View Poll Results: How likely do you think it is that Heroes of the Storm is EXP 5?

Voters
320. This poll is closed
  • 1 - Not at all.

107 33.44%
  • 2 - I'm not discounting the possibility.

90 28.13%
  • 3 - I'm uncertain, could go either way.

75 23.44%
  • 4 - Very likely.

28 8.75%
  • 5 - I am certain - it is the expansion.

20 6.25%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What ho all,

Welcome to my final thread arguing for the authenticity of Heroes of the Storm as the next WoW expansion. This one, I believe, has my strongest argument yet. I've previously mostly focused on trademark descriptions; and pointed out things like how 'mobile and tablets' is more likely to do with a mobile feature for WoW than anything to do with Blizzard All-Stars.
    Aehmm... this:

Names can and do change over time. Heroes of the Storm does make sense as a name for a MOBA game.

In the end, we just don't know what it is, but there's a lot of options currently.

Brilliant theory OP... if the Legion had actually been the ones responsible for the storms, or indeed the Sundering itself. But it wasn't caused by the Legion, it was caused by Malfurion. He tried to disrupt the summoning with his nature powers of naturey natureness, and ended up creating a Titan energy-fueled superstorm that nearly destroyed the world.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Very well written. Had a lot of fun reading your post, I hope this will be the name for the next expansion. It makes sense with what we have been doing in this continent and for the people that really takes the time to read the quests its a necessary path before an enormous challenge.

I expect Blizzard to deliver.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWilson View Post
    Aehmm... this:
    What do the numbers mean? Trademark category or something?

Also, what are the numbers for previous WoW expansions?

I noticed that Heroes of the Storm shares numbers with Reaper of Souls, apart from number 16 - which is again found on Cute But Deadly, which I believe is a series of children's books?

16 is for dead tree type written publications. Books, instruction booklets etc.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Op, you do realize that the storm that story refers to is the Sundering? This has been said before. ANd it blows my mind how someone can miss such a blatantly obvious thing.

I don't see why there has to be this sharp dividing line between an Aszhara xpac and a Legion invades Azeroth xpac.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=25404/i...st-us#comments

Exhibit A: The dialogue with Tyrus Blackhorn.
    Assuming there's a world left for your legion to conquer. The Twilight's Hammer seeks to destroy everything.
    Destroyed? Yes, that's possible. At night I am haunted with visions of this would being torn asunder from within. I feel neither sorrow nor rage. Merely... curiosity.

I served my master in exchange for power, (class). But those you fight... they strive for oblivion. A strange motivation.
    As you can see the agenda of The Burning Legion and the agenda of the Twilight Cult (and thus the Old Gods) is incompatible. Aszhara was the original introducer of the Legion to Azeroth. (or then Kalimdor rather) but when the sundering happened, and her and her followers found themselves drowning they pledged their allegiance to N'Zoth in order to survive.

The one thing Aszhara had but they both wanted is probably the Well of Eternity, which has now unfortunately imploded into a rift between Azeroth and the Emerald Dream. But the motivation of the third war Legion invasion was to destroy the World Tree and thereby claim the powers of the new well of eternity that was created after the sundering.

A direct assault failed the first time. But deep within the Maelstrom, likely guarded by N'Zoth lies the Rift of Aln. So theoretically the Legion might be after Aszhara in order to gain access to the dream and disrupt the world tree from within. This leaves Aszhara and N'Zoth as Azeroth's last hope, and they aren't exactly the most trustworthy frenemies.

Another unanswered question from Cataclysm is "Why didn't Deathwing destroy Stormwind?" We were briefly teased about that at the beginning of the xpac but then never looked back on it. But what if N'Zoth never intended for Deathwing to succeed? What if the Cataclysm itself was his end game, to get our attention. He spent multiple Millennia sitting down there. He was always very patient. Why would he suddenly throw together some desperate piecemeal attempt to bring about the Hour of Twilight? And when everybody was mobilized to stop Deathwing why wouldn't he also have Aszhara mobilize the Naga against Wyrmrest Temple to stop us? It just completely fails to fit N'Zoth's profile. All N'Zoth sent was a couple of those big tentacly "Twilight Mole Machines" (As I call them) and for all we know it was the Twilight cultists that summoned them.

Of course another unanswered question is "What the hell are those things?".

Either half of Blizzard's story writing department was on vacation for Cataclysm, or there's more to the Cataclysm that meets the eye.

The final unanswered question comes from the End Time instance. Originally the question starts out as "If Deathwing succeeded in this future, why does his lifeless corpse lay impaled ontop of Wyrmrest temple?" The answer I got was because N'Zoth needed all the dragon aspects dead to bring about the Hour of Twilight, and that's a good answer. And we're also told that it is 'just one possible future'. But the dead Deathwing question segways into another question. How far after the Hour of Twilight are we in the future? Blood (Or lava, or lavablood or whatever you want to call it) still pours out of Deathwing's corpse. Is this just because it makes the whole scene look cooler? Or did Nozdormu witness something not long after the Hour of Twilight that shattered his very soul. And we were sent to deal with Muzorond before he would have the heart to talk about what he saw.

The Bronze Dragon Aspect carries out the duties appointed to him by the Titans.
    The Infinite Dragon Aspect, well everything the Infinite Dragonflight does, would seem to further the cause of the Legion. So whatever events followed the Hour of Twilight caused Nozdormu to not only invert his colours, but become a rogue agent of the Legion?

Something you also don't see in the End Time, is any sign of the Old Gods. Everything fleshy is gone. It would seem their end game is not only compatible with the Titan's end game, but it's one in the same.

So I might be getting way ahead of myself now, and going into the realm of Tinfoil hattery, but what if, while Sargeras wandered the twisting Nether slaying every Old God he could find, the rest Pantheon stayed behind because they had a dirty little secret to conceal. What if the reason Sargeras could never kill all of the Old Gods was because the Pantheon was making them? They corrupt and destroy all flesh, Sargeras goes and slays them, leaving behind lifeless worlds for the Titans to shape in their own image.

And what if something about Azeroth was different, and interacted with the Old Gods that were placed here, and caused them to go rogue? What we learn in Pandaria is that the Titans are prefectly capable of killing an Old God and locking its heart in a box. Yet Yogg'Saron was kept alive in Ulduar. People immediately give them an excuse for that, saying that killing the Old Gods would kill us too. But when you fight Algalon you find that that's what the Titans were planning to begin with, to kill us all and start over again.

Let's look at the order of events here:
    -We break through the defenses of Ulduar.
    -We beat up the keepers.
    -We "kill?" Yogg.
    -We find Algalon in his celestial panic room preparing to contact the Titans and tell them to come kill us.
    -We beat Algalon into submission, so he changes the message.
    -We wander off and go finish our Lich King campaign.
    -Deathwing Breaks out of Deepholme and tries to bring about the Hour of Twilight.

And I'm fairly sure Blizzard stated somewhere along the lines that as far as the timeline goes the Cataclysm occurred while we were wrapping things up in Northrend. Which almost seems like a strange and superfluous detail. So whatever caused Deathwing to go batshit crazy happened while we were in the middle of our Northrend adventure.

And then assuming all this talk of Ny'alotha isn't just an easter-egg.
    Ny'alotha is a city of old, terrible, unnumbered crimes...
    What could be so awful that it would make even an Old God speak of terrible crimes.

So voila. The Old Gods are a Titan bio-weapon. Something about Azeroth caused Old Gods to go rogue. And now the perfect storm is brewing as The Old Gods, the Titans and The Legion wage a free-for-all at the heart of the world. And we are just ants caught in the middle of it.

And the reason Deathwing ignored very obvious opportunities to just kill us all and finish his task was because the Titans were trying to get it all over with and bring about the Hour of Twilight, and N'Zoth was trying to get Deathwing to fail because N'Zoth would die along with everybody else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    And I'm fairly sure Blizzard stated somewhere along the lines that as far as the timeline goes the Cataclysm occurred while we were wrapping things up in Northrend. Which almost seems like a strange and superfluous detail. So whatever caused Deathwing to go batshit crazy happened while we were in the middle of our Northrend adventure.
    This is slightly mixed up on your end, the end of tBC occurs while we are heading to Northrend. Cataclysm happens a goodish amount of time after the Northrend campaign ends as Garrosh returns victorious from ICC and establishes himself as a figurehead of the Orcs.

Also, Deathwing was batshit crazy long before the established kingdoms even existed. He was just getting polished up.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Op, you do realize that the storm that story refers to is the Sundering? This has been said before. ANd it blows my mind how someone can miss such a blatantly obvious thing.
    I know, and it blows my mind how people persistently jump into the debate to point this out. I've never suggested, or even begun to hint at, that the Burdens of Shaohao is set in the present.

They are set during the Sundering, ten thousand years ago. Yes. We know. Everybody knows.

The discussion is about what happened during the story, and how it relates to what is happening, i.e. the Burning Legion invading and the one strong enough to oppose it taking a pilgrimage across Pandaria to cleanse himself of burdens which held him back. How some people don't see the obvious parallels between Pandaria's past and present is beyond me. Pandaria is a scroll of knowledge. A lesson. A philosophy. A guidebook on how to grow to reach your fullest potential, in order to withstand something as wicked, sinister, and powerful as the Burning Legion.

Emperor Shaohao very nearly did it. He clung on to one thing, Pride, so that we one day could undergo and complete the same physical and psychological journey. So that we could be prepared to face the Legion.
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2013-10-08 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    This is slightly mixed up on your end, the end of tBC occurs while we are heading to Northrend. Cataclysm happens a goodish amount of time after the Northrend campaign ends as Garrosh returns victorious from ICC and establishes himself as a figurehead of the Orcs.

Also, Deathwing was batshit crazy long before the established kingdoms even existed. He was just getting polished up.
    How long does it take to bolt a bunch of elementium plates to him? Because judging by how fast the Twilight workers are going in the Cataclysm intro they could have him all polished up and ready to go in an hour. But he waited down there for years.

EDIT: And I mean, my Titan, old god conspiracy theory is just me having some fun. But the fact is a legion invasion of Azeroth doesn't necessarily have to leave Aszhara out of it. The two plots could be intertwined.

EDIT2: Also, the top 3 most requested next Xpacs are probably Legion, Aszhara and Emerald Nightmare. And with WoW aging quickly making any one of those xpacs risks alienating 2/3rds of their remaining fanbase. So why not make all 3?
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-10-08 at 04:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    16 is for dead tree type written publications. Books, instruction booklets etc.
    I see. Strange how it isn't in the Reaper of Souls one.

So what are 41 and 9?

15+ Year Old Account
    While it makes sense, I think an expansion's name should tell more about what it's about, like all previous expansions have. So I doubt it's the name. Could be part of the name though. Maybe even a massive patch. World Of Warcraft: Skysunder - Heroes of the Storm

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I know this won't add to the thread at all...

but is anyone else baffled that Blizzard would name one of their games/expansion Heroes of the Storm (HotS) when they already have an expansion with the same acronym? (Heart of the Swarm - HotS).

Seems pointlessly confusing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoon View Post
    I know this won't add to the thread at all...

but is anyone else baffled that Blizzard would name one of their games/expansion Heroes of the Storm (HotS) when they already have an expansion with the same acronym? (Heart of the Swarm - HotS).

Seems pointlessly confusing to me.
    How would it be confusing?

Are you worried you will tell your guild mate that your alt isn't on "HotS" content yet, and they'll think that your alt was mysteriously transported to the Starcraft universe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Very well thought out an plausible analysis. I think at this point im almost certain that heros of the storm will be the next expansion. Everything from the time mop was announced and Chris Mehtzen claimed this expansion was merely the calm before the storm to the Burdens of Shaohao video's at this point it seems entirely plausible that heros of the storm is the next expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    While it makes sense, I think an expansion's name should tell more about what it's about, like all previous expansions have. So I doubt it's the name. Could be part of the name though. Maybe even a massive patch. World Of Warcraft: Skysunder - Heroes of the Storm
    Common mistake. People always say this when they learn of the next expansion's title. Same with Cataclysm, same with Mists of Pandaria.

It will make sense once you've seen the announcement on the stage of Blizzcon. Be glad that it doesn't make sense to you, that only means you have something interesting and unpredictable coming your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Deshow View Post
    Very well thought out an plausible analysis. I think at this point im almost certain that heros of the storm will be the next expansion. Everything from the time mop was announced and Chris Mehtzen claimed this expansion was merely the calm before the storm to the Burdens of Shaohao video's at this point it seems entirely plausible that heros of the storm is the next expansion.
    I agree. But as an honest debater, I must point out that Metzen wasn't referring to the next expansion when he said 'calm before the storm'. He was talking about the announcement trailer, and that our arrival on Pandaria would be the storm. But I suppose there is a slight chance that he also meant the future chaos coming hand-in-hand with the downfall of Garrosh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I agree. But as an honest debater, I must point out that Metzen wasn't referring to the next expansion when he said 'calm before the storm'. He was talking about the announcement trailer, and that our arrival on Pandaria would be the storm. But I suppose there is a slight chance that he also meant the future chaos coming hand-in-hand with the downfall of Garrosh.
    I rewatched the announcement just in case and it appears that you are wrong. In the announcement of mop Metzen paints a mental picture for us as can be seen in this video skip to 2:10

To those who didnt watch what he said is "The war that is coming between the alliance and the horde, picture it as a storm in the horizon. The video you are about to see, the land you are about to adventure through(pandaria), the land you are about to experience is much like the calm before that storm"

This clearly without a shadow of a doubt states that mists of pandaria is the calm before the storm in which the alliance and the horde will be caught up in a major war and that war will be the enemy.

Warcraft 3 anyone? this couldnt be more obvious

This in a war almost guarantees that the burning legion will be returning in the next expansion and in order to defeat it we must first defeat the war that plagues the alliance and the horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Deshow View Post
    To those who didnt watch what he said is "The war that is coming between the alliance and the horde, picture it as a storm in the horizon. The video you are about to see, the land you are about to adventure through(pandaria), the land you are about to experience is much like the calm before that storm"
    The storm was Garrosh. You know, a war between Alliance and Horde, which was like a storm on the horizon. You're ignoring half of your own quote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The storm was Garrosh. You know, a war between Alliance and Horde, which was like a storm on the horizon. You're ignoring half of your own quote.
    Thats ironic because you are the one ignoring your own post.

The war against Garrosh and his followers was a rebellion. A rebellion between the horde that disagrees with his policies and the horde that agrees. The alliance just helped the horde that favours an uprising. So no its not a war between the horde and the alliance its more like a war between Garrosh and everyone else.