerobic metabolism and extreme differences in upper and lower body strength. GET REAL.

From a gaming perspective and from my own personal experience most female players do not have the reaction speeds to compete at the top level. They panic much easier than male players, have lower attention spans and cannot handle constructive criticism well. Generally speaking, women do not possess the same mental toughness that males do. I'm sorry but no one will convince me otherwise of that. The OP's post is just clear cut proof of this. Instead of accepting that shit happens and that was a bad experience she comes on here to cry and complain about it and garner support from random people. I am sick to death of people trying to equalize everyone. People are not all equal. They excel in some areas and underperform in others its just the way it goes. Having said that I don't condone bullying of any sort. Those people in the rbg talking shit might be right but they don't need to belittle someone in a public forum.
    This wasn't the point of the thread. I never denied that there are gender differences. There are gender differences, and yes, girls tend to be more sensitive in general than guys. I am also quite shy and so I can't take being yelled at like that. The point of the thread was to discuss and share opinions on how this can be dealt with better and whether or not it is a common issue.

The point is, sometimes girls get verbally abused due to pure gender alone on games. People may not be equal, but that doesn't make it right to stereotype an entire gender and then abuse them based on the stereotype. It's very frustrating because there ARE great female players. We don't have to accept that shit like this happens. Having randoms abuse you based on gender ALONE is NOT acceptable. It still isn't acceptable for someone to abuse a 'bad player' no matter what gender but at least it's understandable.
    Last edited by Immy; 2013-10-08 at 03:51 AM.