Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's threads like this that ruined the movie for me. I had no expectations for the movie and was gonna watch it just for the hell of it. Then I see everybody saying it was amazing and when I finally watched it I was like "that's it?". I just don't understand the hype, it was visually dark, his voice was worst than Batman's (and his character was void of any growth), the 1 min explanation of how she can read minds was weak, and the action was repetitive. Only unique thing about the film were the cool slo-mo scenes.....besides that, I just didn't see the big deal. But that's just me

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Dredd. Depressed it wont have a sequel, but then I dont think it should be a movie, it should be a TV show on HBO or Showtime or Starz. Karl Urban is making some terrible Cop procedural with a robot sidekick on Fox now. Olivia Thirlby doesnt really have much going on. They could have had both leads, grabbed a decent writing staff and put out 13 great episodes a year.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Completely overrated as being underrated.

It was a good watch but nothing mindblowing and certainly not the criminally overlooked movie the internet would lead you to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected a decent film, and that is what i got. Really, really want a sequal though.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I loved Dredd. Depressed it wont have a sequel, but then I dont think it should be a movie, it should be a TV show on HBO or Showtime or Starz. Karl Urban is making some terrible Cop procedural with a robot sidekick on Fox now. Olivia Thirlby doesnt really have much going on. They could have had both leads, grabbed a decent writing staff and put out 13 great episodes a year.
    I agree it would be fitting as a series. The movie was good, but it really showed that it was planned to be a trilogy, since the actual story on the first one was about fighting "one thing" and then getting it resolved, leaving the end to be something you would see in a episode of a TV show.

Too bad really, since Karl Urban was really good/faithful on the role. Maybe someday we might get something. At least one can hope

I think the reason why so many people liked it, myself included, is being a remake, we expected it to be awful, like the remake of Conan the Barbarian for example. Instead, it was quite surprisingly good. It would be like if someone forced you to eat a turd, and while not as good as a $40 steak, it was "pretty good" you would be shocked and very pleasantly surprised.

Really enjoyed it, Karl Urban nailed it.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Kankipappa View Post
    I agree it would be fitting as a series. The movie was good, but it really showed that it was planned to be a trilogy, since the actual story on the first one was about fighting "one thing" and then getting it resolved, leaving the end to be something you would see in a episode of a TV show.

Too bad really, since Karl Urban was really good/faithful on the role. Maybe someday we might get something. At least one can hope
    I actually really like the way it was, just a day in the life of Dredd, life moves on. I wish they were doing more, but sadly it didnt make money, I dont see why, I mean, it wasnt a big budget sci fi like avatar, but it was a good watch, not epic, not oscar, but good.

Well to be honest I was quite surprised by this movie too - expected generic USA bullshit movie, got quality generic USA bullshit movie.

Definitely would watch again, for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    b-but does he say I'm the law?
    Yes, here you go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    Tbh I don't really understand the whole circlejerk around Dredd, my brother and I saw it together and we both agreed that it was nowhere near as good as internet reviews would lead us to believe... Especially the whole gushing over the overpresent slo-mo every five seconds.

I dunno, I may be missing something.
    The Slo mo was the drug they only do it like 5 times in the entire movie so not sure where the every five seconds is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by eodusaf View Post
    I actually really like the way it was, just a day in the life of Dredd, life moves on. I wish they were doing more, but sadly it didnt make money, I dont see why, I mean, it wasnt a big budget sci fi like avatar, but it was a good watch, not epic, not oscar, but good.
    This is exactly why I love it. It was good. It was a Normal day for Dredd. He deals with some of the craziest situations and deals with them with calm and logical actions. (Sometimes not calm in the comic Lol). Play it smart and you'll win; type of deal with no super powers to conquer.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldnt say it was awesome but it got bonus points for NOT having Rob Schneider in it.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

I really enjoyed the film and thought Dredd and Anderson were both well portrayed, I really liked the way they changed the uniform, it kept the spirit and almost all the features of the comics but did away with the horrible impracticalities.

It seemed to confuse itself with X-Men a little bit - psionic users should be called psykers, mutants in 2000AD tend to suffer physical deformities buy rarely get super-powers. I wasn't sure if Dredd's impersonation of ED-209 ("you have 10 seconds to comply") was an Easter egg because the writers forgot they weren't re-booting Robocop.

I was a bit shocked when Dredd didn't arrest that homeless guy, Judges are supposed to show zero-tolerance to crime and perps should be cuffed to a holding post until a pat-wagon comes to pick them up.

Those are minor niggles though, the only thing that really let it down (for me) was Mega-City One. The city is supposed to to be a vast shining metropolis, all garish neon and futuristic giant domed towers. I especially missed the aerial road networks as Dredd zooming down a tiny way-by (about the width of a pavement) hundreds of feet above a massive meg-way on his Lawmaster is one of my most enduring images from the comics.

I thought it was good, would have been better if Burt Reynolds was in it.

Overall it was a good movie, simple enough and not over the top. I think it would have done better if it was not in the shadow of the Stallone one.

I thought it was excellent. Dredd very nicely captured the feel of the comics and gave us a brutal cyberpunk-like film without ever seeming cliched or existing for the sake of a setting or theme. Urban nailed the role and of course Lena Headey was phenomenal as Mother.

A sequel would be extraordinarily welcome, provided all the same participants as Dredd were involved.

I enjoyed that film, but I know all the "hard" comic book fans hated it for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Not bad, but not a patch on the comics, the comics are much darker and much for fun.
    You know...I'd only half agree with this. While I haven't read 2000AD since the early 2000s, I found back then you'd come across 2 types of Dredd story. Half the time it was the epics. If somebody like John Wagner was on writing duties, Dredd and his world were taken seriously, some stories like this wouldn't even focus on Dredd, but he'd be present and sometimes even cast in a negative light.

One I recall that got me to really like Dredd was called Midnight Kidd (or something like that), the story was about half way through in the issue I got, and had Dredd chained up to a tree or something, by an assassin called Johnni Kiss. Johnni started to taunt Dredd then went to kiss him (I think it was meant to be his "thing"). Instead, when Johnni got close, Dredd headbutted him and smashed his nose!

But then you'd get the 1 week filler stories, and my god did these SUCK!!! Much worse than than Stallone movie (Which I quite liked, tho agree he should have kept the helmet on. But hey, back in the day it got me reading Dredd and in turn 2000AD....and wasn't THAT kind of half the point of making a Dredd film? And who doesn't love Hammerstein's cameo?), I recall stuff like a harry potter parody with a farting harry and Dredd going to a magic dimension to chase him and arrest ogres and wizards. Or one that was about a man selling faulty transporter devices that was 90% the seller and his customers using the device to end up in horrible situations, and only a few panels of Dredd himself.

They happened often enough that as much as I like Dredd, you can't get too much on a high horse over his comics (IMHO)

EDIT: On topic ab-so-lutely LOVED the film,. Urban got Dredd right, he portrayed him pretty much as I tended to picture him (from reading the serious Dredd stories.) and the film itself had an interesting concept that I really liked. I would love to see a sequel, but outside of cameos, I think id prefer another grounded story, I'd like to see them avoid guys like Chopper or Judge Death. Maybe something that could show off a bit more of Mega City 1 or the Justice Department. (And as much as I love the guy, no Mean Machine Angel, been there, done that)
    Last edited by Icaras; 2013-10-12 at 10:10 PM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Snakehead View Post
    If you haven't seen this movie do it immediately. The Stallone shithouse fest that sullied this greatest of all characters is absolutely nothing like the Karl Urban version. This is one of the most underrated films of 2012. Stop wasting your time and see the fucking movie already!!!
    I actually liked the stallone one more.

I liked this one a fair bit. Lena Headey can totally rock an arrogant smirk. I don't have super high hopes, but I'm wanting some Dark Judges action in the future. It may be a step too far into the Weirdo Zone, but I want to see how that might play out on screen provided it's given a chance to be fantastic.

Deleted
    watched half of it and turned it off cos it was pretty crap