Spec and Tips for Timeless Isle

Hello all, I am a vanilla WoW player, who recently returned to the game after many years. Back in 2005, I had leveled a Warrior as an alt to lvl 50, and just last night I got him to 90. A random blacksmith crafted me some gladiator gear, just to get me out of the greens, and now I am in the Timeless Isle trying to get better gear.

From lvl 50-85 I leveled as Protection, and I really, really enjoyed it. Wearing only quest gear, I was able to pull a ton of mobs and kill them all very quickly without ever really falling under half my health. Easy.

At 85 though, I noticed it started to take me a lot longer to kill anything, so I switched to Arms. This was an improvement damage wise, but the play-style and rotation did not appeal to me as much, and I still do not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Prot up to 85.

Now, on Timeless Isle, I find my damage to be unremarkable, while my survive-ability is frankly shit. I am curious if, given my gear, I should switch back to Prot for extra survive-ability, or if I should just stick with Arms. Any other tips would also be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Vald

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prot will definitly give you extra survivability. But it will make you wanna eat a broom, cause you will take forever to kill anything. Stay Arms. Fury is no option, since it requires gear to run smoothly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Im grinding with Prot, pulling the Tauren reskin dudes near the camped dragon dude, pulling 2 at a time and get around 25k vengeance, they hit insanely fast so you can pretty much spam revenge, its pretty fast.

Arms is better.

Most of the abilities are dodgeable and between Victory Rush and the Isle buffs (remember you can get all 3 item buffs at the same time) you should never have downtime. Arms is better at low ilvls and since you're returning now, you probably don't have acess to two high lvl weapons.

Remember to get all buffs (these are all from memory, numbers are probably wrong):

1) 5% stats from many interactable items
    2) Book of the ages - proc of 6k extra stats
    3) Bamboo dew thingy - restore hp on hit
    4) Arcane crystal item - chance to deal extra 60k damage

Also if you're on a low pop server, getting the shrines buff (Chiji is particularly imba) should be easy. If not, I like to use the shell item (reduces mob aggro radius) and go to the plateau with the elites overlooking where the Pirate Ship spawns. It's pretty much always up and I play on a highly populated server (has wait times during tuesdays and patch days)
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

I switch between fury and prot, but lately prot is doing it for me. Stack avoidance and you'll gain crit. For fury I only pull the easy mobs like turtles, cranes, tigers and oxen. But like I said, leaning toward prot for nearly all now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be arms until you get the crit for fury. Just go around and collect gear from timeless isle chests until you're in full or almost full 496 epics, then go fury, create the pieces, enchant/reforge and then queue for LFR. Timeless isle mobs are just beast. Get the various buffs around the isle to help you. Other than that, you just have to avoid the mechanics of the elites so you don't get 1 shot and you should be okay.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    I switch between fury and prot, but lately prot is doing it for me. Stack avoidance and you'll gain crit. For fury I only pull the easy mobs like turtles, cranes, tigers and oxen. But like I said, leaning toward prot for nearly all now.
    With his low gear, he won't have good enough avoidance to get a significant amount of crit from riposte. More importantly, we'll definetly not get enough vengeance and the uptime on riposte isn't high enough on a lot of mobs (casters, the ones with channeled abilities, etc.).
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I tried out Prot last night and it didn't go too well lol. I am back to Arms now. I reforged and got some gems too, so it's a bit easier. The only buff I have come across on the Isle so far is the shrine that gives +20% to all stats. Are the other ones just scattered about randomly, or are there well known and documented locations for them? Thanks again!

Vald

Run around and loot the chests, get your gear that way, which will be warrior "tokens" and not random class tokens from mobs...

Quote Originally Posted by Valdhammer View Post
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I tried out Prot last night and it didn't go too well lol. I am back to Arms now. I reforged and got some gems too, so it's a bit easier. The only buff I have come across on the Isle so far is the shrine that gives +20% to all stats. Are the other ones just scattered about randomly, or are there well known and documented locations for them? Thanks again!

Vald
    The buff itself you get is random, the shrines are in set places.

You can get:
    1) 20% all stats (Yu'lon)
    2) 25% crit, haste and maybe mastery increase (Chi'ji)
    3) 15% damage done increase (Xuen)
    4) 20% damage reduction
    5) Corrupted by ordos - does minor aoe damage and pulls mobs around the area

Unlike the item buffs, you unfortunately can only have one at a time.

If you want to just explore the island then go Prot since you can not get dismounted by creatures. However if you plan on farming an area then go Fury/Arms. Only reason to be Prot other than exploration is just to tank Celestial/Ordos/certain rares.