Poll: Who do you side with in the Ashenvale conflict?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    And those are the same orcs that invaded and started cutting down trees. What if someone walks into your home and starts grabbing your stuff? "Sorry. I didn't know there was someone living here."

Would you be like: "Oh, okay dude. No problem man."?
    The basic idea of this conflict reminds me why the plot of Avatar is pretty much the worst thing ever (even tho the movie is amazing thanks to its graphics and effects).

A clash of two cultures. One can easily learn from the other, one has needs for a thing that the other possesses, and it's quite clear that both have quite strong military. Even tho, both sides REFUSE to even attempt any sort of diplomatic resolution. Because one side is obviously right, and the other side is obviously wrong. Why would you start talking in such a situation.

How is this done in a video game? Both sides have their rights and wrongs, both attempt to pursue their needs. Orcs obviously need lumber, and are right that from their perspective, Night Elves are wasting it. Night Elves have a strong connection to those trees and are strictly territorial. Both in some cases attempt to talk about the problem a few times in between the fights. Yep, an old video game tackled a problem in a way more mature way than a recent top grossing movie.

Anyway, I'm with the Orcs on this one. Night Elves point sounds like some activists rambling about things they do not understand anyway, and Orcs, well, they sure have rights to burn and conquer. And well, wood would be usefull as well.

For the Horde! ...Ashenvale is ancestral forest for Night Elves. Orcs are new settlers and barrens are not really rich on wood so it's their best option.

So im siding with Elves, "This lands belonged to our people for centuries, You have no place in here." ....Also FOR THE HORDE!

Deleted
    Thrall's peacenik routine was always a joke from day one onward. Orcs invading Ashenvale to plunder natural resources, Sylvanas plaguing whoever she wanted and using prisoners for horrible experiments, but we still get years worth of "OH WHY CAN'T THE ALLIANCE SEE THAT WE JUST WANT PEEEACE?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Or the fact that the night elves had been inhabiting that for centuries now? Orcs are alien invaders. Imagine if earth was invaded and plundered for its resources. Would you still say 'the aliens are right. We should not have attacked them back! WE HAD NO CLAIM TO THESE RESOURCES!"?
    They didn't know elves inhabited Ashenvale when they first marched in there, you know. From their perspective it was just a forest like any other. And when they waltzed in and started chopping away, the elves didn't give them any warning either, just went ahead and attacked them.

Heck, Grom even tried explaining the situation to Cenarius but he refused to listen.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead_MAX View Post
    For the Horde! ...Ashenvale is ancestral forest for Night Elves. Orcs are new settlers and barrens are not really rich on wood so it's their best option.

So im siding with Elves, "This lands belonged to our people for centuries, You have no place in here." ....Also FOR THE HORDE!

There is someting absolutely wrong about this post.

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    They didn't know elves inhabited Ashenvale when they first marched in there, you know. From their perspective it was just a forest like any other. And when they waltzed in and started chopping away, the elves didn't give them any warning either, just went ahead and attacked them.

Heck, Grom even tried explaining the situation to Cenarius but he refused to listen.
    Well, honestly, I think most people and races would done as the nelves did. Just attack without warning when they see a threat appear at their border. Even more if its an alien species you never seen before (not sure if the nelves seen orcs before that, except a few?) that start to chop down their ancient forest.

And Grom? Wasn't he more like, chopping down nelves left and right? I don't think Cenarius wouldn't listen to a guy with an axe stained of his people blood and such.

It's basically like asking if you want to see Ashenvale destroyed by the orcs, or preserved.

Could everyone stop with the retarded "break into your house" argument, the orcs had no reason to think anyone lived in those forests. This isnt like someone breaking into your house and taking your stuff, its more like a group of refuges finding and abandoned building and seeing if they can strip it for resources. The night elves attacked first without warning and made no attempt to communicate to the orcs.

Now would things be different if they did? Probably not, Grom was never a diplomat, maybe if thrall was there.

As for settling in a desert, thrall did so specifically as penance for the crimes of the orcs in the first and second war, and where else would they settle? the barrens or some other arid wasteland? all the good land on Kalimdor belongs the nightelves anway, would end up with the same conflict. The night elves do not even use most of the land.

The orcs certainly had a right to acquire the wood their people needed for homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmina View Post
    Could everyone stop with the retarded "break into your house" argument, the orcs had no reason to think anyone lived in those forests. This isnt like someone breaking into your house and taking your stuff, its more like a group of refuges finding and abandoned building and seeing if they can strip it for resources. The night elves attacked first without warning and made no attempt to communicate to the orcs.

Now would things be different if they did? Probably not, Grom was never a diplomat, maybe if thrall was there.

As for settling in a desert, thrall did so specifically as penance for the crimes of the orcs in the first and second war, and where else would they settle? the barrens or some other arid wasteland? all the good land on Kalimdor belongs the nightelves anway, would end up with the same conflict. The night elves do not even use most of the land.

The orcs certainly had a right to acquire the wood their people needed for homes.

"Hey, a beautiful, thriving forest with settlements, homes and indications of life. I'm sure that's deserted right!"

Deleted
    Jobs done!

10+ Year Old Account
    Night elves have always had the stronger case in Ashenvale.

Somewhat balanced by the Frostwolves having a stronger case in Alterac.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post

Fully agreed. Used to be ish-ish on the Frostwolves, but no longer.

What settlements? did you actually play the mission? or even go to Ashenvale during vanilla?

There were no signs of civilization beyond some ancient ruins, the remains of their Highbourne society from 10000 years ago. No signs, nothing. There was nothing to suggest to the orcs that the land belonged to anyone.

Deleted

there is no reason to stop that argument since it is true. But so you say because the orcs had to reason to think anyone lived there it is just okay to find a abandon house that turned out to be a church(since Ashenvale is still a religies place) THE NIGHT elf did not attack first, play god damn warcraft 3 first. Answer me this, Where the orcs attacked in ashenvale? yes, what where they doing? ripping down trees that means a lot to night elfs.

And YES Thrall said he wanted to build ogrimmar in durator as penance, IT IS NOT much of a penance for old crimes to start chupping down sacres tress and then killing the defenders of the tress. The night elves to not use all their land no, but Ashenvale belonged to the elves, the orcs had to right to acquire the wood without asking. All go back to IT is not a penance if you start to murder in order to get your way

man id side with the orcs....

same shit goes here again, what is good and what is evil? In their eyes, maybe they are trying to feed their pixel families bla bla so they need the wood for say, cooking and shelter/heat cuz you know,it gets very cold in the desert...so by their standards this is considered good cuz by the lore orcs are dying out bla bla bla

in the nelf eyes they see it as evil by cutting down their forest....well, new trees will regrow you know if you plant them so they shouldn't get upset

again maybe the orcs can put that stuff to a better use, you know like build machinery and stuff...like the white settlers in 1600s , the Indians didn't use all that timber it was just growing there doing nothing but the settlers made a bunch of furniture, arms, tools ,housing etc from that wood.

What settlements? did you actually play the mission? or even go to Ashenvale during vanilla?

There were no signs of civilization beyond some ancient ruins, the remains of their Highbourne society from 10000 years ago. No signs, nothing. There was nothing to suggest to the orcs that the land belonged to anyone.
    Night elves ain't really for huge signs on the borders saying "Welcome potential lumberjacks, this is Ashenvale, our ancestral territory. We like to keep things growing and not interfere with it. Please do not chop them unless you want us to declare war on you. Thank you. Night Elves."

Deleted
    Night Elves. The Horde can surely plunder lumber elsewhere, we could always make use of what happened in the Barrens and turn all of it into one big forest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post

In fact Alterac Valley is just the reversal of Warsong Gulch. A stronger case than the other, but not a perfectly "right" or "wrong" one.

Excatly like Orcs vs Night Elves, the Stormspike dwarves were invaders for their own reasons, and the Frostwolf over-reacted. The situation is identical, just reversed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Considering the Orcs walked into their sacred groves, set their ancients on fire and killed otherwise peaceful priestesses at the lake... yeah Taurajo wasn't really much a tragety compared to what the Horde did to Ashenvale.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Night Elves. It's been their land for countless years. I feel protective of nature in general, so I dislike Orcs a lot because of this.