Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    HC Galakras Burn Phase

    So we had a couple of hours on HC galakras on thursday night with the closest we got a 16% wipe. We're currently following the "two group" tactic. Our raid leader claims this is the best way to do the fight but our gm believes that we could use our healing cooldowns and DRs more effectively if we stacked up as one.

    A friend in another guild who is 9/14 hc also says their group stacks up. So I'm wondering what the general consensus is. Has anyone here had good results with one group? If so what was your healer comp? We are two healing with Drood and Pala.

    No logs because apparently I need to archive my logs or something

    Welcome to WoD Please enjoy your stay!

  2. #2
    I've never killed it any other way other than the "2 group" strategy. Killed it the first week in err 2 or 3 pulls it felt like, and haven't wiped since using 2 groups. 11/14 HC 25 experienced

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ItcheeBeard View Post
    So we had a couple of hours on HC galakras on thursday night with the closest we got a 16% wipe. We're currently following the "two group" tactic. Our raid leader claims this is the best way to do the fight but our gm believes that we could use our healing cooldowns and DRs more effectively if we stacked up as one.

    A friend in another guild who is 9/14 hc also says their group stacks up. So I'm wondering what the general consensus is. Has anyone here had good results with one group? If so what was your healer comp? We are two healing with Drood and Pala.

    No logs because apparently I need to archive my logs or something
    We just stack and burn because, well, screw trying when we can kill it without fail that way. MW/Disc + bear(me) HotW healing for the 2nd half of its health.

    Keep in mind the DoT ticks for less the more people it's passed through. Looking at logs, the first person to take it (the tank) gets the full 30k/stack, the 2nd person was getting 18k/stack, the 3rd would get 12k/stack, and everyone after would get 10k/stack. Even just straight burning our highest DoT ticks are only ~150k/s on the rogue (second person getting it) and then maybe a few 90-100ks... which is admittedly pretty high but we don't have an issue with it.

    Still, I would imagine 2 groups would work a lot better. I personally wouldn't bother dropping stacks or anything, really if your DPS is low enough to need to pulsing flames is probably going to wreck you later on. It would work if you don't mind coordinating a little, we just don't bother because we can just brute-force through it.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2013-10-12 at 03:58 AM.

  4. #4
    We use 2 groups, healing does not even get intensive for us before it dies.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  5. #5
    We use 2 groups and it's definitely easier. I remember in my old guild we stacked up as one group for normal on the first week, and it was actually harder like that on normal than it was doing 2 groups on heroic.

  6. #6
    It's RNG. If the same group gets 10 fireballs in a row, you'll start to suffer. The other half of the raid, on the other hand, will be fine.
    As for optimising barrier etc - no reason you can't do that with 2 groups. Might aswell get used to placing people so you're in 2 groups and can place ground-CD's like barrier in between and hit both already - it will be neccessary for Thok (AKA 2x groups 10 yards apart, put barrier right in the middle, hit both groups with it).

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    It's RNG. If the same group gets 10 fireballs in a row, you'll start to suffer. The other half of the raid, on the other hand, will be fine.
    As for optimising barrier etc - no reason you can't do that with 2 groups. Might aswell get used to placing people so you're in 2 groups and can place ground-CD's like barrier in between and hit both already - it will be neccessary for Thok (AKA 2x groups 10 yards apart, put barrier right in the middle, hit both groups with it).
    If group 1 got the orb severa times in a row and another player in group 1 get its, he can kite it over group 2, competely negating any RNG.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  8. #8
    Just stack in one group and have people step to the rear of the group when their dot gets to 4, then back up when it falls off. There is no need for more than one group.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    Just stack in one group and have people step to the rear of the group when their dot gets to 4, then back up when it falls off. There is no need for more than one group.
    I was gonna say the same thing. Grouping up and dropping stacks are not mutually exclusive goals if you do it right.

  10. #10
    We 2 shot it this week, and for the burn phase we simply had 2 stack points and we called people were to go when they had the debuff.
    Macphisto, discipline priest | Karuzo, mistweaver monk

  11. #11
    Just wondering did you pull the boss to the NPCs?, they do quite a lot of damage and it really makes the encounter a lot easier.

  12. #12
    We just stack up and those whose debuff starts to stack too high, leaves the stack until it's gone. Never had any issues with that tactic.

  13. #13
    We use two groups. The easiest way we found to handle it, is that the same group stacks 3 times, then the other group stacks 3 times regardless of who gets fixated. This allows the dot to fall off.

  14. #14
    just stacked as 1 group and 2 people with highest stacks just moved out and reset, pretty easy.

  15. #15
    If you die at 16% at best it sounds like you guys are doing something wrong. Not letting the stacks fall off you fast enough.

    We've tried both things, but now we're just stacking all up and let the targeted person run behind, and those with 3-4 stacks to the side, for those few seconds it takes for it to get removed.
    When that part is working it's rather trivial.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagidin View Post
    Just wondering did you pull the boss to the NPCs?, they do quite a lot of damage and it really makes the encounter a lot easier.
    This one too.
    Just pull the boss down to face the bridge.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

  16. #16
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    102
    Melee left foot, Ranged right foot. If you get too many on one group, have the target run over the other group. Ez PZ.

  17. #17
    Pretty much as I expected. No conclusive answers and no real new information. Thanks all the same though guys

    Welcome to WoD Please enjoy your stay!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakawa View Post
    We use two groups. The easiest way we found to handle it, is that the same group stacks 3 times, then the other group stacks 3 times regardless of who gets fixated. This allows the dot to fall off.
    We do the same.
    Left group takes 3, then right group takes 3, repeat. If you get fixated on the wrong side you move.
    Makes it much less RNG for only a little extra movement.

  19. #19
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    102
    Not sure how much more conclusive you need this to be? Two groups, allows each group to reset there stacks periodically. Reduces damage taken signifigantly, reduces healing needed, and simply makes the phase far easier and very manageable.

  20. #20
    We start in 2 groups and later when the damage starts to get out of hand we stack into one group, so we can use barrier, spirit link etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •