Poll: Do you think it is right or wrong to kick your child out just because they are 18 eve

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Id never kick my kids out just because they turned 18. If they weren't in school I'd make them get a job and pay rent tho.

i just finished college and i moved back with my mother and brother until i have financial things settled. i know quite a lot of people who are doing the same and i don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymon View Post
    Yeah, you guys are having bad time with high unemployment. But it will go with time and we(EU) are seeing some ease, at last, in this economy crash.
    Wasn't Spain one of the greatest places to live like a decade ago. What happened?

Deleted
    kicked out at 18, fresh out of school...

These days, unless you have vast amounts of talent and a school certificate as glittery as a shined skull, the best thing that's waiting for you is being a burgerflipper. The worst thing is being a NEET or doing your time.

Also, there is no "rule of thumb" for people. What works for person A is likely to not work as good (or at all) for person B.

Regardless, "happy birthday you are 18 now get the fuck out" doesn't sound like a parent at all, no matter how you look at it.

Varies depending on the situation, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    Oh man where are all the staunch defenders of personal responsibility? Where are the bootstrappers?

Where are all the anti-welfare folks with their stories about how they managed to pay themselves through college, feed, house, and clothe themselves from age 18 forward while working full time and never took out a student loan?

Surely a strong, healthy 18 year old adult can do as well in this world on his own as an older person who loses his job and home and has to fend for him or herself?

This forum is usually full of smug bastards who look down at anyone who doesn't mirror their (often exaggerated) claims of self-sufficiency.
    I'm one of those smug bastards. If a person is determined enough, they can do it. I was one of them.
    I took out student loans as well. However I didn't go to school for underwater basket weaving either. I did my research on what profession and what was needed out in the workplace before I decided what to go to college for. Oh also I left my house at 17 and never looked back.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    kicked out at 18, fresh out of school...

These days, unless you have vast amounts of talent and a school certificate as glittery as a shined skull, the best thing that's waiting for you is being a burgerflipper. The worst thing is being a NEET or doing your time.

Also, there is no "rule of thumb" for people. What works for person A is likely to not work as good (or at all) for person B.

Regardless, "happy birthday you are 18 now get the fuck out" doesn't sound like a parent at all, no matter how you look at it.
    Looks like you have a computer, because you're on here. You must've done something right?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    I would be truly, truly embarrassed if I still lived with my parents after 21 and that was with me going to college. I feel anyone that isn't disabled that still lives with their parents after that, are worthless human beings. Now if they're going to become a Doctor I suppose that would be the exception, but they better be going to school to become something similar to that.
    There's one! I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

I think its a very subjective question. There are just too many factors contributing to each one's decision. Sometimes each parent's experience while growing up also plays a part. Its actually wrong to think anyone staying past their 21st bday at their parents home bum. A lot of European countries especially Italians, Polish and most of the South Asian countries are big on family and kids/children usually and often stay with their parents till their married. Again culture plays a part so there isn't a right or wrong thing to it.

While each situation would have to be handled and looked at. While there are often pros and cons, there have been cases where minors (younger than 18) have voluntarily left home and gone out to live on their own. Minka Kelly is one such example that supposedly had a very troubled child hood and left home and took her sister with her (Think her mom was a bad influence on the kids (stripper and drugy) and did very well for herself. Its not uncommon for kids in deprived or poorer neighbor hoods that leave home early to get out of surrounding and move half way across the country.

But these days, well the last few years, things have changed a lot. You can't expect things to be what they were 10-20 years ago. There was a study showcasing that the youth of today often take a lot more years to actually grow up mentally and assume responsibility. Often times people would prefer getting married in their 20s and settling down. While things have changed. People still don't really know what they want or are still trying to hold their shit together in their 20s. Marriage is now for the 30s. Which was once a minority has now become a overwhelming majority.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would have made sense back in the 50's-60's when finding occupations were alot easier without needing a college degree to get your foot in the door.

Nowadays without even a basic college degree businesses will barely look at you. the best someone could hope for at 18 out of high school is flipping burgers, and that's nowhere close to a sustainable income.

Kicking your kid out at 18 in this day and age is just as bad as trying to kill them imo.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

This is sort of funny. These forums are known for having 50-60% polls in favor of what society generally considers taboo or even offensive to others.

But now it's "no" at 80%. I wonder if this tells us anything about our forums. lol Anyway, it depends on the kid. I did leave at 27 years of age. (And that's because Hurricane Sandy destoryed our house). I probably would have stayed longer just to save money.

I imagine whoever goes through the experience of leaving at 18 has a lot more real world experience than someone like me. They'd have to know the value of a dollar a lot earlier. The only problem is that I imagine it would cause some strained relationship between parent and child.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Okay guys I want a opinion on this.

First off I am 32, my mom let me a nice birthday card when I was 18 says " Happy Birthday nice spending time with you. your raised get the fuck out of my house" she did not even bother showing up for my birthday. Long story short at 18 I had no where to go and was forced to be homeless for a while.

She says "Well you were 18 you were raised"

Okay now for the question.

Do you think it is right or wrong to kick your child out just because they are 18 even thou you know they have no place to go?

there is no right or wrong answer here :P
    My own honest opinion would be that your mother is a cunt and shouldn't have been allowed to raise kids.

Just because your kids reach the legal age of 18, doesn't mean you should stop loving and care for them.

At least it sounded like your mom wouldn't give a shit if you died or not. What a psycho.
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2013-10-11 at 08:39 PM.

This post is sickening but for a different reason than most of you realize. I'm gonna guess that most that took this poll are sub 18. The ones saying how barbaric it is to have your child start his or her life at 18 is rather amusing. First off if you get kicked out of your house at 18 then the signs were there. Pretty sure mommy and daddy didn't say you'd be staying if you're surprised. If they did say you could stay to finish school etc but kicked you then that's a different story obviously. However you can start working before 18 so if mommy and daddy didn't explicitly say that you could leech off them a little more then assume you won't be. Welcome to the real world kids. Don't worry you'll survive.

I knew I was out at 18 so I made sure I had my shit in order. I love my family immensely and they're there for me always. I understand why my father did what he did, taught me the things that he did. I'm grateful for that. Some of you haven't learned yet that coddling someone isn't always the right answer, sometimes getting thrown into the deep end of the pool is beneficial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    My own honest opinion would be that your mother is a cunt and shouldn't have been allowed to raise kids.
    We share the same opinion there.

If you kick out the kid just cause you are sick of living with him then you are horrible parent. Unless you know the kid will manage don't do it. Family is most important but I know few people who just dream of kicking out their kids and having house for their own pleasure.

10+ Year Old Account
    wrong..my parents love me enough to let me finish uni, get a full time job and be able to afford my own place while offering as much support i need in order to do so. Why even have children if you just take the first opportunity to get rid of them and don't support them 0o

Deleted
    So wrong... you don't kick your child out when he/she is 18 but when he/she is ready for it.
    Who the hell has their stuff toghether at 18? If i think back on how i was at 18 well.... i certaintly wasn't wise or ready for the world in the slightest.
    Also some kids need a harder push than others, if you kick your child out when it's 18 just because it's 18, you're a bad parent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokatii View Post
    sometimes getting thrown into the deep end of the pool is beneficial.
    Throwing someone into the deep end before they've learned how to swim, typically doesn't turn out very well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    That's different. There are some exceptions. Like the kids I see on Maury who are ruthless and inconsiderate of their parents. I would kick my kids out of the house as well if they were like that, however I have raised my children with discipline and love, and they respect their elders and do phenomenal at school. I suppose that's the difference between me and other parents.
    You don't know half of the story even and yet you condemn? Just because you're parent, it does not magically entitle you to respect from your kids, you have to earn in, just as they have to earn it from you and the social network they're in. You do not know if the kids you condemn have had parents who actually teached respect by earning it; kids you as you do, not what you say. It is the oldest rule in history.

oh man that sucks..

well I'm 20 and I'm still living with my parents, and I will at least 3-4 year more till I finish uni unless I get a job and go rent somewhere.. which not gonna happen for now lol
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

If the kid is responsible and working or beginning higher education, the reasonable thing is to charge a bit of rent.