Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I'd like to see open tagging on everything. There is something wrong in an MMO when the prevailing attitude when encountering other players fighting a rare or hard NPC is "I'll just sit on my mount until you die so I can tag, or fly away when you kill it."
    Exactly I don't understand the 'fun to be a jerk'

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    GW2 there are alot of teamplay events going on to get some exp/loot.
    While in WoW, you can do basicly everything alone outside dungeons, and there is everything shared already.
    Yeah that's what i didn't really like about gw2 aside from getting one shotted in pvp by assasins.

While levelling in Dread Wastes the other day I happened across a rare mob and decided to try my luck at killing it. So bravely my prot paladin pulled the rare and hacked away at his enormous health pool for several minutes when suddenly along came a 90 warlock on his flying mount. The warlock sat there for a while watching me chip away at the rare's health before flying off.

Moments later he returned, bringing a dozen of those cone attacking spiders with him, dragging them all on top of me so that their cone attacks would kill me. Needless to say I died. He pulled the rare and killed it. When queried about his behaviour his reply was "This way was more fun". My only consoling fact was that his repair bill was much, much larger than mine.

There are lots of things Wow could learn from GW2, and I'm sure they will. They'll just be really slow about it.

WoW with a subscription fee of 180 dollars per year has around 6 times more players worldwide than a sub less GW2.

Difference: 900 million dollars yearly revenue.

So I don't think Blizzard has anything to learn from this thing.

Certainly not seamless open worlds which are not even existent in the "loading screens of closed zones" in GW.

It is like comparing the number one best seller for 9 years with some free pamflets distributed at the local station.

Yep, WoW doesn't need a lesson from any MMORPG in these last 9 years. Certainly not these with free to play MMO mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    Moments later he returned, bringing a dozen of those cone attacking spiders with him, dragging them all on top of me so that their cone attacks would kill me. Needless to say I died. He pulled the rare and killed it. When queried about his behaviour his reply was "This way was more fun". My only consoling fact was that his repair bill was much, much larger than mine.
    You know, one of the fun things in GW2 is that monsters can/will attack each other. So lets say in your example the veteran had an AE attack, you could have dragged him into spiders and when he hit them, they'd turn on him for the attack and help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    You know, one of the fun things in GW2 is that monsters can/will attack each other. So lets say in your example the veteran had an AE attack, you could have dragged him into spiders and when he hit them, they'd turn on him for the attack and help you...
    I could totally get behind that being in WoW; Pull whole map, let mobs kill each other, loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This isn't a game v game thread btw!

For example the mob tagging and material nodes in GW2 is perfect. It's impossible to steal kills or nodes in GW2, because of this players aren't discouraged to help each other because each player gets an equal share of loot. This creates a friendlier and more cooperative community, example if you die in GW2 or attacking a powerful mob you're guaranteed somebody will help. I realized the importance of this the other day when me and a friend was battling a rare elite, two others appeared but didn't help, they saw us losing and instead waited for us to die so they could take the kill for themselves... I genuinely believe if Blizz made all mobs like those rares on Timeless then I genuinely believe the WoW community would become more helpful and pleasant
    Actually Timeless isle, is like the proving ground for the wow developers, they have been trying a lot of new things in a small area to see how people react to it, if they like it... GREAT! if they don't, they just don't have to use it anymore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    WoW with a subscription fee of 180 dollars per year has around 6 times more players worldwide than a sub less GW2.

Certainly not seamless open worlds which are not even existent in the "loading screens of closed zones" in GW.

It is like comparing the number one best seller for 9 years with some free pamflets distributed at the local station.

Yep, WoW doesn't need a lesson from any MMORPG in these last 9 years. Certainly not these with free to play MMO mechanics.
    You're aware Blizzard doesn't agree? WoW has already incorporated various features from F2P games which helped achieve those numbers

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Exactly I don't understand the 'fun to be a jerk'
    I really don't consider it the other person being a jerk. If they help you, they get nothing. If they wait, and you die, then they get a chance at it. Having everything be open tap would transform the game from one in which you don't like seeing other players, to one in which you do.

If they are worried about people dotting or hitting once and leaving, don't make mobs scale in health, and only reward loot to people who participate in the kill.

10+ Year Old Account

Not sure where you are getting the 6x number, GW2 has 2.5 million logging in weekly. Remember the game is only available in NA & EU atm and only localized for 4 languages so far. It will be launching in China soon, GW2 China is in beta now.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not too worried about some of their gameplay mechanics getting implemented in WoW (as we have seen, it already is); HOWEVER, especially with Blizzard revamping their server architecture now, I would like to see GW2's patching/maintenance system implemented. As we have seen with Blizzard's last interview, they do use some of this time for testing it themselves but this would still work if they pushed the patch to another virtualized server first before pushing us onto it.

From a world pvp standpoint it is fun I had to fight off 3 alliance with my friend to secure the kill on one of those dinosaur rares. They needed like 3+ people two kill it and we were just two manning it was some of the most fun I have had in wow.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

WoW was founded on refining mechanics from EQ and such, and has constantly and consistently appropriated and refined features from Add-ons and other MMO's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I could totally get behind that being in WoW; Pull whole map, let mobs kill each other, loot.
    Stuff is still on a leash, so doesn't work like that, but it can be fun to start an NPC fight then come in to mop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Not sure where you are getting the 6x number, GW2 has 2.5 million logging in weekly. Remember the game is only available in NA & EU atm and only localized for 4 languages so far. It will be launching in China soon, GW2 China is in beta now.
    Its typical BenBos math. Not only his numbers are off, but he also makes multiple oversights as long as it help to "prove" his point.
    1.) He counts Chinese players as full subscribers even though we all know Chinese have different payment plans.
    2.) He directly compares Asian+Western playerbase of WoW with Western only playerbase of other games (which inflates WoW numbers x2)
    2.) He ignores the fact that F2P games also makes some profit by selling virtual goods, currencies etc.
    3.) He ignores box sales profits as he stated multiple times already that games without subs = piece of ***. Yeah, I am pretty sure GTA5 is a colossal failure.

Where have you learned math????? Also there is many games who have many active players that is higher then wow LOL for Example last reported to have 20 million.

Also you do not know how many players Guild Wars 2 has because they never released a offical number. They did however say that there is around 2.5million loggins per week. WOW has adapted many F2p MMO features the cash shop is one of them and now even tho its only on asian servers there is XP pots.

Stop being blind for once and realise there is a lot of shit WOW has done that it was not the first to do. Hell just in 5.4 they have added a few feathers that is like GW2 and finally if you didn't know not all 7 million subs pay 15$ a much there is a huge chuck that pay around 5$ for 3 months worth of gametime because there paysetup is a lot different.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I like you completely gloss over any possible good anything could be learned from anything, and say "this makes more money, your opinion is invalid."

At least hear people out or counter-argue things.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post

At least hear people out or counter-argue things.
    BenBos is impervious to facts and logic. Anything non blizzard is inferior by default to him.

Wow has always taken things from other games. They always have and always will. It is just good business. Hell Blizzard has always operated that way. Wow began as Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Starcraft is a copy of Warhammer 40K. Why change a winning formula?

On a related note, a while back (Isle of Thunder?) they implemented mob HP scaling with the number of players nearby - I was hoping to see more of that on TI but it seems to have been forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    On a related note, a while back (Isle of Thunder?) they implemented mob HP scaling with the number of players nearby - I was hoping to see more of that on TI but it seems to have been forgotten.
    It's mob hp scaling for each person that has hit him, and it is on TI. Watch any the rares get hit by multiple people - majority of them scale.