Fuzzzie Mod version compare script

Uploaded version 4 of my script that figures out which mods you need to update compared to Fuzzzie's mods list.
    It also now figures out the file versions and tries to say if they match.

http://pastebin.com/ggd2q0vT

You have to have PERL installed. You can get PERL here:
    http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads

When you save the script make the file extention .pl
    Last edited by OldFarmerJoe; 2013-12-15 at 08:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome work dude! Cheers

Either does not work anymore, or needs better explanation. Sorry I just get a blank text file when i run it

Quote Originally Posted by Korsovan View Post
    Either does not work anymore, or needs better explanation. Sorry I just get a blank text file when i run it
    Here are the instructions at the top of the script.

# Reads Fuzzie's html post to find the current version of mods
    # Generates a tab separated file that can be loaded into a spreadsheet program
    # Will also read a old version of its output file to compare to
    # Marks version with New if it is different then the old version number
    # Will also try to determine the version from the mod files in mods directory.
    # Requires Perl to be installed

# Steps to use:
    # 1. Save Fuzzie's 1st post as an html file, set $htmlFile to the html file name
    # 2. Edit $oldFile line, set it to old file, if you have one
    # 3. Set $modDir to your mod dir, maybe expanded %APPDATA%/.minecraft/mods
    # 4. Run the program
    # 5. Add $trans variables for file that don't match, already done
    # 6. Load the results in a spreadsheet program
    # 7. Update your mods marked with as New in the spreadsheet or log

my $oldFile = "modlist_2013.10.09_03.12.43.txt";
    my $htmlFile = "Fuzzzie's 1.6.4 Mod List.htm";
    #my $modDir = "C:/Users/Bruce/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft/mods";
    my $modDir = "C:/Users/Bruce/Minecraft/Minecraft_1.6.2_ver_1/data/.minecraft/mods"

Did you edit the three lines above?
    I give two examples of the $modDir variable. The one starting with # is commented out.
    Last edited by OldFarmerJoe; 2013-10-24 at 05:28 AM.

Very awesome script, one important thing you forgot to note was to the change the filetype from .txt to .pl to be able to run the script.

Thank you though, it's amazing!

If the script doesn't generate the report file, you probably broke something.
    To trouble shoot the script run it in command line mode. That way you can see any errors, you might have caused.
    Under the Start Menu, select Run. If Run isn't there, do an internet search to find how to turn it on.
    At the prompt enter "cmd", to get to the MS Dos command line mode.
    Use "cd directory", to change to the directory that the script is in.
    To change drives enter the drive, for example "C:", to change to the C drive.
    Enter the name of the script to run it. If you get any errors, fix them.

The New column is noting differences between the mod version found in Fuzzie's html file and the old copy of the output file from the last time you ran the compare script. You have to modify the script to get it to load your last output file.

The newest version of the script will also try to figure out the mod versions from the file names in the mod folder. If the file name version and Fuzzies version match, then Yes, is put in the Match column. The mods are updated at a furious pace, so they might all be new.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFarmerJoe View Post
    The New column is noting differences between the mod version found in Fuzzie's html file and the old copy of the output file from the last time you ran the compare script. You have to modify the script to get it to load your last output file.

The newest version of the script will also try to figure out the mod versions from the file names in the mod folder. If the file name version and Fuzzies version match, then Yes, is put in the Match column. The mods are updated at a furious pace, so they might all be new.
    Some update daily. Some only once. Makes it a little easier to update the list when I know what's likely to have updated.

I'll admit I dont read the mods thread or news much anymore.

Deleted
    Hello OldFarmerJoe,

thanks for your great perl script to check Fuzzzies Minecraft Mod list for needed updates.

I did some changes to the script to fit my personal needs. Hope this is ok.
    I added the ability to hide mods on your created list that are not installed in my mod directory.
    I also added an additional check of the mod files in the subfolder "1.6.4", because there are some mods which MC moves to it.
    Last but not least I changed the comparision's regex to ignor "-", "dev" and ".", because some mods where not count as actual.

I put the script on a NOT listed pastebin.
    If you like to have a look and probably add some of my changes to a new version, feel free.

pastebin.com/gbJzpyJ6

Thanks again for your fabulous work.
    PS: Would have send you a PM, but I'm bloody new to the forum and do not have the permission to do. Same for links... :-(

Cyberghost

I don't have all the mods installed either, but I like the spreadsheet to show me which ones I don't have installed.

In my mods/1.6.4 directory, I see:
    CodeChickenLib-universal-1.6.4-1.0.0.36.jar
    ForgeMultipart-universal-1.6.4-1.0.0.182.jar

But I also see in my mods directory:
    CodeChickenCore 0.9.0.6.jar

So your rule on looking in the 1.6.4 directory isn't always true.

I was thinking about ignoring the "-" and "." when comparing the file names to Fuzzie's version.
    The universal is programmatic too.
    I was just eye balling them to see if they match.

I released the source code, I don't care how you modify it for personal use.
    I just don't like people that take my code and present it as their own.
    I have had that happen. So rude and ungracious.

To be honest, I don't find this script all that useful for comparing the mod versions.
    I don't try to keep up with the latest versions anymore.
    And they update so bloody fast, you wait a week and they are all new.

I do like having a spreadsheet of them though. Its very handy for seeing what
    I am missing or which mods I am trying one at a time.

Deleted
    I'm sorry but I have tried several times but how do I get this to work? I have installed perl but have never used it before and can't seem to run the script?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggatron View Post
    I'm sorry but I have tried several times but how do I get this to work? I have installed perl but have never used it before and can't seem to run the script?
    You should be able to just double click the script.

First off... thanks for this... will make my life easier...

Cyberghost... your script giveth me roors... SOOOO we stay on the original one...

One could perhaps ask politely on how you would go about opening this in say Excel... That meaning... i know HOW, just not the setting where this becomes devided in fields and such...

in advance, thanks

//AiA

The file it generates is tab separated text. In Excel, go to open files, then change it to select all. Normally it just wants to open Excel files. Select Delimited. Selected only Tab. Select Finish. If you make changes, like column widths, highlighting, etc. save it as an Excel Spreadsheet which will change the file extension. You can do something similar in LibreOffice Calc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leggatron View Post
    Run it at the command line and post the error.

Version 4 has been uploaded. See link in original post.
    It now puts a blank line where Fuzzie separates each section,
    which makes the spreadsheet easier to read.
    Last edited by OldFarmerJoe; 2014-04-04 at 03:12 AM.