Poll: Which is better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Recount VS Skada

Which do you think is better, and why?

I've used recount since forever, but I've heard some good things about skada recently and have thought about switching. But often times the values the skada users in my raid group get are a lot different from the recount users. Is one of them inaccurate? Are they just different? If you have any insight, please share.

Both use different definitions.
    Neither is incorrect or wrong, since there is no proper or official measure.
    Recount is the more common, and so perhaps the more "accepted" but that does not make skada wrong.
    Do not rely on such meters for comparisons, and the numbers difference will then be meaningless.
    Use the one which provides the features you want, and use another source such as World of Logs for meaningful comparisons, which go beyond the simplified results of an in-game addon.

I prefer skada based simply off it causing less fps drop for me.

Deleted
    Always used recount before, but right it causes crazy fps drops in raids and such, so even if where to be more accurate or something like that, I aint say it would be worth it. (no clue if one of them are more accurate or not)

I've used Skada and Recount.

I found Skada to be a bit easier to configure to make it "pretty" in addition to being closer to my numbers from WoL.

I used recount up until Ragnaros in Firelands. It made me die too much from fps lag (arms warrior bladestorming the adds, with blood and thunder ticks, and all the other aoe in a 25m in that phase...then standing in fire unable to move). Switched to skada and no problems whatsoever. So I would rather go with skada.

However, I liked how recount could be a bit more precise, or at least easier to find, when determining stupid actions (took so many hits from x, rather than just total damage from x). For on-the-spot call-outs.
    Last edited by Kotori125; 2013-10-08 at 07:50 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I switched over to Skada maybe 4-5 months ago. Before that I had been a Recount user for many years.

Skada does miss some stuff I'd like to see, but overall I'm very happy with the switch and have no plans on changing back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Which do you think is better, and why?

I've used recount since forever, but I've heard some good things about skada recently and have thought about switching. But often times the values the skada users in my raid group get are a lot different from the recount users. Is one of them inaccurate? Are they just different? If you have any insight, please share.
    I don't know which numbers are more "correct" but usually the numbers you get in skada are more in line with the ones you get on World of Logs.
    Last edited by mmocb2358cdeee; 2013-10-08 at 07:56 PM.

Skada count effective DPS/HPS because it record entire fight - if you die in mid fight you will end up last in DMG done and DPS because it span for the whole duration of fight
    Recount only records if you are active in combat - if you die after burn phase you will stay top DPS.

Skada uses less memory and i think does not refresh measure in real time but in chunks of data so it causes less stress on CPU. Recount can make some super nice real Time graphs of your performance often not used (but data for them are the recount data so it is really hard on CPU)

Deleted
    I wasn't actually sure what to vote, so I voted Recount since that's what I've been using - up until now. I've never really had an issue with FPS, but I do know that after new content release and such, Recount could definitely fuck things up.

Atm I'm using Skada and it has its benefits:

1. Able to have 2 open windows at the same time
    2. It only counts effective output i.e if you're dead you will drop due to lack of damage done (although if you set Recount to damage done, you have the same result)
    3. It looks nice

Recount however, have some features I really miss:

1. The ability to click an arrow to fast and easy access what you want
    2. The lack of the icon (that makes Skada look nicer) allows for the bars and text to be bigger
    3. I prefer the pop up window that makes it easier to see things in detail

I might actually go back to Recount, I find that I have an easier time using it. It's most likely just about adjusting but I hate the small text and the fact that I need to download several plugins to get what I want.

Deleted
    I used recount for many years, and it always worked fine for me. I switched to Skada this expansion though, simply because it's closer to the figures you'll find on WoL.

One thing worth mentioning is that if you DON'T need all of the additional data that these 2 addons provide, and simply want to record Damage or Healing, you might try TinyDPS - this damage meter is very basic, uses almost no memory, easy to setup, looks nice, and after many hours of testing, it provides the same numbers as Recount.
    I spent a good number of hours on various alts nuking practice dummies with all 3 damage meters loaded. Recount and TinyDPS always showed the same values, while Skada showed different values - of course, I was not killed by the practice dummy, so I don't know why these values differ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your input everyone! I'm going to try out Skada and see if I like it.

Skada shows the same DPS that will show on WoL, it gets updated faster after a patch and for some reason Recount would always make me lag on AoE when a new patch came out so I switched to Skada for those reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Skada for me because with Recount I've always had some FPS issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukem View Post
    Skada count effective DPS/HPS because it record entire fight - if you die in mid fight you will end up last in DMG done and DPS because it span for the whole duration of fight
    Recount only records if you are active in combat - if you die after burn phase you will stay top DPS.
    I'm currently using Skada, but I have used Recount and as far as I've seen both record Damage Done and DPS. DPS is based on active time and Damage Done is just raw damage. If you die mid-fight, your damage done will be low but you can still look at DPS to see your production while alive. Depending on what you're after, you can check either one with either addon.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skada is probably the superior addon in terms of coding, resource usage, and accuracy. However, it doesn't track some of the things recount does by default (or have some of the addon plugin options), a few of which I use often as raid leader, so I reluctantly use recount again.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    i've used recount for years untill i discovered Skada. It also makes my wow run smoother for some reason

Deleted
    I switch from patch to patch between the two, but like Skada more now.

Unless you need pie charts and in depth dps analysis (in which case, go to WoL anyway...), then use Skada - it's lighter, has better plugins, better third party support, in my opinion tracks dps in a more logical way, easier to customise and has a functional threat meter and CC breaker.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh