Multi-Dotting Question

On multi-boss fights (i.e. Fallen Protectors, Dark Shamans, etc.) as affliction, should my priority be to keep 100% dot uptime on all targets? I feel like I spend the majority of my time soul swapping and don't get a whole lot of MG channeling in. It feels weird, but I don't really have a reference point to compare it to.

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gewdgewd View Post
    On multi-boss fights (i.e. Fallen Protectors, Dark Shamans, etc.) as affliction, should my priority be to keep 100% dot uptime on all targets? I feel like I spend the majority of my time soul swapping and don't get a whole lot of MG channeling in. It feels weird, but I don't really have a reference point to compare it to.

Thanks in advance!
    Personally, if we're using fallen protectors as an example, I don't aim to keep 100% uptime of all my dots on all targets. A lot of times when we're trying to burn something down quickly spending my time doing all cleave is counterproductive since there's no real damage check anyways.

If I had to be specific (outside of the opener) I usually put up a full duration set of pandemic dots on my main target then swap them between the secondary targets. I then channel grasp on my main target until UA is ticking down, where I'll hardcast refresh. I *usually* keep channeling until corruption/UA are ticking down again, then refresh and soul swap the new dots around.

To be entirely honest though that is all contextual — part of being good at affliction is intuitively understanding when it is production to cleave and when it is time to channel, or when it's safe to multi-haunt or when you bank shards etc. I wouldn't aim to have 100% uptime of UA on everything but make sure agony is always out there, and swap around any sets of int buffed dots when you can as a rule of thumb.

Now for Dark Shaman you should be going for 100% uptime on both bosses here since they have a shared healthpool. You can also drain soul the blobs for all your shards back so your haunt uptime/damage should be very high.

Thanks for the response - I think my biggest issue was worrying about UA uptime on all three protectors.

On a tangential note, how do you deal with the slimes on Shamans as affliction? I've typically been running destro because it's so easy to burst them down. Do you just tab-spam Seed of Corruption on them?

I would say just make sure Agony doesnt drop.

Thanks for the response - I think my biggest issue was worrying about UA uptime on all three protectors.

On a tangential note, how do you deal with the slimes on Shamans as affliction? I've typically been running destro because it's so easy to burst them down. Do you just tab-spam Seed of Corruption on them?
    I go destro for this fight as well just because the ramp up time to affliction aoe is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    I go destro for this fight as well just because the ramp up time to affliction aoe is junk.
    I do the same now (10m). Destro might be a little "weaker" as far as parsing the highest numbers but it puts the damage where it needs to be at least and Havok Shadowburns are so yummy.

The ideal situation for multi dotting is to use 1 target in which u keep buffed dots on, and inhale that dot and throw to another target. I wouldn't worry about slimes and such on shamans, just DS for shard renewal and keep haunting ur primary targets.

I prioritise soulswap on most fights, on protectors, there is a good 10-15sec gap where I do nothing but SS or SBSS to upgrade my SS source when the majority of adds spawn. My guild kinda aoe's it down though, so my only real job is max damage, they will all hit the right phases because the single target people make sure they cross over at the right time.

Norushen is similar for me, swapping all the things, and keeping quality dots on norushen to cleave from. Most other things don't have enough adds to worry about though.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-10-09 at 10:53 PM.

Going Aff or Destro on Shamans really depends on your raid and your role. I use to go destro and single handedly take care of adds in our 10 man.

Now that our hunter and mage have geared up some and can take care of adds, I switched to Affliction which does way more dps to Shaman's than anyone else in the raid because of the multi-dot ability and high amount of haunt uptime from getting shards back from slimes. I don't really focus on actually AoEing them down when I'm Aff though.

Thanks in advance!
    Protectors:
    When you've strong dots, spread them to targets that will be alive long enough for the dots duration.
    then apply haunt to the targets if possible.

If you've no proccs you are better of MG an target untill you can reapply stronger dots, and then spread them.
    Try to drain soul as many adds you can for free shards!

Dark Shamans:
    Since both Shamans have a shared health pool keeping dots up 100% is worth it.
    But only haunt both of them when you've proccs.

Might not be the best advice but it's how I think

It give you more dps have dots rolling in all 3 boss or 2 bosses + adds than using MG on one target.

But if u need to something to die quickly and your raid can't handle without you, haunt + MG the target and just don't let agony falls on the bosses.

That's what I do :
    - Spream the dots with soulswap for "maximum" UA uptime (personnal record : 94%)
    - Haunt ALL the things !
    - MG the protector that needs to be focused
    - DrainSoul adds & cie, but I think they DON'T give shard on kill

A sample result if, you're interested. Look how my UA is low, in this example I think I could have made it better.

For the Shamans, can't really help you because my guild keeps them separated. But I try to maintain uptime on bos of them, even if this means a short sprint with soulswap. Oh and DON'T try to shoot the adds unless your guild is bad at it.
    Link
    Last edited by Shauni; 2013-10-10 at 09:12 AM.
    "Well...I think you don't get the concept of World First. It's not Method, it's NOT an obscure asian guild whose name can't be pronounced by the regular folks, it's blizzard !

Yeah, cuz they had an internal test team, and they beat Garrosh. So by your standart, they are the true first."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    You are joking, right?

Affliction opener - Pot, DS, Haunt, Soulburn: Soul Swap, trinkets proc, Soulburn: Soul Swap again, then Soul Swap your now overpowered dots to the other targets in 4 GCDs. Watch your screen fill with yellow numbers.

Even on single target Affliction has a MUCH faster ramp up time than Destro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    You are joking, right?

Affliction opener - Pot, DS, Haunt, Soulburn: Soul Swap, trinkets proc, Soulburn: Soul Swap again, then Soul Swap your now overpowered dots to the other targets in 4 GCDs. Watch your screen fill with yellow numbers.

Even on single target Affliction has a MUCH faster ramp up time than Destro.
    He's talking about SoC on the slimes, not multidotting on the pull.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
    He's talking about SoC on the slimes, not multidotting on the pull.
    meh - reading fail on my part.... Thought we were still talking about Protectors.

Affliction is actually pretty good for Shamans though - Soulburn: Curse of Weakness is a very effective way of slowing the slimes down, then a SB:SoC (on one of the shamans) is obviously not as good as Destro but still does some damage.. I just let others deal with killing to the slimes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Affliction is actually pretty good for Shamans though - Soulburn: Curse of Weakness is a very effective way of slowing the slimes down, then a SB:SoC (on one of the shamans) is obviously not as good as Destro but still does some damage.. I just let others deal with killing to the slimes.
    No one was arguing that affliction is bad on shaman, just that it's rampup time on AOE is so bad that
    a) If your raid group doesn't need you to dps them it's not worth doing
    b) If your raid group does need them dpsing then it's probably better to go destruction

Depends entirely on your raid makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    No one was arguing that affliction is bad on shaman, just that it's rampup time on AOE is so bad that
    a) If your raid group doesn't need you to dps them it's not worth doing
    b) If your raid group does need them dpsing then it's probably better to go destruction

Depends entirely on your raid makeup.
    ^ This right here, all depends on what is needed, if you have boss AOE in your raid then clearly dpsing the slimes is useless. That being said, compared to destro the ramp up time for affliction aoe is junk lol

Deleted
    About the shamans: It's actually not a bad idea playing it when you have enough AoE on the adds (e.g. a hunter/ele shaman combo). You can, even if you're using the seperation-tactic (pulling one of the bosses to china... basically) drain one of the adds, and even if one of the AoE-guys dies, you can help by combining a seed of corruption with the dots you can swap off the boss to swap it to every single add, making the affliction AoE quite viable.
    Would be awesome if we played this boss with a "normal" tac, 'though.

To answer the OP's question: I preferrably rather sacrifice some of the dot uptime to get up the strongest dots possible on my main target to swap them over to the others asap. Agony losing its stacks isn't much of a problem, and if you don't let your uptime slack too much, it might be quite profitable to let weaker dots wear off in order to buff the dots on your main target.
    Last edited by mmoc01cbfb2191; 2013-10-11 at 09:49 PM.

mg is really low dps. its best to keep haunt rolling on both shamans if they are grouped close. with dots being kept up on everything. as affliction u never really dps the slimes. most of my raid kills them instantly with cleaves and better ranged aoe so i just cast haunt and refresh my dots on both shamans before the slimes spawn.. then drain soul an add for 4 more shards. if you really need to dps slimes as affliction rain of fire does a little bit of damage.