Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    In wow nope, that'd be all the poo quests! Talking bears cows pigmen and fish people going rarrahghghghghghgllllll are part of the game some of them since wc3!
    I'm going to address this now, because it's getting somewhat tiresome...

Irrespective of the whether the Pandaren are childish or not (which I don't believe they are,) you CANNOT say that Pandaren did not appear as "outwardly childish and silly" to many, MANY people. If you are claiming that they didn't, you clearly weren't paying attention when MoP was announced/released. Are Pandaren childish and silly? No. (So you DON'T have to respond to me trying to prove otherwise.)

But the simple fact of the matter is that they were very clearly viewed as "childish," and as unfortunate as it is, outward appearances are very important for drawing in new people, especially in video games. Compare that to the "cow people," which are essentially Minotaurs, or the "space goats," which are Aliens... Minotaurs are a classic fantasy mainstay, and "alien" can be used as a way to smooth over all manner of things... also helpful was the fact that the male Draenei were your typical fantasy body builders, while the female draenei were your typical fantasy lithe, curvaceous, seductive maidens.

But frankly, the large part of Pandaren being seen as "childish" was their connection to Kung Fu Panda, plain and simple. Again, I know that Pandaren came first, so you don't have to try and "assert" that point at me. But people instantly read it as "lol dreamworks rip off." Unfortunate? Yes. There are still a handful of people around here that despise the Pandaren (and usually make a point of it to state such.) But that's the way it happened. In fact, I'm sure that 99% of people that "hate" or "hated" the Pandaren wouldn't have given two figs about them if Kung Fu Panda wasn't a thing. They would have gone "Oh cool, the Pandaren finally made it in the game!" And gone about their merry way.

But I digress.

Now, as for the "no murlocs, they're childish/silly/stupid" point... I see the argument as being twofold. Weaknesses as a race both on a superficial and intrinsic level.
    1) Murlocs are pretty damn silly looking. They're two feet tall, they run around gibbering and flailing their limbs and speaking in broken english. And they certainly aren't well known outside the WoW universe as being as "integral to WoW" as they debatably are.
    2) They're basically GAGS within WoW itself. As I stated in an earlier post, they're basically the "punchlines" of "completely-incompetent-and-stupid-but-still-pains-in-the-ass" hall of lesser villains (shared with Kobolds, Gnolls, and troggs.) They're the cannon fodder enemies you just let out a discontented sigh over every time you have to deal with them. Moreover, they have no "culture" of which to speak, their greatest settlements are a few flimsy wooden hovels, and they have no ties to any of the races other than serving as "annoying thorns in their sides" from time to time.

Drawing any sort of comparison between Murlocs and the inclusion of the other various races doesn't address all the points evenly, and is therefore quite the false parallel. Pandaren were never "jokes" within WoW any more than being an inside reference tossed around prior to their release; they were "mysterious for the sake of being mysterious;" that was the joke. Worgen, prior to Cataclysm, may have been slavering, witless monsters, but they were just that- MONSTERS. Werewolves are yet another classic fantasy mainstay. Goblins may be "jokey," yes, but they are integral to the Horde's endeavors and possess powerful technologies and trade empires. But Murlocs get the short end of EVERY stick there. They're a Blizzard inside joke, but for being stupid and random. They're slavening, witless beasts, BUT aren't a classic fantasy trope. They're all around "jokey," but they don't have any race connections and no "mass culture" or "gravitas" behind it.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-10-14 at 08:37 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Pandaren were considered too inconsistent for WoW, but Blizzard added them anyway.

Compared with other possible races, Murlocs are way more popular.

The possiblity of popularity is very important.

Jinyu evolved from murlocs, they turned out fine.

With proper design, so would murlocs.
    Last edited by otarma; 2013-10-14 at 08:53 PM.

"Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

10+ Year Old Account
    No. As much as I like them, they wouldn't make a good playable race. They've never shown any intelligence comparable to sentient beings. More races brings more diversity but I think Blizz should focus on what is now and make that better.

Deleted
    Don't you know? People want only 'serious' playable races (like all those 'Give us High Elves! You know, the exact same ones as Blood Elves but for Alliance' people).
    I would like to have murlocs as an option. It's a fantasy game and for me playing human or human-like race is boring. I always go for something like tauren, asura or baraka. It's more fun for me this way.

I would quit instantly if they were Alliance. I despise Murlocs, if I had to play with them I wouldn't play. If they were Horde I would go out of my way to make sure anyone playing a Murloc dies as often as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otarma View Post
    Pandaren were considered too inconsistent for WoW, but Blizzard added them anyway.

Compared with other possible races, Murlocs are way more popular.

The possiblity of popularity is very important.

Jinyu evolved from murlocs, they turned out fine.

With proper design, so would murlocs.
    Then why not just give the Alliance Jinyu and be done with it... Jinyu actually have ties to the Alliance, aren't just a gag, look visually impressive, and actually have a whole culture to themselves.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    No I do not think it is even remotely possible that they could be the next playable race, and If they were I probably would not think of playing one. As Kalereder has stated Murlocs are basically a gag race with no culture to speak of and nothing like a real town or city to call their own, these are huge drawbacks for any potential playable race. Basically you meet them for a few handful of quests, slaughter them by the dozen and then quickly forget about them as you move on. They have zero power and play very little part in the overall story of warcraft but yeah they make great pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Problems:

1 - They have only the absolute basics of a hierarchy
    2 - They have no known or understood language beyond MARRHAHHGHLGHLGL
    3 - They are fun and quirky, look how that image went down with the Padaren, murlocs are sillier still.
    4 - As far as we know, they can literally only be bad mages and bad warriors, relying numbers than skill
    5 - The Jinyu exist, which work pretty much as evolved murlocs solving all the above problems, ironically creating this one: The Jinyu are a much more logical choice for fish person race.
    1. How do we know? For all we know, they could be the most intelligent race :3
    2. Nerglish and some can speak Common or Orcish (Salt-Flop of the Rockpool Tribe)
    3. Murlocs actually became so popular as to become a sort of "icon" for WoW and Blizzard
    4. And what are we as a group of players beating down a solo boss? We are their bosses . . . for the moment :3
    5. Jinyu use the Night elven model, and what about Naga?

I highly doubt it. Murlocs are just simple creatures in WoW. With very little or no lore behind them. I cannot see a single point to make Murlocs a playable race. Its the same as making Rabbit Critters a playable race. Not gonna happen.

Murlocs for Alliance, Hogger for Horde. If they did that...

INSTANT SUB INCREASE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you guys get it yet? Murlocs are just acting stupid. As soon as you turn around and look away, they start chatting about nuclear physics and space-time continuums.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    Blizzard didn't ruin anything. Whiney players too blind to tell the differences between Pandaren and Kung Fu Panda are the true issue.
    Oh?

whos the blind now?
    who are you ppl anyways?
    why are you trying to kindergarten my beloved franchise since 1994?

taurens and gnomes have roots in myths and folklore stories all the way back to the ancient Greek / Roman / Norse mythology...
    they all came in wow 1.0 in a selection of 8 races...

please get out of my game with your dance studio / murloc / pandaren / fishman / talking monkeys playable races dilution suggestions...

Look at the differences, not the commonalities. Yes, they have the same stances... because both of them are using martial arts, which are fairly rigid.
    But the design is completely different.

Po looks goofy doing that stuff. The pandaren i would believe if he tells me he's going to cave my face in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    You're telling me this isn't the silliest thing you've ever seen?

Not by a long, long shot. I pity those who think this is the silliest thing in the world. They must lead incredbibly boring lives.
    Last edited by huth; 2013-10-15 at 08:02 AM.

Deleted
    I hope not, can't stand Murlocs. Most annoying thing in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Look at the differences, not the commonalities. Yes, they have the same stances... because both of them are using martial arts, which are fairly rigid.
    But the design is completely different.

Po looks goofy doing that stuff. The pandaren i would believe if he tells me he's going to cave my face in..
    2 panda bears fighting martial arts in a china-like land and you trying to convince me that the design is different ? what do you mean? the size of the ears or the
    color of thier eyes? ...yeah, its so totaly different design.

edit:
    oh and one more thing i just noticed unintentionally, all the pandarens i showed are blizz NPCs and not players,
    can you see that even blizzard default design of the panderans consist of two brown eye patches on a white face with
    two brown ears...just like your "PO" ?
    Last edited by john duo; 2013-10-15 at 08:58 AM.

In the past, despite how much I love murlocs I would have said it's probably too silly to be a player race. However now that we have pandas, apparently anything goes so sure why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'm going to address this now, because it's getting somewhat tiresome...

Irrespective of the whether the Pandaren are childish or not (which I don't believe they are,) you CANNOT say that Pandaren did not appear as "outwardly childish and silly" to many, MANY people. If you are claiming that they didn't, you clearly weren't paying attention when MoP was announced/released. Are Pandaren childish and silly? No. (So you DON'T have to respond to me trying to prove otherwise.)

But the simple fact of the matter is that they were very clearly viewed as "childish," and as unfortunate as it is, outward appearances are very important for drawing in new people, especially in video games. Compare that to the "cow people," which are essentially Minotaurs, or the "space goats," which are Aliens... Minotaurs are a classic fantasy mainstay, and "alien" can be used as a way to smooth over all manner of things... also helpful was the fact that the male Draenei were your typical fantasy body builders, while the female draenei were your typical fantasy lithe, curvaceous, seductive maidens.

But frankly, the large part of Pandaren being seen as "childish" was their connection to Kung Fu Panda, plain and simple. Again, I know that Pandaren came first, so you don't have to try and "assert" that point at me. But people instantly read it as "lol dreamworks rip off." Unfortunate? Yes. There are still a handful of people around here that despise the Pandaren (and usually make a point of it to state such.) But that's the way it happened. In fact, I'm sure that 99% of people that "hate" or "hated" the Pandaren wouldn't have given two figs about them if Kung Fu Panda wasn't a thing. They would have gone "Oh cool, the Pandaren finally made it in the game!" And gone about their merry way.

But I digress.

Now, as for the "no murlocs, they're childish/silly/stupid" point... I see the argument as being twofold. Weaknesses as a race both on a superficial and intrinsic level.
    1) Murlocs are pretty damn silly looking. They're two feet tall, they run around gibbering and flailing their limbs and speaking in broken english. And they certainly aren't well known outside the WoW universe as being as "integral to WoW" as they debatably are.
    2) They're basically GAGS within WoW itself. As I stated in an earlier post, they're basically the "punchlines" of "completely-incompetent-and-stupid-but-still-pains-in-the-ass" hall of lesser villains (shared with Kobolds, Gnolls, and troggs.) They're the cannon fodder enemies you just let out a discontented sigh over every time you have to deal with them. Moreover, they have no "culture" of which to speak, their greatest settlements are a few flimsy wooden hovels, and they have no ties to any of the races other than serving as "annoying thorns in their sides" from time to time.

Drawing any sort of comparison between Murlocs and the inclusion of the other various races doesn't address all the points evenly, and is therefore quite the false parallel. Pandaren were never "jokes" within WoW any more than being an inside reference tossed around prior to their release; they were "mysterious for the sake of being mysterious;" that was the joke. Worgen, prior to Cataclysm, may have been slavering, witless monsters, but they were just that- MONSTERS. Werewolves are yet another classic fantasy mainstay. Goblins may be "jokey," yes, but they are integral to the Horde's endeavors and possess powerful technologies and trade empires. But Murlocs get the short end of EVERY stick there. They're a Blizzard inside joke, but for being stupid and random. They're slavening, witless beasts, BUT aren't a classic fantasy trope. They're all around "jokey," but they don't have any race connections and no "mass culture" or "gravitas" behind it.
    I've no doubt that they were seen as childish by some fact is this game has many races in it and other elements that can be viewd just as childish. That was my posts entire point. Why say Pandaren are childish and ruin the game (not you personally but some sections) when they are no better/worse than any other race we currently have.

I thought while they had a child friendly theme with the pandaren they also had a good story behind them that was well done. Wow has always been family/child friendly and is a good thing imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
    To my knowledge this is the first time they have done this
    You are right never have given out a murloc before.
    blizzcon 2011-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=54438

blizzcon 2010-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=51122

blizzcon 2009-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=34694

blizzcon 2005-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15186

EU Fansite promo-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=16069

EU BC collecters-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15358

Korean Promo-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15361

arena tournament-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=33578

arena tournament 2013-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=71655

icoke taiwan-http://www.wowhead.com/npc=16445

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TL;DR