Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Christopher Columbus was awefull

Deleted
    We had this thread and that link only last week.

This also isn't news. Until the thread last week, I thought this was common knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's one of those things that's far enough back in history that we don't much care for the truth being common knowledge. Hitler will be like that eventually (lets godwin it now before later, cos why not )

Listen. Don't you dare criticize a man that's giving me a day off of school.

No news here. Frankly I'm surprised whenever someone thinks they discovered this. What we really need to do is scrap this BS holiday and replace it with another (we have too few Holidays in the US as is).

We also need to rethink how we teach the kids. In first grade they taught me of the brave explorer Columbus who discovered America. We sang happy little songs about CC and his ships. We had a nice warm fuzzy feeling about him.

In 3rd grade they taught me of the cruel conqueror Columbus who massacred the locals and took slaves, and that was leaving out the graphic details. A little more consistency in our education would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Listen. Don't you dare criticize a man that's giving me a day off of school.
    bet you'd not be making a joke about somebody lopping off your hands and skullfucking your 10 year old daughter. this shit attitude is the main problem with everything, if it doesn't directly affect you right now, you don't care. when life punches you in the face, you're gonna come to hate that indifferent, lazy attitude

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-10-13 at 07:12 PM.

leif ericson was much cooler and got there 500 years earlier

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by washacked View Post
    bet you'd not be making a joke about somebody lopping off your hands and skullfucking your 10 year old daughter. this shit attitude is the main problem with everything, if it doesn't directly affect you right now, you don't care. when life punches you in the face, you're gonna come to hate that indifferent, lazy attitude
    You have some issues, just saying.

Perhaps it's time you found help or counseling?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    leif ericson was much cooler and got there 500 years earlier
    Indeed, he discovered America and had the sense not to tell anyone about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by washacked View Post
    Wow, and this took a turn for the worst.

A lot of us don't celebrate the terrible man Columbus was, but the day off from school indeed.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Wow, 1491, thats like 500 years ago.

Give the guy a break; there were just as savage behaviour going on... this summer in Syria if I'm not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    OH MY GOD REALLY I THOUGHT HE WAS A FUCKING SAINT * he said sarcastically * No but in actuality obviously he was horabile, He committed mass genocides on native tribes One of his crew members found the land that is known as the Bahamas, a prize was to be given to the person who found it, so Columbus said he found it and received the prize. He traded with the natives unfairly and shipped them all to Spain to be slaves. He exaggerated the amount of gold he found, when really there was very little. Under his order natives were killed, raped and tortured if they didn't find enough gold. He tried to convert the natives. He is convinced that he "discovered" land that people were already living on. He literally destroyed a whole population and its culture, religion, and traditions. The earth was already proven to be round by an Egyptian Greek scientist. He was greedy and he only voyaged for three things: Gold, Glory, and God. In his search for gold he killed many people and almost wiped out an entire civilization by himself. He did this for many reasons. One of course was for personal gain and the other was for Spain. If he did not get gold for Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, they would not finance Columbus' trip. Columbus had to pay the Queen and King back and he would do anything to do that. This need to repay his debt can be found in Columbus' diaries as he raced from one Caribbean island to the next, stealing anything of value and killing or capturing Native Americans.
    He forced them to find gold where there was none, and if they did not find any Columbus would kill them. Columbus also forced the natives to become slaves, most of the natives died on their way to Spain. Columbus and his men threw natives corpses over the side of the boat and into the ocean. The natives that did not become slaves worked on plantations or mines where they too would die from the hard working conditions. The natives did nothing to deserve these harsh conditions; they greeted the Europeans to their land with open arms.

Deleted
    He was a typical capitalist, enslave, abuse and exploit everything for the most profit (morale has no place in capitalism), thats why US people celebrate him.

Infracted: Please don't be insulting towards half of the political spectrum.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-10-14 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therandom View Post
    He was a typical capitalist, enslave, abuse and exploit everything for the most profit (morale has no place in capitalism), thats why US people celebrate him.
    That's not why we celebrate him. It's because it's a day off from school and such.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    The man was a evil murdering psychopath and I don't even get a day off in his name.

Life is hard.
    Putin khuliyo

It's interesting to see people say things like, oh who didn't already know this... and I'm glad that a more accurate picture of him is being taught in schools. But seriously, when I was a kid he was still the "columbus discovered america" hero/hey everyone the world is round guy. And I'm not THAT old.

Deleted
    I find it not suitable for the land of the free and brave to celebrate such a person. First time i heard that the States have such a day.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So who the hell is Bartolomé de las Casas?
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Moshrag View Post
    I find it not suitable for the land of the free and brave to celebrate such a person. First time i heard that the States have such a day.
    Seeing you don't live here, it really doesn't affect you.