Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Amplify and Dampen magic

Heya, what would you think of a return, of Dampen and Amplify magic that mages had a while back, but to work as a "hand of.." ability similar to paladins.

For example:
    Amplify Magic could increase the healing the target takes by X amount for like 10(?) seconds
    and
    Dampen Magic could decrease the spell damage the target takes by X amount for like 5(?) seconds

This gives us mages atleast something that can help our friendly players in both pvp and pve, because right now, i feel useless in that area.

Post your thoughts and feedback

Have a good day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see any purpose for it really. Unless you want to be a buff machine durring raids. Im glad both of those spells are gone, I only remember 1 fight where I had to use amp and none where I had to use damp.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind those spells on a 2 minute cooldown. Or an 8 minute cooldown and make it aoe and last shorter.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I wouldn't mind those spells on a 2 minute cooldown. Or an 8 minute cooldown and make it aoe and last shorter.
    I agree, I'd much prefer a long cooldown if we were to get something like this. The fewer non-damage spells I have to cast, the better.

While I would absolutely love for them to bring em back as they were.. that just won't happen.

What I think could suit the names though is:

Amplify Magic, Spell damage taken or self buff on yourself

Dampen Magic, AoE damage reduction much like priest bubble, then again it would only be spell damage, but it's better than having nothing like we have atm.

Deleted
    I would LOVE an AoE dampen/amplify magic as a raid cooldown. 3-5mins with ~5-8 seconds of more/less spell damage. It would be the perfect raid utility cooldown for mages since we have _none_ at the moment (crit buff and BL aren't unique for mages)

Maybe even only dampen magic, since amplify would require balancing around increased dps with a mage in the group.

I really miss those buffs though. They had very limited use back then and they would fit into the game so much better today.

Blizzard dislikes "complicated" cooldowns though, so we should never expect anything like it ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think as others said they could be good raid CDs and buff our utility.

Amplify Magic - All abilities gain 5% extra damage for 15 seconds (or etc. etc.)

Dampen Magic - Everybody in the raid takes 15% damage less from harmful effects for 10 seconds.

Just things like that, could be cool, and hell its Mage-like enough IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dankestbuds View Post
    HATED those spells... good riddance.
    ^^^^^ So much of this.

H Saurfang, having to put that shit on 25 freaking people. No fucking thank you.

If it was some sort of raid CD that would be ok, since we have jack for them besides lust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

10+ Year Old Account
    Magical Imbalance
    100yd range
    Instant
    3 min cooldown
    Requires Level 90
    Warps the strength of spells in the air, reducing the magic damage dealth by all nearby enemies by 10%, and increasing the spell damage of all nearby party or raid members by 20%. Lasts 10 sec.

Allies recieving this effect become magically engorged, and will be unable to benefit from Magical Imbalance again for 3 min.

Arcane Saturation
    Unlimited range
    Instant
    Cannot benefit from Magical Imbalance.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

20% spell damage is huge.

tbh we dont need a raid wide damage buff, but the dampen magic idea is certainly solid. make it similar to amz.

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    ^^^^^ So much of this.

H Saurfang, having to put that shit on 25 freaking people. No fucking thank you.
    Oh, Hell. I had totally erased that from my memory until right now. ;-; I'm with those who say, "Good riddance!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVED THEM....

It's spells like that, that makes a difference in fights..

Examples:
    Deathbringer Saurfang.. All damage was plysical, so AM really buffed healing on tanks and marked targets.. HUGE help when you was undergeared.
    Mother Sharaz.. All that Shadow Damage flying around.. Even with everyone in full Shadow Res gear, DM made a HUGE diffence, not only when undergeared, but still when you had the boss on farm..

Some might say, that you can simply tune the fights to have the right damage output, and then get rid of them.. But that is the standard answer to everything
    All the small nice thigs gets removed.. AM/DM.. Rogues brewing poison.. Rogues training lockpick.. Warlock Soul Shards.. Fishing skill level.. Hundreds of things are removed, to dumb down the game..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

As a mage who raided in vanilla....hell no. HELL NO.

I remember that were a few fights where me and the other mages had to either dampen or amplify the entire 40 man raid.

Ugh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IdTheDemon View Post
    As a mage who raided in vanilla....hell no. HELL NO.

I remember that were a few fights where me and the other mages had to either dampen or amplify the entire 40 man raid.

Ugh.
    If you played the game after TBC, you'd know that if the buff was introduced into the game again, that's not how it would work. It would be a raid wide (or area) click to make it happen together with a sizeable CD.

I don't think an amplifying buff would be introduced though since it would be quite powerful. Dampen only would be much more likely since it's less powerful and will need less balancing.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO op for arena are u kidding me LMAO. you all need to realize what we are as a class. straight up brute force dps. we dont need raid wide survivability cooldowns. think about pvp please for 1 second before you spew out ideas that are absolutely absurd.
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2013-10-10 at 05:05 AM.

If Amplify Magic was used like a Kill Shot increasing damage from spells if target is at low heath and Dampen Magic could be used to reduce all healing then they might work.

In BC I never could make good use of the mechanic as it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Amplify Magic
    3 min cooldown
    Amplifies all magical effects affecting party and raid members within 40 yards for 8 seconds, increasing healing taken by 30%, at the cost of increasing magic damage taken and absorption effects by 15%. Shares a cooldown with Dampen Magic.

Dampen Magic
    3 min cooldown
    Dampens all magical effects affecting party and raid members within 40 yards for 8 seconds, reducing magical damage taken by 30%, at the cost of reducing healing taken and absorption effects by 15%. Shares a cooldown with Amplify Magic.

Versions like these, I could see happening.
    Those could work, and would give mages more utility. But then everything is better than the old ones, still get shivers thinking of the times I had to buff the raid with amplify magic during Gruul.

Well, they could just re-introduce Amplify as a version of CoE. I still don't get why they removed it from Balance Druids, leaving us a little low on classes that bring it.

Agree with OP, bring it back without having the negative effects like we had before. i.e amplify increased ur spell damage taken.