so I am 87 currently and get owned by 90 mobs in the Vale, but my mage/SP do well

Is this a noob issue? I am running a logical series of rotations, get 2 diseases up, hit obliterate, or if on cooldown, frost strike, sneak in the howling blast on the rime procs.

I fill the time with some vader grip thing (upgraded strangle) and my cooldowns as required.

I have a few macro's to heal myself with death coil and the pet heal thing.

My ilevel is about 370 currently not that much lower then my mage and SP. I just seem to die a lot where my shadow priest and mage.

They seem on the brink "ripping through the mobs" in a level at 88 where I am constantly fearing for my life on the 90 mobs in the vale on my DK but I do seem to enjoy him.

Any tips or advice?

Spec Blood. Frost is squishy.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

use the dark succor glyph to help keep yourself up.
    if you're fighting higher lvl mobs blood would probably be better, you can pull tons and not die.

Spec Blood and laugh as you fear absolutely nothing that was killing you before.

Go blood. I've been maining a DK since the day they were released. Frost/unholy for pvp and raiding.

Blood for absolutely anything and everything else in the open world. You can pull as many mobs as you want and it will not dent your health bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll need to be blood if you're going to try to tackle level 90 content at 87...

...why are you doing that anyway? Why not just complete the content in the order it's supposed to be? They already nerfed the XP considerably so it doesn't even take that long

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    Spec Blood. Frost is squishy.
    Yep, I tried leveling Frost but its too risky and slow. Especially when you hit Dread Wastes that place is a nightmare in Frost. I died so many times because I pulled and adds came after me.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Frost Dks are super squishy, if your having trouble try to throw in the occasional death strike which will heal you for like 20-30k depending on gear, and pop anti-magic shell, it will save you trust me

Yep, I tried leveling Frost but its too risky and slow. Especially when you hit Dread Wastes that place is a nightmare in Frost. I died so many times because I pulled and adds came after me.
    I leveled as frost and had absolutely no problems, but I did have to be careful on pulls and stuff. Leveling as Blood would probably have been less stressful, but I was able to level as Frost without much issue, just have to stay on level appropriate content... Shit, I was level 87 before I even left Jade Forest, why are you skipping everything to get to the Vale? Do Valley of Four Winds, Kun-Lai, Krasarang, etc... you'll be 90 before you know it with a whole lot less deaths.

just amazing how badly the spreiest and mage rip these mobs up yet I get killed constantly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    just amazing how badly the spreiest and mage rip these mobs up yet I get killed constantly
    I've leveled both a spriest and a frost mage to level 90 and the mage had a lot of trouble doing it, even with slows, snares, and ice barrier. My priest fared better but it wasn't a walk in the park like blood is.

Welcome to Melee.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    Weird. I have several friends who were CONSTANTLY bitching about how squishy their mages were even against same level mobs, they certainly weren't ripping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Weird. I have several friends who were CONSTANTLY bitching about how squishy their mages were even against same level mobs, they certainly weren't ripping them up.
    They need to be better.

Mages are stronger for leveling now than they were at the start of the expansion. I remember having to go Fire on mine because Frost was too slow and Arcane would hard OOM every other pull.

Anyway, if you insist on leveling as Frost, I'd recommend making liberal use of Asphyxiate and Remorseless Winter, and taking Death Siphon as your T1 talent so you don't have to spend all your runes on Death Strikes. Don't forget you can go ham with Army every ten minutes too. But it really is so much easier to just go Blood. The damage is noticeably lower, but you can actually AoE packs of mobs without fear, so it's easily worth it, especially if you don't have an heirloom weapon from Dread Wastes or Archaeology.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Mages are stronger for leveling now than they were at the start of the expansion. I remember having to go Fire on mine because Frost was too slow and Arcane would hard OOM every other pull.

Anyway, if you insist on leveling as Frost, I'd recommend making liberal use of Asphyxiate and Remorseless Winter, and taking Death Siphon as your T1 talent so you don't have to spend all your runes on Death Strikes. Don't forget you can go ham with Army every ten minutes too. But it really is so much easier to just go Blood. The damage is noticeably lower, but you can actually AoE packs of mobs without fear, so it's easily worth it, especially if you don't have an heirloom weapon from Dread Wastes or Archaeology.
    Can't have remorseless winter at level 87. The rest of the advice is sound.

Ah, right. For some reason I keep thinking everyone's level 90 abilities are for damage... because it's true for every class but Death Knights...
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Are some of you in this thread serious? You don't even need to play Blood to level. It's sooo slow and yeah you can't die, but its awfully slow.

Play DW Frost. Learn to actually abuse Death Siphon, Blood Tap, Chillblains, Plague Leech, Lichborne and Dark Succor. You can't die. Literally, you can't die. And yes, you're going to have to actually manage your runes in some cases when you pull more than 4 enemies. And yes, you will need to use pillar of Frost to kill shit quick so you can consistently chain Dark Succor heals.

I had no problems leveling as DW Frost in 5.0 when it wasn't even as buffed as it is now. It literally does enormous amounts of damage with shitty gear, that I have no clue how some of you even play blood with its weak aoe and single target damage.

I could go in depth on how to survive as a dps specced dk in pve situations but I'm not going to waste my time. If someone really wants to know then ask and I may reply, otherwise play Blood and waste your time.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Get yourself that spear from archeology, upgrade it to 471 ilvl, use glyph of dark succour and watch mobs die.
    I leveled 6 characters to 90 and so far DK is my favorite one, with KM huge procs. I'm really surprised you have troubles with him. On elites, if you not sure of yourself, go blood.