Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Int gems for red sockets for Holy?

Was looking around today at Holy priests on logs and then checking out their armory and I noticed a number of the ranking Holy priests gemming pure 160 int gems for red sockets. What is the benefit of doing this over say an 80 int/160 spirit or 80int 160 mastery gem?

Deleted
    You get enough spirit from items

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on where your spirit is at, but if you are at a comfortable level (varies per individual/comp) then you start to maximize throughput via int. That's the basic logic.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

It's fairly obvious that when you're comfortable with your mana you probably shouldn't get more spirit, however, as I understand the original question a more specific version of it might be, is intellect better for holy priest throughput than, for example, mastery (e.g. pure int gems vs. int/mastery gem for red slots)? I would also like to see some input and or numbers on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intellect does more for the power of your spells than haste mastery or crit.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Intellect helps you dish out more burst compared to mastery which does tons of overhealing and it's a valid choice during heroic progression.

I'm even gemming int for disc and pretty happy about it.
    Last edited by Brightmist; 2013-10-03 at 02:19 AM.

Make friends with this website...

www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/healcalc.htm
    (there's a short "how to use" guide there also)

The creator is a poster here and also over at howtopriest, he's pretty quick to help if you have any questions.

Might also want to take a look at this Thread I made that had some stat weights in it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ighting-(Holy)

Crit is actually the best stat if you have Prismatic Prison of Pride for both specs.

Thanks for the replies. I am Holy 100% of the time in a 25m. I am running around 34% mastery unbuffed but use the mastery/int gems in red sockets. I am tempted to go pure int gems for burst if that’s the case since I am running with 2 resto shaman, 1 resto druid, and a ft disc and feel like I am doing god awful on the healing this time around. Not sure what Im doing wrong.

Anyway, thank you for the links and input everyone!

I feel exactly the same. My guild chooses to run 25 man with 7 healers and 2 disc priests. I bust my ass just to be 3rd on heals. Let me know if using those Into reds help you more. Weirdly enough askmrrobot suggests using it crit instead of straight int.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixall View Post
    Make friends with this website...

www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/healcalc.htm
    (there's a short "how to use" guide there also)

Site is dead

Wait..I am holy 24/7. We have a full time disc. What would I benefit regemming pure Crit? Im gemmed int/spi and/or int/mastery currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Site is dead
    S/he missed an l off the end of the link:
    http://www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/healcalc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Site is dead
    Sorry about that! Must have missed the "L" when I copy and pasted, lol. Thanks for the help Tyrant.

If you're swimming in mana then you want to gem out of Spirit and into Int/Mastery. Finding a balance of the 2 that best works for your raid, your healing composition and playstyles. I favor Mastery as it's almost always my #1 heal, but I clearly don't ignore Int either. It works well for me to somewhat blanket the raid (I had way too much spirit). Just my recommendation.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    Crit is actually the best stat if you have Prismatic Prison of Pride for both specs.
    Elaborate please Isheria!

This trinket improves crit healing by 9% (upgraded heroic), critting more means you get the most out of this trinket which benefits your echo of light as well while in addition provides extra throughput in the spells themselves while mastery simply bumps the hot that follows after your healing spell has landed.
    Having your actual spells crit 10% more often for example infact provides more healing than having your mastery hot buffed by 10% and significantly improve your burst healing as well.

I'm currently testing full crit build instead of mastery and the output is significantly increased over an equivalent mastery build because of the way the trinket, almost all healing spells and mastery interact with each other.

This trinket improves crit healing by 9% (upgraded heroic), critting more means you get the most out of this trinket which benefits your echo of light as well while in addition provides extra throughput in the spells themselves while mastery simply bumps the hot that follows after your healing spell has landed.
    Having your actual spells crit 10% more often for example infact provides more healing than having your mastery hot buffed by 10% and significantly improve your burst healing as well.

I'm currently testing full crit build instead of mastery and the output is significantly increased over an equivalent mastery build because of the way the trinket, almost all healing spells and mastery interact with each other.
    This smells of "Nerf" all over it.

Curious... I picked up a heroic PPoP this week... I might have to look into it next week for the farm heroic fights.

How has the testing been going? I've noticed you've been changing your gems/reforging around.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest