Battlefield 4 beta and CPU usage

Hey guys!

I've joined the battlefield 4 beta few weeks ago. I was surprised that my gpu could handle high at 60fps, but I was even more suprised when I looked at that cpu!

It's heating quite a lot (peak at 55C), and I've been wondering if someone has been experiencing something similar. Considering that the ambiant is 0, my CPU would be at 32C at max.

So is it the beta... or its normal temps?
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the beta. There are threads on dozens of different forums complaining of 100% CPU usage spikes and huge framerate drops even with excellent hardware.

I've seen those, but nothing actually talking about the temps :/
    My first build:
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Hey guys!

I've joined the battlefield 4 beta few weeks ago. I was surprised that my gpu could handle high at 60fps, but I was even more suprised when I looked at that cpu!

It's heating quite a lot (peak at 55C), and I've been wondering if someone has been experiencing something similar. Considering that the ambiant is 0, my CPU would be at 32C at max.

So is it the beta... or its normal temps?
    What temps do you get while playing other games? When you say "the ambient is 0", I hope you meant to say idle because if that is the ambient temperature, your living inside a freezer.

Otherwise, it likely could be just the beta is unoptimized if your temps are in the 30's while playing other intensive-games.

I've seen those, but nothing actually talking about the temps :/

I wouldn't be surprised if half the people on those forums don't know how to check their temps or what is a safe temp for their CPU. If your CPU is at 100% for some time, it will get pretty darn hot.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    What temps do you get while playing other games? When you say "the ambient is 0", I hope you meant to say idle because if that is the ambient temperature, your living inside a freezer.

Otherwise, it likely could be just the beta is unoptimized if your temps are in the 30's while playing other intensive-games.
    Nah, the 'ambiant 0' is just if I had the ambiant to zero, the temps would be at 30.
    Its the delta =P

The way I wrote it was kind of weird, my bad.

Dota 2 and BF4 are both doing in the 50's
    Planetside 2 seem to be in mid 40's
    Torchlight 2 barely do anything (high 30's, low 40's)
    But battlefield is just getting higher than prime...
    My first build:

Nah, the 'ambiant 0' is just if I had the ambiant to zero, the temps would be at 30.
    Its the delta =P

The way I wrote it was kind of weird, my bad.

Dota 2 and BF4 are both doing in the 50's
    Planetside 2 seem to be in mid 40's
    Torchlight 2 barely do anything (high 30's, low 40's)
    Sounds like shitty optimization to me. One of those games that hog the entire CPU instead of using as much as is needed at the time.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Sounds like shitty optimization to me. One of those games that hog the entire CPU instead of using as much as is needed at the time.
    Yeah its beta after all

But on a 3570k at stock and a evo, what are the expected gaming temps?
    My first build:

Battlefield 4 is using your CPU at the absolute max, This game has the best coding in the world, so no its not "shitty optimization" when it actually uses your 4 cores to the fullest of their abilities, nor is 55C Hot to be even worried about, I can have ambient that gets upto 40C and I'm not even worried when I run at 65C while gaming.
    These chips are designed to handle peak temps of 105C and live to tell about it for its expected lifetime.

One other thing saying your ambient is 0 your CPU would be at 32C is the same as say 25ambient and 55C operating temps is ridiculous, CPUs use upto 25% less power or more when cooled enough.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bf4 beta sucks eggs, wait for patches and drivers. In the meanwhile, try to realize 55c isn't a high temperature for a computer part with electricity being fed into it.
    Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz | 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3 Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 670 SC | ASUS Z77V LK | Seagate Berracuda 2TB
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ymeimei/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    Battlefield 4 is using your CPU at the absolute max, This game has the best coding in the world, so no its not "shitty optimization" when it actually uses your 4 cores to the fullest of their abilities, nor is 55C Hot to be even worried about, I can have ambient that gets upto 40C and I'm not even worried when I run at 65C while gaming.
    These chips are designed to handle peak temps of 105C and live to tell about it for its expected lifetime.

One other thing saying your ambient is 0 your CPU would be at 32C is the same as say 25ambient and 55C operating temps is ridiculous, CPUs use upto 25% less power or more when cooled enough.

I'm sorry, but i stopped taking you seriously right after you said "best coding in the world".
    They released a Beta for a reason, they are not done with optimization and/or it needs more coding done to make sure things work and the thousands of people wanting to play it early just happen to be useful for that .
    Just because it is a big-budget game does not mean it is properly coded to work with a (very) wide variety of hardware/software(it is usually quite the opposite on big-budget games, what-with wanting them to be released by X date, even if it has bugs/glitches).

OT : I wouldn't get worried about your temps with it being a CPU hog and all. You could try reducing the draw distance(if you can) so that it will not have to render as many objects/people at the same time.

Try finding me a game that has better multi-threading . Yes it is in beta, yes there is room for improvements but even then it is still probably the best optimized game yet.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Yeah its beta after all

But on a 3570k at stock and a evo, what are the expected gaming temps?
    Stock 3570K and an Evo is going to be around 50-60°C on full load (P95 might push it to 65-70°C depending on how dusty the inside of the case is and how bad the cable management is).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-10-12 at 09:07 AM.

Why are so many people misinformed about temperatures o.o

When you start reaching over 75 we can start talking about "High temps" when you reach 85 you can start worrying and time to make some changes.

You are like at 50-53% of what temps your CPU can handle, not sure why are people get so afraid.

Deleted
    Temps are fine.

Im also geussing you are running Windows 7?
    It seems BF4 runs better on windows 8, due to directX optimizations or something like that. I think some of the CPU load is put on the GPU.
    Bottom line: you are doing fine

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Temps are fine.

Im also geussing you are running Windows 7?
    It seems BF4 runs better on windows 8, due to directX optimizations or something like that. I think some of the CPU load is put on the GPU.
    Bottom line: you are doing fine
    Nope, that's because Windows 8 has better multicore support.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Better memory management too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    It does run better on Windows 8 by a huge margin; http://www.gamepur.com/news/12283-ba...ring-incr.html

A 780 running at 1230MHz/6250MHz and a 3930K@4.4 + recording with broadcaster at 50K Kbps rate @win8 gave me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inYH-MhIWDQ

Ive tried to playing it with 4 cores enabled and HT disabled it did have some dips to 30-40 fps but the CPU clock was only at 4.4GHz, average gpu loads were around 60-70%. Many people claimed to have a lot of issues solved and gained massive performance for the beta.

Did you forget about the GPU? :P

I can confirm the really high cpu usage.

4770k OC to 4.6 and it was using near 100% of my cpu at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    Try finding me a game that has better multi-threading . Yes it is in beta, yes there is room for improvements but even then it is still probably the best optimized game yet.
    Are you a programmer at D.I.C.E to know these things?

Better yet find me a game that needs so many threads. If you try to offload the same function to more thread to get better performance you may end up degrading performance instead. I've seen basic windows programs use a ton of cpu because they were messed up. Doesn't mean it was better optimized.
    Last edited by SoulForge; 2013-10-12 at 08:09 PM.

55C is pretty normal for a CPU using 80-100% of its resources. If that's +55C over the ambient temp then you have a problem, but that's not how you should be reading your temps since your ambient temps change depending on season.

In my experience with the beta even if the CPU usage is dialed up I don't get any lag at all, so I don't mind the high CPU usage as long as it gets dialed back when something else needs the CPU.

Synthaxx, I'm just curious; do you use Anti-aliasing post? If yes, I don't know how you can stand that rendering effect. Makes everything so blurry.