Page 1 of 16
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why gearing in Timeless Isle is worse than New Dungeon

    Why gearing in Timeless Isle is worse than new dungeon?
    -people are just walking on an isle, killing mindless mobs,
    -they can get gear just after they find chests(don't even need to kill mobs),
    -new dungeon means boss fights, so people would be more prepared for a raid,
    -new dungeons would be overall better than Timeless Isle, which is grind fest(of course doing dungeons is also grinding, but not as much as Timeless Isle, people enjoy more doing dungeons),

    I just came to this conclusion after seeing many people in LFR with Timeless Isle gear, they were doing less than 50-60K DPS and they were just bad.

    I think that Blizzard was just lazy, they just made an isle with loot all over the place, which is pretty stupid for me.
    What's your opinion?

    This thread isn't LFR vs Flex, LFR vs Normal/Heroic.
    It's thread about gearing though timeless isle vs gearing in a new dungeons.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2013-10-13 at 10:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Brewmaster Agile Emily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,419
    I'd rather be able to get gear on my own instead of having to wait 30+ minutes in a queue as a DPS, for nothing to then drop.

  3. #3
    I prefer isle, get to do my own thing, don't need to worry about people taking loot, kicking me, etc.
    opinions are exactly what they are.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Mear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    524
    And I loved timeless because I think instances and raids gets booring as hell after 2-4 clears since it becomes more about getting gear then rather having fun, while I had a blast in timeless isles and the gear there was more of a bonus. + The whole account bound <3<3<3 since there is no chance in hell I'm going to to the same thing I have already done tons of times before just to make them useful.
    But then again I'm that person who also thinks the whole concept of instanced raids and such as endgame is an outdated concept and the quicker we get away from it in mmo's the better.

  5. #5
    Prefer the Isle, its faster , more fun , theres lots of vanity stuff and pets/mounts. Imo its more content than 3 dungeons...

    And OP, LFR is full of bad people no matter how much gear you give them.

  6. #6
    I think the Timeless Isle is a fantastic place. I was very glad to hear that they intend to expand the concept onto the normal questing experience in the next expansion.

    It's fun and immersive, and that's what matters. If you want really good gear, you'll still need to learn the encounters and dedicate your time in a normal or heroic raid.

    But if you just want pretty good gear for your characters without having to run through tedious dungeons, then you'll just go to the Isle and adventure away!


    I will admit that the Isle feels a bit unnatural, sort of like a testing area where they just wanted us to get a lot of gear. But it's fairly obvious that it actually is a testing area before they take the concept to the normal game world, where it will feel more natural and less OP.
    "Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out farther than the brim of his shady hat.

    Author of: Mount 2.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)
    Author of: World Enhancement Patch 1.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)

  7. #7
    High Overlord Homnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    144
    People in LFR are not that bad because they went and got gear from timeless isle, they would be just as bad with Dungeon gear.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    -people are just walking on an isle, killing mindless mobs,
    The same thing is done in dungeons. Just pulling and aoe-killing mindless npc's with no effort.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    -they can get gear just after they find chests(don't even need to kill mobs),
    You get gear from dungeons with next to no effort too, so I really don't see the difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    -new dungeon means boss fights, so people would be more prepared for a raid,
    Ehm no, the difficulty of heroic dungeons is so low at the moment that the mechanics doesn't matter and you don't learn anything from them. In fact I would say that you become less skilled as a new player because you might start to expect that the raiding content is that easy.

    The elite npc's on Timeless Isle are more dangerous than the bosses in the dungeons, my Warlock with almost 800k health dies from two of their abilities if I'm not careful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    -new dungeons would be overall better than Timeless Isle, which is grind fest(of course doing dungeons is also grinding, but not as much as Timeless Isle, people enjoy more doing dungeons),
    That is a matter of opinion, personally I hate dungeons because they are so easy (and no challenge mode isn't a great alternative since it's all about doing it as quickly is possible, and the actual fights are still quite easy, they were a lot of fun though). I prefer Timeless Isle even if I haven't been there much because in overall it gives you more options of what to do than dungeons, which are just pull everything and aoe it down.
    Last edited by Chaozu; 2013-10-13 at 10:33 AM.

  9. #9
    Dreadlord Jawless Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The last place you look
    Posts
    928
    i'd wouldnt mind both

    more choice is good choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

  10. #10
    I prefer the Isle, but it gets old if youre unlucky and dont get any drops for hours. I have about 3 full sets of leather gear waiting in my bags, but i want cloth. I have a total of 0 chars that use leather

  11. #11
    Over 9000! Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    9,097
    The Timeless Isles is a great way to gear up, but it is very boring and requires absolutely zero effort, skill or practice.

    It may be fine for those who've been through the mill enough times, or are missing just that one or two pieces of gear for their off-set, but for new players needing full (and obtaining) a full set, it does nothing to promote an active approach to learning a new specialisation.

  12. #12
    Let's be realistic here. I don't think something like Timeless Isle would have been implemented in the beginning of an expansion because it is essentially a catch-up mechanism for the END of the expansion. It gives people who have been focusing on one toon, or didn't have the time to gear out others, or were just unlucky as shit with drops, a chance to get in on the end-game raiding. It's the MoP version of the the 3 heroic dungeons at the end ot Cata or the heroic dungeons at the end of Wrath; a way to get some cheap and easy gear, with a little bit of challenge involved and some other interesting twists thrown in.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    The same thing is done in dungeons. Just pulling and aoe-killing mindless npc's with no effort.
    2 Words: Cataclysm Heroics :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    You get gear from dungeons with next to no effort too, so I really don't see the difference.
    My first answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Ehm no, the difficulty of heroic dungeons is so low at the moment that the mechanics doesn't matter and you don't learn anything from them. In fact I would say that you become less skilled as a new player because you might start to expect that the raiding content is that easy.
    Also my first answer.
    And also you got my point, people with Timeless Isle gear expect raiding content easy, because they're less skilled... all they do is grinding mobs and don't learn anything from them.
    But if the bosses in dungeons had similar mechanics I'd like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    In fact, the elite npc's on Timeless Isle are more dangerous than the bosses in dungeons, my Warlock with almost 800k health dies from two of their abilities if I'm not careful.
    Their abilities are strong, but their mechanics are... bad. They're using 1-2 abilities in a rotation, I don't really expect anyone(with a little experience) to die there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Homnar View Post
    People in LFR are not that bad because they went and got gear from timeless isle, they would be just as bad with Dungeon gear.
    Yes, I think you have right, but as I said. Bosses with similar mechanics +better gear(not a random thing that you can get from looting a chest/killing a mob in 5-15 sec) would be more enjoyable, at least for me.

  14. #14
    Warchief Velthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,164
    There are a new dungeons?

    Signature made by my best friend Aryiana.

  15. #15
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post


    That is a matter of opinion, personally I hate dungeons because they are so easy (and no challenge mode isn't a great alternative since it's all about doing it as quickly is possible, and the actual fights are still quite easy, they were a lot of fun though). I prefer Timeless Isle even if I haven't been there much because in overall it gives you more options of what to do than dungeons, which are just pull everything and aoe it down.
    That's the most hilarious fucking double think either. I swear do you people even read what you post? TI is no harder than any dungeon ever and is even less in terms of options. It's just a fucking grind on a tiny island. That's it. Not very much choice there. Everything on the island is pull and take down. Either cause your grinding the mob or want to get to the chest.


    Dungeons are better. PERIOD. End of fucking story. Dungeons with a proper valor system in place not only gave you great catch up but they provided an actual alternative to endless raid or fucking die grind this game has become.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    That's the most hilarious fucking double think either. I swear do you people even read what you post? TI is no harder than any dungeon ever and is even less in terms of options. It's just a fucking grind on a tiny island. That's it. Not very much choice there. Everything on the island is pull and take down. Either cause your grinding the mob or want to get to the chest.


    Dungeons are better. PERIOD. End of fucking story. Dungeons with a proper valor system in place not only gave you great catch up but they provided an actual alternative to endless raid or fucking die grind this game has become.
    That's what I wanted to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    There are a new dungeons?
    No, there are not new dungeons. Read thread, it's about gearing through Timeless Island(MoP) vs gearing through dungeon(Wotlk/Cata).

  17. #17
    Personal opinions and preferences be opinions and preferences, yo. Neither is better or worse than the other. Personally, I'd prefer dungeons. But I don't hate the Isle. I can see the appeal in it for a lot of people.

    My only gripe is the randomness. I'd prefer if I could actually buy specific pieces of gear with Timeless Coins, that actually had pre-defined stat distributions, rather than gamble with random enchants. With the random enchant gamble, for me personally, it's literally iLevel booster fodder.
    HEAVIEST: 361 lbs.
    CURRENT: 257.6 lbs.
    GOAL: Healthy 185 by end of 2014.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    2 Words: Cataclysm Heroics :-)


    My first answer.


    Also my first answer.
    I loved the early cataclysm heroics, and would love for Blizzard to at the very least add another dungeon difficulty and put the early cataclysm heroic version there, so that those who can't handle it can keep on grinding their mindless npc's with no effort without being able to complain about losing out on dungeons. Alas, I doubt Blizzard will ever do this, it would be too good to be true.

    This is something I would like them to do:
    Heroic dungeons -> regular dungeons
    new mode -------> heroic dungeons, requires a premade group (otherwise people will call out for nerfs).
    challenge modes--> challenge mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    And also you got my point, people with Timeless Isle gear expect raiding content easy, because they're less skilled... all they do is grinding mobs and don't learn anything from them.
    But if the bosses in dungeons had similar mechanics I'd like that.
    If the dungeons were more difficult I would agree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Their abilities are strong, but their mechanics are... bad. They're using 1-2 abilities in a rotation, I don't really expect anyone(with a little experience) to die there.
    Still better than the current dungeons, since you actually can die.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmond View Post
    Prefer the Isle, its faster , more fun , theres lots of vanity stuff and pets/mounts. Imo its more content than 3 dungeons...

    And OP, LFR is full of bad people no matter how much gear you give them.
    IMO, loot doesn't mean it's more content. The vanity stuff is like so much vanity stuff, interesting the first time you click it then it goes in the trash or storage and you only look at it when making space. The pets/mounts are interesting for collectors, but even then not all that much. Spend 30 seconds hitting a rare with 20 other people not in your group and hope it dropped. As for more content than 3 dungeons, at least in dungeons you get boss mechanics that can mimic various fights in the current raid tier. For those of us who actually pay attention while playing this is the first introduction to things that can easily wipe a raid group and helps with dealing with those mechanics when you come across them. The isle is just a bunch of random mobs, most of which are things we've already fought, and none of it is engaging. You sit around waiting for those few rares to spawn that you're farming(usually camping the actual spawn or you'll miss it) or run around killing stuff for worthless timeless coins.

    LFR is bad because it's so incredibly easy, with stacking buffs to make it easier, that people don't have to pay attention when mechanics are explained or when they're happening in fight. If they created challenging heroics that mimic'd the raids and people had to gear through them I think LFR would do a whole hell of a lot better. The problem is they move further and further away from that and LFR keeps getting worse and worse necessitating them making it even easier.
    Last edited by Vegas82; 2013-10-13 at 10:47 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Dungeons are better. PERIOD. End of fucking story.
    No. You're wrong. I share your preference, but you're wrong in assuming your preference is superior. Don't be so mad about it.
    HEAVIEST: 361 lbs.
    CURRENT: 257.6 lbs.
    GOAL: Healthy 185 by end of 2014.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •