Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Pet battle battles are so ... random.

I never liked turn based games simply because of how random it all is but I gave the pet battles a good try anyway.
    After having alot of fun leveling and capturing I eventually found the reason I dislike anything turn based again: the random shenanigans.

A (PvP) match is going great and then all the sudden your opponent gets the first hit everytime you need to swap pets and killing you because of it.
    Next pet, same story, last pet... again he can go first and the match is over.

I've looked up all there is to know, read abilities and all that and there is no reason for this to happen when it does other than random chance.

How can this be an acceptable system? Is there no alternative?

A turn based system doesn't have to be random, but some randomness always helps keep things interesting. That being said I find the pet battle system extremely poor in comparison to what it mimicks (pokemon) due to the ridiculous levels of RNG involved. I basically got what I wanted and got out, because I am not a lucky person and found I struggled to get hits with 90% moves, never mind things lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Same here. Collecting and leveling the first pets was a great fun.

Then tamers came and blow away my fun. Dodge-miss-miss-dodge You lost!

Now dodge is gone but i could rip out my hair when i miss twice in a row with 95 hit cance attacks.
    And the tournament is the worst, one miss and you wasted 30 mins of your life.

I was usually a dexxer type, so one of my first pets was the Panther cub (12/12) who was faster than anything but also had the power to back it up. He was faster than everything, so he's be able to put the debuff on, or the extra damage from going first, but also a life replenish attack. Personally, when I PVP (not overly often), I stack my fastest pets with stuns/health gain etc so that I can dictate the match (doesn't always work).

Yeah, it is very random. If not the combat itself, which OP comp you get matched up with is random too. It is always a gamble who's OP comp of OP pets will get more lucky.

No elo system or something similar only makes PvP even more unpleasant. IMO pet battles were a success but pvp pet battles a solid failure. I got my direhorn and happily stopped.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, you realize that the speed stat of pets determines who gets in the first hit, right? And most of the serious battlers in pet battles follow the age old pokemon strategy that Speed > all. A fast pet that gets in debuffs or CCs first is always at an advantage.

That being said, I also am NOT a fan of the PVP system as it seems like they nerfed down all the pets that were strong and actually obtainable. Its all of the super rare or store bought pets that seem to still be strong while my rare Fluxfire, Clockwork Gnome, Flayer Youngling, etc have all been beaten into the ground.

*Yes, I'm bitter because the Anubisath Idol requires that I bug my wife to farm*
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

It's Pokemon. You don't like Pokemon? Most people like Pokemon. Pokemon.

Turned based combat is supposed to be random; if not, it would be the exact same thing every single time, and that's no good. Randomness does add a touch of frustration every now and then, but questioning whether or not it is an acceptable system seems a bit over the top to me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    if ur complaining about the pvp side of things dont EVER do the pve side.

Atack with a 50% chance of hiting working 3 times in a row? check
    2 crits in a row on the start of a fight? check
    atack with a 50% to stun works, then i miss next unstuned round, then im stuned again by teh same 50% chance attack? check
    and dont even get me started on how i lost against chi-chi through an absurd string of problems that can only be termed "lol, wasting ur time". check

iv got more but realy, the npc batle pets cheat. A LOT
    Last edited by lokinrond713; 2013-10-12 at 06:10 AM.

Deleted
    Also when you switch pets you lose your turn, thats why the other guy goes first and if his pets are faster than yours he gets 2 attacks in a row

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    It's Pokemon. You don't like Pokemon? Most people like Pokemon. Pokemon.

Turned based combat is supposed to be random; if not, it would be the exact same thing every single time, and that's no good. Randomness does add a touch of frustration every now and then, but questioning whether or not it is an acceptable system seems a bit over the top to me.
    Pokémon is a system I've enjoyed since the first games, this as much as I try I don't really enjoy it just do it for the rewards (such as brawlers guild, red panda)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

only thing i hate about pvp battles is when some people take so damn long to take their turn... its really not chess.. u have 3 abilities... just go already.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can be happy you dont have to use gold to buy pokewow balls (200g for normal ball 600g for a great one and 1200 for ultra one).

The cage you get by achivment is supposed to work like this balls...but i dont realy see much diference in chance to catch.
    Its just more simple to it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokeballs
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazienne View Post
    *Yes, I'm bitter because the Anubisath Idol requires that I bug my wife to farm*
    Even a ToT LFR geared 90 can burn through Twin Emps without their heal being a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
    Even a ToT LFR geared 90 can burn through Twin Emps without their heal being a factor.
    Hell, people were doing it at 85. 90 should be relatively easy for almost every class.

Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    if ur complaining about the pvp side of things dont EVER do the pve side.

Atack with a 50% chance of hiting working 3 times in a row? check
    2 crits in a row on the start of a fight? check
    atack with a 50% to stun works, then i miss next unstuned round, then im stuned again by teh same 50% chance attack? check
    and dont even get me started on how i lost against chi-chi through an absurd string of problems that can only be termed "lol, wasting ur time". check

iv got more but realy, the npc batle pets cheat. A LOT
    Get a better team and/or stop using sub 25s to beat them. I smoke every single master, spirit and beast of fable while leveling a pet on all but the beasts.

To the above poster regarding the Idol - it's not that great anymore since the nerf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

If you hate battle pet RNG, never never never fight against the darkmoon pet master and his retarded monkey. Battle pet is pretty much: if you dont have the fotm pets, you are going to have a bad time against everything

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Get a better team and/or stop using sub 25s to beat them. I smoke every single master, spirit and beast of fable while leveling a pet on all but the beasts.

To the above poster regarding the Idol - it's not that great anymore since the nerf.
    lol, i was talking about celestial tourney and in the first example i was a level HIGHER so stop acting like beating the random losers scatered around the continent is an accomplishment cuse my onyxian whelping can solo several of them without resorting to something like strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    If you hate battle pet RNG, never never never fight against the darkmoon pet master and his retarded monkey. Battle pet is pretty much: if you dont have the fotm pets, you are going to have a bad time against everything
    Aside from the Celestial Tournament you can pretty much beat every NPC Trainer given you have 3 pets that counter the enemy pets.

Most people who have issues against Trainer before the Tournament simply don't have Pets from every Race up to 25 or lack the stones to upgrade them to rare
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2013-10-12 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    lol, i was talking about celestial tourney and in the first example i was a level HIGHER so stop acting like beating the random losers scatered around the continent is an accomplishment cuse my onyxian whelping can solo several of them without resorting to something like strategy.
    Really? Bragging about a pet that most people have? Are you gonna tell me next that you've played since vanilla like its some sort of accomplishment? Many pets can solo the tamers but they'll be nerfed like the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I despise about pet battles is how often moves seem to miss for me. 90% chance? Seems a lot more like 70%. And anything under 90% just seems to miss every other turn for me. I don't mind randomness, but I just get pissed for constant misses.