Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I disagree with all toll roads and bridges, I pay road tax for this kind of shit.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Isn't there a toll crossing into Wales somewhere on the motorway, remember my dad going through it once about 10 year ago, we went a different route home

Other than that, taxes.
    I know in the early 90's the Severn Crossing was a toll bridge, if I remember correctly the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol was also a toll bridge as well, the M6 toll road might be a waste of money but lets be fair, I've also been stuck for hours on the motorway round about there before now!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

There's a toll near me that's $6. The bridge isn't really long or amazing or anything, just a normal average bridge. It's the only way on to the island too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe there's a single toll road or bridge in my entire province.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I don't believe there's a single toll road or bridge in my entire province.
    Just lots of photo radar, amirite? >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    Just lots of photo radar, amirite? >.<
    Actually, they've just started using photo radar systems this year and only in construction zones.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    Currently, Vancouver BC Canada considering adding a toll to EVERY bridge in the city and surrounding areas. For those of you who aren't familiar with the area there are a grand total of 25 bridges for me to go over, most of these link cities together, otherwise travel would be crippled. We have 2 toll bridges:

To cross over these bridges: $ 3.00/car per crossing, $1.50 for Motorcycles and up to 9.00 for Semis. If you don't pay within a week, you are charged an extra $2.00.

Now, I don't know about other tolls, but for a bridge that you can cross in under a minute, this seems excessively high. People are saying toll bridges are fair because "If you don't use them, you shouldnt have to pay! Tolls pay for construction. My taxes shouldnt pay for a bridge I dont use!". I think thats not a fair reason at all, its part of being in a city and part of a community. By that definition why the fuck should I have to pay for road repair on a road I dont use!? Hell, if people dont own a car shoudnt they pay lower taxes? Sounds about right to me. And street lights? Are you shitting me? Who needs those!? 4 way stop procedures for everyone!

I have no issues with toll bridges for large bridges connecting like Halifax and Dartmouth in Nova scotia, or the confederaton bridge that links PEI to the rest of civilization. Or Hell, even the brand new bridge thats meant to ease traffic flow-- as long as there is another free option.

So, what do you think, Toll 'em all?
    Bridges around San Francisco are $4, $6 hours during commute hours.

Don't need to pay tolls if you invest in an AK47

10+ Year Old Account
    There may not be an actual "road tax" anymore, but I still pay taxes. Roads are almost the only government provided service that I use, so I would like my taxes to be used for something, well, useful.

I got so excited about this thread, then I realized that I need to L2Read.

[edit]
    (Decided I didn't want to get banned.)
    Last edited by Dendrek; 2013-10-10 at 11:27 PM.

First post edited ever so slightly

Deleted
    I would only have tolls for those coming into the country.

Yeah, the GW bridge was $6 IIRC back in 2006 and 2007 when I lived in NYC, now it's $13. Pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by highslime View Post
    The Ben Franklin Bridge going from Philadelphia to Camden, NJ costs $5 if you're coming INTO Pennsylvania. Five bucks to cross the Delaware River is ridiculous. Same with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge that connects the Delmarva Peninsula to the mainland Maryland. Thankfully they're 1 way tolls, but it's a bit high IMO. The only toll bridge or road that I've been on that I deemed worth the price is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, spanning the Bay from Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Pretty awesome bridge that turns into a tunnel at 2 artificial islands to allow the naval ship traffic to pass unimpeded. Looks badass from the air too.
    Well, the Tacony-Palmyra is only $3.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Yeah, the GW bridge was $6 IIRC back in 2006 and 2007 when I lived in NYC, now it's $13. Pretty ridiculous.
    It's $8 at the method they want you to pay though. Sounds like $13 is punitive to get you to purchase the E-Z Pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to make a Monty Python bridge riddle joke, but I'm too lazy.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

iirc the huge troll with the bat in Ultima 9 wanted 10 gold pieces. but I tricked him because he couldn't count haha

The problem is you can't go ANYWHERE in the lower mainland of British Columbia without crossing a bridge or using a tunnel. The entire area is basically built on a giant set of estuaries. You'll cross over or under a body of water every 5-10 minutes of driving. For most cases of toll roads and bridges on the rest of the continent, you usually can find an alternate toll-free route (the exception being large important crossings, borders, etc). A toll on every single crossing in Vancouver is, frankly, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowspace View Post
    The problem is you can't go ANYWHERE in the lower mainland of British Columbia without crossing a bridge or using a tunnel. The entire area is basically built on a giant set of estuaries. You'll cross over or under a body of water every 5-10 minutes of driving. For most cases of toll roads and bridges on the rest of the continent, you usually can find an alternate toll-free route (the exception being large important crossings, borders, etc). A toll on every single crossing in Vancouver is, frankly, ridiculous.
    I know! Need to get to the airport? Theres would be a fee! Heaven forbid you actually live on annicis island or sea island way. Even travelling from richmond to vancouver is 2 bridges because you need to pass by an island that basically only is an industrial park and a small town that I dont even know how it still exists. That place would be a ghost town within a year. People couldn't afford to live here without 20 bucks an hour