Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sexism on the internet? Oh wow, what else is new? And you actually proved their point, lol. "This caused me to be completely quiet throughout the game and I ended up not paying attention to their calls. I missed their call on asking me to peel back from the flag and then all hell went loose." - of course you'll be called retarded and stupid after that. So meh. Learn to either endure this or talk back/stand your ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Wow what a bunch of idiots. people think because we're girls we can't play. I also get the type that flirts with me 24/7 and in the end i have to put many people on ignore. But in your situation I've never experienced something as harsh as that. I'm a very shy quite person and if i had someone shouting at me like how you described i would be so upset aswell

I've also got in the past "Why are you playing wow when you should be in the kitchen" I lol'd but yeah. xD
    Makes me kinda sad. We have a few women in our guild and none of them feel the need to be quiet, makes me sad when we get pugs or new members that are female and they don't speak up because of experiences with idiots. Just gotta keep searching for the right group, I know it took me a while to find my current guild but it was worth it. Now I couldn't give a damn what some random asshole whispers me, I know my guild has my back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by elmachino View Post
    50% of all pvpers (well maybe all players) are immature fucks. Just find some more pugs and if they are gonna be all douchy just leave.

Girls can be great player, one of the best healers we have had in our guild was a girl. She was healing for us for about half a year until she went all dramaqueen and left
    Maybe I haven't met enough of them but my experience with PVPers is similar, so many of them are immature. I doubt they even mean most of the shit they say, they just say it for shock value and "HURR DURR I TROLL YEWWWWW"

Deleted
    I (a girl too) have been a raid and guild leader for some time. When new raiders joined the guild, I made sure I didn't speak to them on teamspeak until we were actually in the raid. One of my officers handled recruitment interviews. Most of the times they would be surprised to find a girl leading, but once we started downing bosses, gender didn't matter anymore.

I do have the feeling that to be recognized as a female in this male-filled (gaming) world, you have to do things either much better than them or be a bit silly and "cute". (This is just how I feel about it!)

I've never had something similiar happening to me as OP described, but I did have a pug wiping when I said something during a try for the first time. All were stunned or something xP

Deleted
    Wow, really? We have several girls in my guild, including my sister and a friend I've been playing with for years, there have been several (at least 10) girls in past guilds aswell and I have _never_ experienced a toxic atmosphere against women in our chats except for a few cases, but they were, obviously, thrown out of the guild by our female officer faster than they could react to.

Sounds you were unlucky with the group. If I had been you, I probably just would've left, because I don't like playing with assholes.

Best thing you could do though is just ignore them and ignore the comments. You were unfortunate not to listen, since that fueled them, but if you instead would've ignored that, you could've shown them that you actually wasn't bad.

The risk of sexist comments would still linger though, since they sound like assholes regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    I do have the feeling that to be recognized as a female in this male-filled (gaming) world, you have to do things either much better than them or be a bit silly and "cute". (This is just how I feel about it!)
    Sadly, I have to agree with you. My sister is the opposite of the "silly and cute" type girl when she's playing, she's like an actual normal person. This is hard for some people to take in, so they assume she's not very good at all. When she finally destroys them in PvE, they start to get some "gamer respect" for her.

That said; People are still polite to her though, I haven't met a lot of people that are like the typical douchebags the OP describes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    Girl, you need to grow a thicker skin. And I tell this to you as another female.

If harmless stuff like this manages to throws you off so much that you can't concentrate anymore and you're going to miss calls because of that, thus not being able to perform... you're quite in for something later in your life. Because these kind of jerks still exist outside of the game. They are very rare, but they still do exist. And you need to be able to handle/ignore it.

It's like back in kindergarten with guys like that. They put on a big show because of the girl. Some try to impress her, others get mean. Just do your thing (and be GOOD at it) and shut them up that way.
    I don't think you understand how bad it was. This wasn't your average shit-talking, it was full-blown harassment and very loud yelling. I have a fairly thick skin, how else would I have gotten to such a high rating? I've encountered lots of idiots along the way already. I could not do my thing in that Skype call, and certainly not after being kicked from the call.

Anyway, all the advice on how to deal with these situations were really helpful to me and I'm sure others who've read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojumonkey View Post
    I don't approve of their behavior a single iota, but you should try and figure out some ways that you can handle this better. Proving yourself would have been the perfect thing to do... but you just reaffirmed their beliefs. Is it their fault for instigating? hell yea. Should you have left the call immediately? Absolutely not! Women aren't who they are today because they ran from tough situations.

Try to figure out ways of handling it, and surround yourself with friends who will tell them to shut their mouths and link their Glad cheeevs if they want permission to speak...
    You're allowed to be a dick if you've been a glad?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

It has been before, and it will be said again.

Men tend to have better eye/hand coordination. Expect men to ignore women when it involves something that basic.

PS: If you know you will be targeted because of your gender, you could always change the pitch of your voice with software. Better sound like an 11 year old.

So, you spoke up on a microphone and immediately got harassed for being a girl? Completely unprovoked, just for being a female? Give me a goddamn fucking break. If anything, those nerds would be sucking up to you for being a female.

I've played this game for 6 years. Have raided + pvp'd with many girls in the group. Have not ONCE seen anything like this. I think OP is just another one of those "OMG I'm a girl gamer, pay attention to me" drama queens who got called out on her bullshit when she tried to play the gender card and it blew up in her face. Hence, this thread where she seeks support for being discriminated against.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2013-10-08 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

Men tend to have better eye/hand coordination. Expect men to ignore women when it involves something that basic.

PS: If you know you will be targeted because of your gender, you could always change the pitch of your voice with software. Better sound like an 11 year old.
    MEN....... MEN don't talk down to women. MEN respect them. If anything, real men are either respectfully polite, or at best/worst a little bit flirtatious.
    A man who has all his things in order doesn't resort to behaviors that are described in this thread and op example.

What we dealing with in the game is troves of immature, sometimes ugly, bitter failures in life that hide themselves behind a video game, to deflect from the rejection they experience from females, and their surroundings because they simply outright suck in real life.
    They are female haters, because as hard as it sounds, they can't get laid. Or - of course - they aren't old enough for it just yet. They have nothing to hold onto, or to show outside the game. The game is their only way to prove to themselves how awesome they are. When in reality they are not.
    Because it doesn't matter how one can direct a few pixels around in a video game. That's a "skill" with no value whatsoever.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-10-08 at 11:11 AM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    lol who carried u to glad

Please post constructively
    Last edited by Arlee; 2013-10-08 at 02:06 PM.

Deleted
    What a bunch of idiots. On my realm one of the best pvpers is a woman.

This stuff happens all the time.

Its a shame but only thing you can do is ignore punks like these. One day they will grow up the hard way.

15+ Year Old Account
    I found that this particular problem is largely related due to girls being so incredibly held back and respond poorly to anonymous types.
    Too fast do they feel attacked and pushed, resulting in people pushing in deeper to get to them for a response; this quickly becomes nasty.

Ignoring them by being silent is making them want more from you, the moment you fight back is when you can push them away.
    If you don't then this will happen again and again in a vicious cycle until the point where you seek help on a gaming forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    While this reigns mostly true with physical activities, there haven't been enough studies on it when it comes to playing video games; It's vastly out dated, considering the advancement of the technology that we now use.

Of the few studies that have been done (when it comes to men vs. women in video games), it shows that men's reward regions in the brain are stimulated more than women's are when they play.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/daily...ain/index.html
    Motivation plays a big role in how skilled you become, and if there's anything males are motivated to do then it is to show the world that they are better than you are, even if they have to be seen as obnoxious assholes to do it.

While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

And that justifies misogynistic behavior... How? lol

While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread.
    I wonder how your mother feels about that statement.

Sexist people are weak and disappointing.

Who cares what gender someone is, it's the player that counts. Unfortunately, people will find any excuse to harass others as long as they can hide themselves behind their avatar.

Also "tough guys" on the Internet who tell you to "deal with it" make me laugh. It's just a shallow front they're putting up to shield their incredibly weak minds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Also "tough guys" on the Internet who tell you to "deal with it" make me laugh. It's just a shallow front they're putting up to shield their incredibly weak minds.
    Everything has an extreme. You are describing one here.
    In return I would say that you are ignorant to the fact that most of the time girls don't even try to stand up for themselves and hide behind a muted mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?
    As a woman, I often find this to be true. But it spans both genders as well.

It's a personality type, that may or may not be found in one gender more than the other. It was practically beat out of me as a competitive athlete at young age. I think a lot of mental conditioning happens when you're young, and that's what shapes how we deal with these sorts of situations.

I've been in similar situations in PvE, where people wanted to kick me from a pug because I'm a chick. I just say "You could, but then you'd lose a good healer." or "Piss me off, and I'll really show you something".

The latter being my life motto.

OP, I'm sorry people suck. Apparently the higher powers are trying to hotfix it but they haven't come up with a solution. In the mean time, just show them up and let your actions speak louder than anything you could say.

You have nothing to prove to some creeps and jerks on the internet. You only have something to prove to yourself.

PvP'ers in this game are absolute cancer.
    I honestly don't expect any of these idiots to be much of anything in real life.

And sadly - this is quite common.
    I've been doing RBG's this patch on and off and every single time my friend invites me to a group there's some autistic virgin who starts up some crap about me "being a little boy" and snips left and right about being a girl and how we were going to lose because there was a girl.
    Straight up told my friend it went worse than the "boy" joke once more I'd be leaving mid match and letting them tank their MMR. It's luckily just stayed at the boy thing since. I think they realized I wasn't a carry pretty quick or something.

S12 I was stuck doing nothing but RBG's because I was on Proudmoore. Nobody there actually did arenas seriously outside capping so I had to pug my way up the ladder and the abuse just from /speaking/ was disgusting. I ended up leaving over half the groups I joined because of the amount of garbage 1700 players were spewing because "omg the girl's gonna want to get carried" despite me almost always being top damage in previous seasons as an arms warrior.
    Pretty sure I'm the one doing the carring at those piss-poor ratings when the mages and locks can't keep up.
    Oddly enough once I was playing with 2k+ teams it stopped - but I had enough by that point and just straight up stopped after I hard pushed.

I'm a 2200 player whose steadily around 1900-2100 MMR in any bracket I touch after one real season of PvPing (discounting 12 - Talking 13 here.). I'm solid. I don't have to deal with a bunch of losers who stroke their e-peens over RBG ratings and inflated season 2200's.

My skin is pretty thick; But it doesn't mean people should have to sit there and take it just because.
    I don't mind teasing - but there's a point where when it's more than that and there's a point where it's just straight up annoying. Supporting this behavior by just telling people to "grow a skin" is absolutely retarded.

I just prove the idiots wrong. They keep at it after I'm first or 2nd in their damage done while also pumping out as much CC as a warrior can? Enjoy your loss mid-match morons; I already got what I want from RBG's and just want Warbringer. I'll take the rating cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    While women seem more motivated to complain about stuff until somebody else fixes their problem for them... QED: this thread. Why prove them wrong then you can complain about it instead, and get what you want by having other people do it for you?
    I don't know about you, but I'm of the mind that I have to fix shit myself because nobody else is going to do it for me (or they do a half ass/shitty job of it when they do). I don't complain about it, I figure out what needs to be done and handle it.

I find that the men who have such low expectations/opinions of what women are capable of are often the ones that have never been in a relationship with one.

Now, granted, there are a lot of drama queens out there, but to judge all women as such based off the behavior of a few is as bad as calling all male gamers basement boy rejects: you guys hate that shit.
    Last edited by Chudah; 2013-10-08 at 01:08 PM.